ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - eligible by marriage and 5 years in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

stacyf
Newly Registered

Naturalisation - eligible by marriage and 5 years in UK

Post by stacyf » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi
I am hoping to send in my application for naturalisation shortly - I've been in the UK almost 6 years and married a UK citizen just over a year ago - so am eligible on both counts. Is either eligibility criteria better than the other for basing my application on?

Also, I the website and help line say that the average processing time is 14 weeks/6 months - does it really take this long?

Thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi,

Were you physically present in the UK (no holidays, trips abroad, etc.) both 5 years and 3 years from the date the HO will receive your application? If yes, then you can choose either.

stacyf
Newly Registered

Post by stacyf » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:48 pm

yep, apart from the short trips out of the country that are allowed (eg nothing longer than 4 weeks at a time or for more than the annual or total limit).

My husband is from Northern Ireland and has an Irish passport but not a UK one - I presume he is still a UK citizen even without a passport?

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:14 pm

stacyf wrote:yep, apart from the short trips out of the country that are allowed (eg nothing longer than 4 weeks at a time or for more than the annual or total limit).

My husband is from Northern Ireland and has an Irish passport but not a UK one - I presume he is still a UK citizen even without a passport?
I meant that the HO does a strict test, say that they got your application on 20/02/08 and you go for the 5 years, you need to have been physically in the country in 20/02/03.

stacyf
Newly Registered

Post by stacyf » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:18 pm

I'll be able to check for 3 years ago but will have trouble checking an exact date 5 years ago as I had my last passport stolen. How do they check/expect you to prove that you were in the country on a certain date?

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:18 pm

stacyf wrote:My husband is from Northern Ireland and has an Irish passport but not a UK one - I presume he is still a UK citizen even without a passport?
You won't need a UK passport for him if you can get your mitts on his NI-issued birth certificate. That you will need.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:16 pm

stacyf wrote:I'll be able to check for 3 years ago but will have trouble checking an exact date 5 years ago as I had my last passport stolen. How do they check/expect you to prove that you were in the country on a certain date?
They usually go by the stamps in your passport and Section 2 of the AN form where you will have nicely sorted and tabulated the entries and exits for them.

When passports are lost, they do accept letters from your employer, university, what have you. But if you were in the country 3 years ago, it might be easier to go that way.