ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brp card

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

soleiljeje75
Newly Registered

Brp card

Post by soleiljeje75 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi, i have applied for a transfer from my outdated passport with indefinite stamp on it, for a brp card. i am quiet anxious as it is nearly 3 weeks, since i sent the application and money was taken on 24/03/2017. my employer asked me to spot working until i get at least the BRP number. i am very worry about my work.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Brp card

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 pm

You should ask your employer to use the Employer Checking Service.
https://www.gov.uk/employee-immigration ... ent-status

You are no longer under immigration control and if you are prevented from working your employer could face an unfair dismissal claim unless you are offered paid leave while you are waiting for your BRP.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

soleiljeje75
Newly Registered

Post by soleiljeje75 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:55 pm

they refused and only want an acknowlegement which come with the BRP number. how long it takes to get that?

soleiljeje75
Newly Registered

Re: NTL to Brp card

Post by soleiljeje75 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Application Submitted on: 22/03/2017
Payement made : 24/03/2017
Acknowlegment letter : Waiting.......
Biometrics Letter : waiting.......

HassledMe16
Newly Registered

Post by HassledMe16 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:49 am

Hi
Are you any further with this? I am at great risk of losing new job as my ILR stamp is in old passport so had to apply for NTL BRP to appease employer. However, it's now been over 2 weeks since monies taken by Home Office and I have heard nothing. It's a disgrace that they take money and then leave everyone in limbo. Just an acknowledgment would suffice and stop such stress for applicants who need to provide this info to employers.
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 01, 2017 12:00 pm

Is this a new employer?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

HassledMe16
Newly Registered

Post by HassledMe16 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks for reply. Yes a new employer. I was asked to leave after one day of work. I have resided in UK for over 45 years and worked for nearly 30 of those years. I have a NI number etc etc. It's because my indefinite leave is not in my current passport so I had to apply for NTL BRP. I am desperate for help on at least getting an acknowledgement letter to show employer. I have tried everything but it's Impossible. My employer won't wait much longer, seems a ludicrous set up. I believe it was you who replied on a previous link to ask employer to undertake the right to work check but they are wanting a reference number or acknowledgement of application. Please can you assist further? Thanks.

Hello:2017
Newly Registered

Post by Hello:2017 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:56 am

HassledMe16 wrote:Thanks for reply. Yes a new employer. I was asked to leave after one day of work. I have resided in UK for over 45 years and worked for nearly 30 of those years. I have a NI number etc etc. It's because my indefinite leave is not in my current passport so I had to apply for NTL BRP. I am desperate for help on at least getting an acknowledgement letter to show employer. I have tried everything but it's Impossible. My employer won't wait much longer, seems a ludicrous set up. I believe it was you who replied on a previous link to ask employer to undertake the right to work check but they are wanting a reference number or acknowledgement of application. Please can you assist further? Thanks.
Hi this is totally madness that your employer is asking for this...you should be exempt from being checked again as you were already employed by this company (is this correct?), there is a law about this you need to look into this.

Your only option now is for your employer to speak with the HO and urge them along. Failing that, you could try to "upgrade" your application by getting an appointment to do this at the premium service. I would call the HO and get their advise.

The HO now do not acknowledge anyone's application made by post.

I would strongly advise anyone who is looking to get a BRP card to go to the premium service, it's very expensive but worth all the stress and worry.

Good luck.

HassledMe16
Newly Registered

Post by HassledMe16 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks for response - it's a new job, new employer - which has brought whole issue about. As regards contacting HO, would you be able to provide a relevant contact number for me/employer as all the 'helpline's have been of no help whatsoever - quoting they cannot comment on individual cases and need a reference number and I will just have to wait - they are very cold in their delivery and give the impression that they just want to get me off the phone - it's a horrendous service all round.

I just do not know where to go from this point so any further advise would be greatly appreciated in my quest to prevent me from losing a very good job.

