ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dear home office, we are not cash cows.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hernancortes

Dear home office, we are not cash cows.

Post by Hernancortes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:14 pm

Yet again there are proposals to increase the cost of visas for migrants( non EU) in the UK.

When will this government realise that many people i.e. students, work permit holders are actually struggling with the cost of living in the UK?
It is only a matter of time before many migrants favour a new destination where they could emigrate without the capricious visa cost increases and immigration rule changes without consideration for those whom it could affect.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:18 pm

Hear. hear!

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:38 pm

If I could make a suggestion to any non-EEA migrant considering coming to the UK, this would be it:

DO NOT COME TO THE UK!

There are places that treat legal migrants with much more consistency and, dare I say it, fairness than this country. I would go instead to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the USA before coming here. It's just not worth it. Had I not put down roots here, I wouldn't stay. The constant rule changes and instability are simply insupportable. Take your money and your talents elsewhere.

If you happened to blink whilst reading the above paragraphs, I humbly submit a recap:

DO NOT COME TO THE UK!

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:48 pm

I am on HSMP and i have seen HSMP rules changing twice in last 3 years..
ILR has been increased from 4 to 5 years..and now Citizenship limit is being increased from 1 year to X years..

Well, its really their call ,as they are "allowing" us to work here...But untill now i was planning to buy a house and settle down here..But i cnanot do it now as i dont know if i can stay here for long or not(Imagine buying a house one day and next day you dont qualify for FLR/some test/exam/ and you have to take a flight back home.)
.What happens to your house you just purchased??You cannot make any Long term plans being on sword edge..

WHY do they keep moving the Goalpost??

Ashish

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:54 pm

ashishashah wrote:now Citizenship limit is being increased from 1 year to X years..
What is this citizenship limit?

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:02 pm

olisun wrote:
ashishashah wrote:now Citizenship limit is being increased from 1 year to X years..
What is this citizenship limit?
They now say that 1 year after ILR is only "the minimum" to apply for citizenship, and don't give a maximum.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Welcome to 'The UK plc', fine purveyor of citizenships for the discerning customer.

Not satisfied with your rubbish country? No money, benefits or streets paved with Gold? Your worries are over, come to The UK plc and be rewarded with:

1. Glorious Bracing Weather!!

2. Fine Fish and Chips and Pies!!

3. Fair Tax system - everything is taxed - now that's fair!

All for the small cost of £5000, migrant tax and obligatory Community Service cleaning Wanderers car. It's filthy.

This offer expires when recession starts and you may be liable to repatriated at your own cost or face a lifetime ban from breathing or otherwise being alive*.

The Government

* This is not a thinly veiled threat and should not be viewed as such unless you want your legs broken.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mym
Member of Standing

Re: Dear home office, we are not cash cows.

Post by mym » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Hernancortes wrote: It is only a matter of time before many migrants favour a new destination
That's the point...
--
Mark Y-M
London

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:38 pm

mym wrote:
Hernancortes wrote: It is only a matter of time before many migrants favour a new destination
That's the point...
Where tho?

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Wanderer wrote:Where tho?
Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:55 pm

paulp wrote:
UK is following Aussie model so I assume it's just as bad there, NZ and Canada - don't they have similar systems? ISTR looking in Canada and being scared off my the cost. Was a while ago tho...

Europe seems to be the centre of things now, but even the traditionally strong EU economies like Germany are pants now.

Russia anyone? Loads of money there now, but believe it or not immigration is a nightmare...

vory zakone...

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:16 pm

Wanderer wrote:UK is following Aussie model so I assume it's just as bad there, NZ and Canada - don't they have similar systems? ISTR looking in Canada and being scared off my the cost. Was a while ago tho...
Can the UK compete on quality of life and weather?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 pm

paulp wrote:
Wanderer wrote:UK is following Aussie model so I assume it's just as bad there, NZ and Canada - don't they have similar systems? ISTR looking in Canada and being scared off my the cost. Was a while ago tho...
Can the UK compete on quality of life and weather?
Of course, the North Sea Gale in Scarborough is SOOOO bracing!

I know what you mean tho - the UK is a business not a country....

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:23 pm

This is really frustrating.. It seems like maybe for HSMP it's similar, but they gotta stop making changes, it's hard to plan and it's getting more and more expensive.. All while living somewhere with a lower quality of life..

