ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage Certificate not available

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Shhameed
India

Marriage Certificate not available

Post by Shhameed » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply for Naturalization for me along with my wife and kids.

I have all other documents in place. But for the Marriage certificate. We got married in India about 15 years back and I do not have a government registered Marriage Certificate. But the one given by our community people.

But I have my wife name endorsed in my Indian passport as spouse. I can provide my company's letter stating my wife's name as spouse as in companies record. Also My wife's name is there in kids's birth Certificate. I have council tax and rental agreement in both of our names.

Would this help !!.

I am not sure if I can trace back to get my marriage certificate from India anymore!!.

Please advice.
Regards
Shahul

aprilclub

Post by aprilclub » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:02 am

You do not need to trace your marriage certificate. You an get one made now, post facto.

You need to go to a marriage registrar in India and request one. He will need a photograph of your ceremony, an invitation card and 2/3 witnesses who were present in your marriage. After one month of posting a notice in his office to allow any objection ( sounds bizzare given that there are hundreds of registrars in a big city) you and your wife have to show up in his office and get a marriage certficate.

This will now be your official marriage certificate valid for all purposes.

Of course you might not have the time to go to India and get it done. In that case, phone a friendly Marriage regiatrar an he will find a ( legal) way out

Shhameed
India

Marriage Certificate

Post by Shhameed » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks for your input. As you rightly said I am not in a position to go back to India to get the certificate. I do not have such influence to get it under cover!!.

Now is there any other possibility? to Apply

Only think that I can think of first apply for me along with my kids and latter apply for my wife. I hope in that case the Marriage certificate is not required.

Please all give in your thoughts .

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Did your wife apply for a visa as your dependant? What did you provide as evidence in that case?

The marriage certificate is required in joint application in order to enjoy from a reduced application fee. It's not a requirement for naturalisation.

The marriage certificate is required if she applies later for naturalisation as a spouse of a BC.

Shhameed
India

Post by Shhameed » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 am

Hi ,
I brought my family as T2 dependent and then i applied for Tier 1 on both occasion I did not produce Marriage Certificate. Then after for getting ILR I have not submitted the Marriage Certificate and I got it. Now ILR to my belief is an Independent visa and does not state as a dependent at any of the stamped visa!!( Please correct if I am wrong )

I spoke to my company's Visa processing department. They have advice me to keep an affidavit from a normal lawyer.

I am not sure if affidavit approach work.

I have my passport endorsed with my wife's name as spouse and similarly my wife's passport have the same endorsement stating me as spouse.

I have one kid born in India and one born in UK . Both kid's birth certificate are marked with both of our names. I have a communal certificate which says that I am married to so and so and we both live in the same address for all the time we have been in UK. !!

I am not sure if any further evidence would be required to say that my home lady is my wife.!!

Please advice if this approach would work!!. If any have faced bad experience please share.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 am

An affidavit might be enough. As I said, the requirement for a marriage certificate if applying together is just to enjoy fromthe reduced fee. I don't think the HO would be so strict on this.

Shhameed
India

Post by Shhameed » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks Guru. I shall keep all updated on Visa processing. Hope to help people who had similar experience.

R1011
Newly Registered

Post by R1011 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:34 pm

I have exact similar situation. My wife and have been married since 1998 and staying in UK since 09 on TIER 2 Spouse visa with me. We had a relegious marriage but didn't rejister it. While coming to UK, she entered my name in passport as husband. Now we are planning to file ILR .

To add in all my previous application, she is listed as married partner and UKBA have assigned her dependant visa without any issue..

We have two children with their birth certificates mention us as parents..

Which is this affadivit mentioned in this forum and where do you get in UK ..Can you please guide me..

Also should i declare proactively that i don;t have marriage certificate ..

vsb0913
Newly Registered

Re: Marriage Certificate not available

Post by vsb0913 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Guys could you please update about the outcome of your application and what did you do about the marriage certificate

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Marriage Certificate not available

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:11 pm

This thread is 4 year old and the members haven't visited the forum since 2013 :!: Please open your own topic with your question if you haven't already done so.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.