ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent Visa to Portugal

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kayzee83
Newly Registered

Urgent Visa to Portugal

Post by kayzee83 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello everyone

Hoping someone can direct me. Im in a bit of pickle...

I am currently in the UK on an ILR visa obtained through the Tier1 route. My wife and kids are British nationals. I understand a Schengen Visa is free to me however here is my dilemma;

We planned a last minute trip to Portugal this month end to celebrate my father in laws 80th birthday and booked everything up. I have had 4-5 Schengen Visa's in the past (which have now expired) so assumed everything would be smooth. Now, I am not able to secure a date for the visa appointment at the Portuguese Consulate before my travel date. I have all the documents in place. I can check for cancellations every day but that's a bit risky. Can anyone suggest what can be done in this scenario?

Please help as I do not wish to lose out the money invested in this holiday.

Regards
Kay

gokulatti
Member of Standing
Norway

Re: Urgent Visa to Portugal

Post by gokulatti » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:15 pm

This is very common question people ask. I am sure if you dig around the forum you should find the answers. In any case, in a nutshell- you technically do not need a visa to visit schengen countries if you are travelling with your wife. However, airlines are strict about schengen visa requirement and likely will not let you board the flight to reach the schengen border, But there are instances when airlines have allowed people to board if travelling with the eu national. Therefore its a risky endeavour.

From the top of my head, if you have all the documents ready including an apostiled marriage certificate, you could technically go by train to paris/brussels by thalys or eurostar and when you reach the schengen border, you should be able to get a visa. From there you could go get a flight to portugal. except a lot of delay.

You could also take a lot of EU directive prints and Border Guards Handbook to bombard the airlines staff, so as to reason with them to let you board the plane. I personally don't see any other option. I am sorry for your situation. Hopefully you get it sorted out.

kayzee83
Newly Registered

Post by kayzee83 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:02 pm

gokulatti wrote:This is very common question people ask. I am sure if you dig around the forum you should find the answers. In any case, in a nutshell- you technically do not need a visa to visit schengen countries if you are travelling with your wife. However, airlines are strict about schengen visa requirement and likely will not let you board the flight to reach the schengen border, But there are instances when airlines have allowed people to board if travelling with the eu national. Therefore its a risky endeavour.

From the top of my head, if you have all the documents ready including an apostiled marriage certificate, you could technically go by train to paris/brussels by thalys or eurostar and when you reach the schengen border, you should be able to get a visa. From there you could go get a flight to portugal. except a lot of delay.

You could also take a lot of EU directive prints and Border Guards Handbook to bombard the airlines staff, so as to reason with them to let you board the plane. I personally don't see any other option. I am sorry for your situation. Hopefully you get it sorted out.
Thank you. I will pop down to the Embassy/Consulate. Hopefully there is a work around.

kayzee83
Newly Registered

Post by kayzee83 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Resolved!

Filled in a form to travel on a random day way after my actual travel dates in April, booked appointment for later in May and just walked into the embassy. The guys at the desk dont understand English very well so on not finding me on the list and by me showing the email, form, passports etc they issued me with a D token. Went straight up and handed the file over with the correct form with my actual travel dates and everything went smoothly. A blank form is available to print on their website. Only downside is it has to be manually filled in but worth it in the end.

You got to be a bit ahead of the game and think smart and somehow find your way in. Thereafter they cannot refuse you to file especially if your travel is in the near future. They know their website is prehistoric so you can get away with a lot especially if you have genuine intentions.

soumyaseetharam
Newly Registered

Post by soumyaseetharam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Kayzee83, Can you please explain this a little. I am in the same situation and plan on walking in. When you said you filled in a form to travel on a random day way after your actual travel dates, what do you mean? Are you saying that they would not have given you the token if you had the correct dates on your form? Also did you tell the guy at the desk that you had an appointment for that day and that's why they let you in even through your name was not on the list?

I plan to walk in on Monday and this is my first Schengen Visa experience. Multiple emails to the embassy just returns the same scripted response.

Thank you!
Soumya Seetharam
kayzee83 wrote:Resolved!

Filled in a form to travel on a random day way after my actual travel dates in April, booked appointment for later in May and just walked into the embassy. The guys at the desk dont understand English very well so on not finding me on the list and by me showing the email, form, passports etc they issued me with a D token. Went straight up and handed the file over with the correct form with my actual travel dates and everything went smoothly. A blank form is available to print on their website. Only downside is it has to be manually filled in but worth it in the end.

You got to be a bit ahead of the game and think smart and somehow find your way in. Thereafter they cannot refuse you to file especially if your travel is in the near future. They know their website is prehistoric so you can get away with a lot especially if you have genuine intentions.