Newly Registered

Post by Hello:2017 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:52 am

HassledMe16 wrote:Thanks for response - it's a new job, new employer - which has brought whole issue about. As regards contacting HO, would you be able to provide a relevant contact number for me/employer as all the 'helpline's have been of no help whatsoever - quoting they cannot comment on individual cases and need a reference number and I will just have to wait - they are very cold in their delivery and give the impression that they just want to get me off the phone - it's a horrendous service all round.

I just do not know where to go from this point so any further advise would be greatly appreciated in my quest to prevent me from losing a very good job.
Oh gosh..right, the only number that I have is 0330 123 2241. Now, I would ask them how you "upgrade" to a premium service. You will have to pay a lot more BUT it's well worth it so you do not loose your job. When did you send your application off by post? It will take about 4 weeks before you receive this biometrics invitation letter which has the all important ref number. If you have that ref number you can give it to your new employer immediately, that will satisfy them.

I totally know how you feel, it's not a very good system. I wasn't even aware about the changes in these permits until 2 years ago...I have been in the UK for 38 years on a foreign passport.

Please let me know how you get on...good luck.

Newly Registered

Post by Hello:2017 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 am

Hello:2017 wrote:
HassledMe16 wrote:Thanks for response - it's a new job, new employer - which has brought whole issue about. As regards contacting HO, would you be able to provide a relevant contact number for me/employer as all the 'helpline's have been of no help whatsoever - quoting they cannot comment on individual cases and need a reference number and I will just have to wait - they are very cold in their delivery and give the impression that they just want to get me off the phone - it's a horrendous service all round.

Oh gosh..right, the only number that I have is 0330 123 2241. Now, I would ask them how you "upgrade" to a premium service. You will have to pay a lot more BUT it's well worth it so you do not loose your job. When did you send your application off by post? It will take about 4 weeks before you receive this biometrics invitation letter which has the all important ref number. If you have that ref number you can give it to your new employer immediately, that will satisfy them.

I totally know how you feel, it's not a very good system. I wasn't even aware about the changes in these permits until 2 years ago...I have been in the UK for 38 years on a foreign passport.

Please let me know how you get on...good luck.
PS I forgot to mention, there is a special number for employers to call the HO on...when you call the number above, ask them for it. I would suggest that you ask your employer to call that number to verify your application. Are you able to take any leave from this new company to sort this BRP card out?

HassledMe16
Newly Registered

Post by HassledMe16 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 am

Hi
Thanks for response. It was on my second day of work with new employer that I was told I couldn't return to work until I had reference number in support of my application - neither they - or me, had any idea the process would take this long and after reading all the nightmare stories on different posts regarding the time scale my optimism on receiving anything soon has completely disappeared. Thanks so much for number but unfortunately that is the one where I get no help at all. Regarding the premium service, I have been informed because HO already have passports/application etc that interfering now could lead to even more confusion and chaos. I haven't been back to work since 10th April and really can't see employer waiting much longer. The whole HO system is a farce.

Newly Registered

Post by Hello:2017 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 am

HassledMe16 wrote:Hi
Thanks for response. It was on my second day of work with new employer that I was told I couldn't return to work until I had reference number in support of my application - neither they - or me, had any idea the process would take this long and after reading all the nightmare stories on different posts regarding the time scale my optimism on receiving anything soon has completely disappeared. Thanks so much for number but unfortunately that is the one where I get no help at all. Regarding the premium service, I have been informed because HO already have passports/application etc that interfering now could lead to even more confusion and chaos. I haven't been back to work since 10th April and really can't see employer waiting much longer. The whole HO system is a farce.
Hi
Prior to you being employed at your current work place, were they aware that you were in the process of or applying for this BRP card? I wasn't aware that this whole process can take up to 6 months. Now, I do believe that you will receive the "biometrics invitation letter" just a month after your postal application. So, I posted mine off ad payment was deducted on 21st March, on the 21st April I received the biometrics invitation letter. THAT is the most important letter that you will need in your life in order to work! Once that comes, you can contact your current employer and let them see that letter, there is a ref no which the employer needs to verify that you are indeed entitled to work here in the UK. As you have been here for 45 years, your case will be much more straightforward. I've been here for 38years, we are as good as "naturalised".
When did the monies get deducted from your account? If you paid by credit or debit card the payment is immediately. If it's a bankers draft it takes 5 days to clear.
Sorry that the number I gave you didn't help...you could try again and hopefully get someone more helpful?
I totally agree this system isn't great...!