And I agree, they're going to end up missing out on highly skilled immigration to places like Canada or Australia. The thing that's working well for the UK is the speed of the process. For Canada, the waiting list is 4 years from the US, or even more from the UK at last count. But - they give you ILR right away, no waiting. And unless it's changed, citizenship can come after 3 years in Canada. So that's 2 points.

The UK can also attract talent because their citizenship bestows EU access. That's one of the reasons why I'm here instead of Canada or Australia.

I just hope we're going to stop the changes, but my guess is that in 3 years when it's time for me to apply for ILR, (or probationary citizenship), the process won't be the same as what they're even talking about now. How frustrating.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:36 pm

UKbound wrote:And I agree, they're going to end up missing out on highly skilled immigration to places like Canada or Australia. The thing that's working well for the UK is the speed of the process. For Canada, the waiting list is 4 years from the US, or even more from the UK at last count. But - they give you ILR right away, no waiting. And unless it's changed, citizenship can come after 3 years in Canada. So that's 2 points.
I'm Canadian and American, so I really feel like a berk. What the hell am I doing here?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:16 pm

paulp wrote:Can the UK compete on quality of life and weather?
My sister is settled in Australia, while she is happy about the weather it's opposite for the quality of life over there...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:21 pm

olisun wrote:
paulp wrote:Can the UK compete on quality of life and weather?
My sister is settled in Australia, while she is happy about the weather it's opposite for the quality of life over there...
And they're miles behind on Coronation Street too...

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:56 pm

olisun wrote:My sister is settled in Australia, while she is happy about the weather it's opposite for the quality of life over there...
How does she define quality of life? Stress levels, commute time or easy access to bars?

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Why do they want to get rid of us so badly?
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Wanderer wrote: the UK is a business not a country....

Voted POST of the MONTH :lol:
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:54 pm

The biggest joke in these new changes is this bit about 'probationary citizens' and how by 'actively contributing' to the community, people under this category can expect to become 'full citizens' in a 'minimum of 1 year'. And how do you prove you are 'active'? By getting involved in voluntary work!

I suppose this means on top of being a productive immigrant, i.e. holding a well-paying job, paying taxes, etc. you also need to do voluntary work. Forget that leisure time, folks! Get 'active'!

Jeez, the whole thing looks like something cooked up at a pub over a drink...

Green paper indeed...perhaps belongs in a loo?
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:06 pm

This is why so many people are leaving and not thinking of going back. Australia is not paradise but a hell lot better and lifestyle is more relaxing. Rules are simple and straightforward. If you qualify to become a resident, you get it straight off without beating about the bush for 5, 10 or 14 years and just carry on with your life. So simple.

alientrader

Post by alientrader » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:01 am

global gypsy wrote:The biggest joke in these new changes is this bit about 'probationary citizens' and how by 'actively contributing' to the community, people under this category can expect to become 'full citizens' in a 'minimum of 1 year'. And how do you prove you are 'active'? By getting involved in voluntary work!

I suppose this means on top of being a productive immigrant, i.e. holding a well-paying job, paying taxes, etc. you also need to do voluntary work. Forget that leisure time, folks! Get 'active'!

Jeez, the whole thing looks like something cooked up at a pub over a drink...

Green paper indeed...perhaps belongs in a loo?
You msut clean the homes of chavs for 12 hours before they allow u citizenship

alientrader

Post by alientrader » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:02 am

Wanderer wrote:
paulp wrote:
UK is following Aussie model so I assume it's just as bad there, NZ and Canada - don't they have similar systems? ISTR looking in Canada and being scared off my the cost. Was a while ago tho...

Europe seems to be the centre of things now, but even the traditionally strong EU economies like Germany are pants now.

Russia anyone? Loads of money there now, but believe it or not immigration is a nightmare...

vory zakone...
Australia DOES NOT retrospectively apply new regulations

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:17 am

This compulsory voluntary service is an oxymoron in my mind. Somewhere between working long hours as highly skilled, high tax paying migrants, you will have to use any leisure time you would normally hope to spend with your family or unwinding doing voluntary work. I have no problem with rewarding those who volunteer but making it compulsory is ignoring the reality of what the working life of many highly skilled person involves.
'In everything give thanks'