ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

toruist visa to India before surrending the passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ILRasi
Mood:
India

toruist visa to India before surrending the passport

Post by ILRasi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:41 am

Hi,

Can I apply tourist visa to India before surrendering the India passport or applying for OCI card?Once I get tourist visa I can travel to India while OCI application is in progress.

Please let me know is it allowed.

Thank you.

tjoseph
Newly Registered

Re: toruist visa to India before surrending the passport

Post by tjoseph » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 am

Yes, you can apply for a tourist visa without surrendering your indian passport.
You can also travel to india while oci application is under progress.
You are applying tourist visa based on your current nationality, as long as you don't display your unrevoked indian passport (if you have it on hand at the time of travel) to the indian immigration officials, everything should be fine.
You can even travel on your indian passport, as long as you are willing to pay a fine for each journey, which needs to paid during the passport surrender application.

secret.simon

Re: toruist visa to India before surrending the passport

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:53 am

You can travel on your Indian passport for 90 days after your (British) citizenship ceremony. Any further than that and you will be liable for a fine from the Indian authorities at the time of passport surrender which is definitely required for the purpose of applying for OCI.

To the best of my knowledge, VFS and the Indian High Commission will check your place of birth mentioned in the British passport and may raise questions if you are applying for an Indian tourist visa and do not have a surrender certificate.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.