HassledMe16
Newly Registered

Post by HassledMe16 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:08 am

Hi
No, I only became aware of new rule re BRP when new employer flagged up that my indefinite leave is now not acceptable as not in current passport. Thought no prob, I'll just go out of country to have stamp carried over to current passport (which has happened with each new passport I have obtained over the years) but even that has changed now. All feels so wrong as my Mother is British and I have been married to a British husband for 35 years! Not to mention I went through all schooling here etc etc - I was totally oblivious and many forums have said how this rule wasn't made public knowledge?! Being dramatic I feel rather persecuted - I have an NI number and have paid all contributions throughout working life in UK - I am as British as fish n chips! Application received by HO 13th April - bank holiday weekend to consider so monies taken 18th April via debit card. I just pray new employer will continue to hold position as judging by your timeline I won't receive anything soon. A simple acknowledgement would assist so many and helpline stated they no longer do this to save money!? Madness for sure. Thanks for feedback.

Newly Registered

Post by Hello:2017 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:44 pm

HassledMe16 wrote:Hi
No, I only became aware of new rule re BRP when new employer flagged up that my indefinite leave is now not acceptable as not in current passport. Thought no prob, I'll just go out of country to have stamp carried over to current passport (which has happened with each new passport I have obtained over the years) but even that has changed now. All feels so wrong as my Mother is British and I have been married to a British husband for 35 years! Not to mention I went through all schooling here etc etc - I was totally oblivious and many forums have said how this rule wasn't made public knowledge?! Being dramatic I feel rather persecuted - I have an NI number and have paid all contributions throughout working life in UK - I am as British as fish n chips! Application received by HO 13th April - bank holiday weekend to consider so monies taken 18th April via debit card. I just pray new employer will continue to hold position as judging by your timeline I won't receive anything soon. A simple acknowledgement would assist so many and helpline stated they no longer do this to save money!? Madness for sure. Thanks for feedback.
Hi...yes, I totally understand how you wouldn't have known about this BRP card because I myself was caught out but luckily an agency picked it up and explained that the process have changed. I think that the HO should have informed all Embassies in the UK about this change, when foreign nationals go to renew their passports that they are informed then...I am like you, my mother is British and my father is Malaysian, I have a Malaysian passport still. I have lived here since I was 9 years old, been to school, my 3 children were born here and have British passports. We would have had our NI cards since we were like 15 or 16! Well, I do think that you will get your biometrics letter by 13th May. I KNOW it seems a long way off but I truly believe that is when you receive it. DO NOT make any plans to go on holiday either as they are not quick to return your passports.

Can you not speak with your employer and ask them if you could just take "annul leave" whilst waiting for this? Is it worth you speaking with someone at the Citizens Advice Bureau?

HassledMe16
Newly Registered

Post by HassledMe16 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:19 pm

NEWSFLASH....miracle upon miracles I received biometrics enrolment letter yesterday 4th May 2017 - whoop whoop - although letter dated 28th April 2017?! Enrolled at post office yesterday and have been able to at last pass letter with reference number on to new employer today to allow right to work check ...hopefully it will prove positive and allow me to start work again...

I would say I have been very lucky thus far reading other peoples' nightmare timelines...

Applied 12th April 2017
HO received 13th April 2017
Monies taken from bank account 18th April (Easter Bank Holiday to consider 14th to 17th)
Biometrics letter received 4th May 2017 & processed at PO

Will have to wait and see how long it takes to receive passports/BRP card back but at least I have a reference number now - yippee!! :D

halfmooncrescent
Newly Registered

NTL application

Post by halfmooncrescent » Fri May 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Like everyone else in this community, I am one of them that was not aware about NTL / Biometric residence card hence I have to apply for NTL.

