ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 4 maintenance confusion

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MSKF

tier 4 maintenance confusion

Post by MSKF » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello,

I'm a bit confused about the maintenance fees requirement. Do I have to keep both the maintenance funds and tuition fees in my account for 28 days? or just the 9-10k in my account for the maintenance for 28 days?

I am thinking about paying the university AFTER I get the visa. Should I show the tuition fees in my account for 28 days too?

srsw

Re: tier 4 maintenance confusion

Post by srsw » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:15 pm

You can always make part payment (I paid 1000 GBP), which was then mentioned in the CAS and then I applied for Visa. For visa purposes, the minimum you need maintain will be mentioned in the visa guidance, so that's the minimum you need to keep.

However, you also need to attach evidence that you have funds to pay your tuition fees, living expenses, etc. (either your/parent's funds or approved bank education loan).

Hope that helps.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:35 pm

MSKF wrote:Should I show the tuition fees in my account for 28 days too?
Yes, unless you just pay some or all of them straight to the university and have the CAS updated before you apply.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

MSKF

Post by MSKF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:27 am

I'll keep both in account just in case.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 pm

MSKF wrote:I'll keep both in account just in case.
Just in case what?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

MSKF

Post by MSKF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:33 pm

I'll keep both the tuition fees and living costs in my bank account. The reason being that if I decide to pay the university later on before my visa application, I will be safe. If I don't keep the tuition in my account now, then my own option will be to pay it and then apply for the visa.

Sunnykuku1
Newly Registered

Post by Sunnykuku1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Suppose ur fees is 10000.... U Paid 5000 advance.... Now remaining 5000 + 11385 u have to keep in account untouched fr 28 days... Remember pound is very fluctuating these days... Better keep one lakh extra else it may create problem fr u.... M on the same ship thats y suggesting u

georgesotiro
Newly Registered

Post by georgesotiro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:43 pm

I would like to add one more question to that. It says to keep the money in the account for 28 days, but it also states that the money should continue to be available to you even after the application is made. What do you understand from that? For how long should we keep it in the account?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:49 pm

georgesotiro wrote:It says to keep the money in the account for 28 days, but it also states that the money should continue to be available to you even after the application is made. What do you understand from that? For how long should we keep it in the account?
You seem to have misunderstood, or not read the whole requirement. Where exactly are you reading this requirement? Quote and link?

georgesotiro
Newly Registered

Post by georgesotiro » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:23 am

The money you show us must be for your use for studying and living in the UK. The full amount of this money – which should be held in the manner specified in this guidance – must continue to be available to you after your application is made, except for any money you have to pay for course fees and living costs.

This is in page 48 of the T4 Migrant guidance

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:08 am

georgesotiro wrote:The full amount of this money – which should be held in the manner specified in this guidance – must continue to be available to you after your application is made, except for any money you have to pay for course fees and living costs.
Maybe you missed the part I have made bold. The money you are showing is for your tuition fees and living costs, so of course it is fine and normal to spend it on those things.

georgesotiro
Newly Registered

Post by georgesotiro » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:36 pm

I agree with what you say. But how can you prove it has been used for this purpose? Do you have any idea if they are going to look into that? For example if someone else paid your fees and you have to pay him back, is that a sufficient reason for this money to be gone from the account?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:01 pm

georgesotiro wrote:But how can you prove it has been used for this purpose? Do you have any idea if they are going to look into that? For example if someone else paid your fees and you have to pay him back, is that a sufficient reason for this money to be gone from the account?
You are over thinking it. It just needs to be true that the money really is for your fees and living costs.

If the Home Office has reason to believe that you have lied in your application about anything, including about the money for your fees and living costs, they may follow up as part of assessing your application.

So if you are anxious about this, just keep evidence that the money is still there, or that it has been spent on your fees and living costs. It is unlikely to be needed, but it may give you peace of mind.

mohammed1980

Post by mohammed1980 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:43 pm

sah10406 wrote:
georgesotiro wrote:But how can you prove it has been used for this purpose? Do you have any idea if they are going to look into that? For example if someone else paid your fees and you have to pay him back, is that a sufficient reason for this money to be gone from the account?
You are over thinking it. It just needs to be true that the money really is for your fees and living costs.

If the Home Office has reason to believe that you have lied in your application about anything, including about the money for your fees and living costs, they may follow up as part of assessing your application.

So if you are anxious about this, just keep evidence that the money is still there, or that it has been spent on your fees and living costs. It is unlikely to be needed, but it may give you peace of mind.
@sah10406 - how can one spend the money on living costs when the visa is not granted? The living costs is not in your home country but in the UK. So the money eg.9135 must be in your account in full. And if you say you have paid a part of tuition fee after the visa application was made, then you of couse need to show them proof.

To cut the story short, the whole maintenance amount and the whole tuition fee amount except what you have already paid to get CAS must be in your account.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:01 pm

mohammed1980 wrote:@sah10406 - how can one spend the money on living costs when the visa is not granted?
If you are doing an entry clearance application, obviously you will not have all the ongoing current UK living costs that a leave to remain applicant would have. But you may well be booking and paying for your housing, which may include utilities and/or catering, so it is fine and normal to do that with the money you have shown in your application.