ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Grandfather born in NI

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Foulish
Newly Registered

Grandfather born in NI

Post by Foulish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm having difficulty getting consistent information on this. I promise I did a search (on here and elsewhere)!

My grandfather was born in 1912 in Northern Ireland, in County Antrim, and I have a birth certificate In front of me that says "registration of births and deaths in Northern Ireland".

Now, looking at different websites, the phrase "island of Ireland", comes up. Now to me, that suggests the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Am I missing a point here? Is it the entire island or just ROI?

I had a look on the website to register foreign births and when I put my grandfathers details it asked for county, and Antrim was there (not County Antrim, but I assume it's the same).

Is claiming citizenship through descent going to be possible in my current situation?

Forgive me if this has been asked before and apologies for any formatting issues (writing this on a phone)

KatieWills
Wales

Re: Grandfather born in NI

Post by KatieWills » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 pm

It refers to the whole of Ireland, North and South. Your grandfather's child, your mum or dad, would also be an Irish citizen and you should be able to register on the FBR if you can supply the documentation required.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

karend
Newly Registered

Post by karend » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:10 am

Hi,

Yes, I'm in the same situation - Grandmother born in Derry. And NI does count as Ireland for the register and citizenship.

K.

Foulish
Newly Registered

Post by Foulish » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Fantastic, thanks for your help.