I was just about to start working this week and then the HR of my new workplace spotted that the ILR is not on my current passport. I could not start working now I have no choice but booked an appointment via premium service which is extremely expensive. (unbelievable).

I have a question to ask about NTL application - SECTION 3 PERSONAL HISTORY.... 3.11 How long have you lived in the UK? - DO I HAVE TO ANSWER SINCE I CAME TO UK? OR SINCE I HAVE MY INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN GRANTED?
IN THIS SECTION SAYS - 'PLEASE PROVIDE DETAILS OF ANY PERIODS OF ABSENCE OF MORE THAN 6 MONTHS DURING THAT TIME. - DO I HAVE TO ANSWER SINCE I CAME TO UK??? OR SINCE I HAVE GRANTED ILR?

I am very confused and certainly dont want to wrong answer...
I would very much appreciate it if you could help me!!

Thank you very much.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: NTL application

Post by CR001 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:13 pm

halfmooncrescent wrote:Like everyone else in this community, I am one of them that was not aware about NTL / Biometric residence card hence I have to apply for NTL.

I was just about to start working this week and then the HR of my new workplace spotted that the ILR is not on my current passport. I could not start working now I have no choice but booked an appointment via premium service which is extremely expensive. (unbelievable).

I have a question to ask about NTL application - SECTION 3 PERSONAL HISTORY.... 3.11 How long have you lived in the UK? - DO I HAVE TO ANSWER SINCE I CAME TO UK? OR SINCE I HAVE MY INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN GRANTED? Since the beginning as the question doesn't ask 'since you have held ILR.

IN THIS SECTION SAYS - 'PLEASE PROVIDE DETAILS OF ANY PERIODS OF ABSENCE OF MORE THAN 6 MONTHS DURING THAT TIME. - DO I HAVE TO ANSWER SINCE I CAME TO UK??? OR SINCE I HAVE GRANTED ILR? Any absence since the beginning.

I am very confused and certainly dont want to wrong answer...
I would very much appreciate it if you could help me!!

Thank you very much.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

halfmooncrescent
Newly Registered

NTL application

Post by halfmooncrescent » Fri May 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Thank you very much.
It was because I have filled all my absense from UK when I applied ILR so it seems repeating again.
Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: NTL application

Post by CR001 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:47 pm

halfmooncrescent wrote:Thank you very much.
It was because I have filled all my absense from UK when I applied ILR so it seems repeating again.
Thank you
Suggest if you want a hassle free application, answer the form as honestly as possible as HO asks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Newly Registered

Post by Hello:2017 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 am

HassledMe16 wrote:NEWSFLASH....miracle upon miracles I received biometrics enrolment letter yesterday 4th May 2017 - whoop whoop - although letter dated 28th April 2017?! Enrolled at post office yesterday and have been able to at last pass letter with reference number on to new employer today to allow right to work check ...hopefully it will prove positive and allow me to start work again...

I would say I have been very lucky thus far reading other peoples' nightmare timelines...

Applied 12th April 2017
Monies taken from bank account 18th April (Easter Bank Holiday to consider 14th to 17th)

Will have to wait and see how long it takes to receive passports/BRP card back but at least I have a reference number now - yippee!! :D

Newly Registered

Post by Hello:2017 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:42 am

HassledMe16 wrote:NEWSFLASH....miracle upon miracles I received biometrics enrolment letter yesterday 4th May 2017 - whoop whoop - although letter dated 28th April 2017?! Enrolled at post office yesterday and have been able to at last pass letter with reference number on to new employer today to allow right to work check ...hopefully it will prove positive and allow me to start work again...

Applied 12th April 2017

That's fantastic news! It's like winning the lottery...

You will definitely be allowed to work now, as that is what all employers want - that all important reference number!

I'm still waiting for my passports to be returned...the HO have had it since 20 March!