ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to pass on British Citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

How to pass on British Citizenship?

Post by plabo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 am

Hi

I have a question and will be grateful if any senior member can help me.

We have ILR (based on 5 years Tier 2) and our 2 children (boy/girl) were born in the UK (before) we got ILR.

The children are awaiting MN1 registration and subsequent passports (already applied through JCAP).

If they go back to their home country (India) in a few years time, get married to an Indian citizen later, will they be able to transfer citizenship to their children?

Other question, suppose a child is born AFTER we have received ILR, I know he will be a British Citizen by birth. Will he be able to transfer UK citizenship to his children provided again he is married to someone in India (Non UK/Non EU)?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: How to pass on British Citizenship?

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:57 am

AFAIK, children born to a British Citizen abroad are British by descent, but cannot pass on BC in turn to their children. Your previous immigration status doesn't make any difference.
My son lives abroad, his children are British by descent, they can apply for a British passport direct, but cannot pass on BC.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 pm

As your children were born in the UK, they will become British citizens otherwise than by descent and they can/will pass on their citizenship to their children no matter where those children are born.

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Am trying to understand both the replies posted.

Will my children lets say when married and not living in UK be able to pass BC to their children?

Let me emphasize again they were born here before we got ILR and are going through MN1 registration.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:06 pm

plabo wrote:Am trying to understand both the replies posted.

Will my children lets say when married and not living in UK be able to pass BC to their children? YES, but their children (your grandchildren) will be Brirish by Descent and cannot pass on THEIR citizenship to their children (your great grandchildren) born abroad

Let me emphasize again they were born here before we got ILR and are going through MN1 registration.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks.

Also, doesn't matter if my children marry a Non UK citizen abroad (the nationality of the other parent) is not of any concern right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 pm

plabo wrote:Thanks.

Also, doesn't matter if my children marry a Non UK citizen abroad (the nationality of the other parent) is not of any concern right?
Makes no difference what nationality the other parent is.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:57 pm

And will section 3(1) apply on the current MN1 form in the above scenario?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:32 pm

plabo wrote:And will section 3(1) apply on the current MN1 form in the above scenario?
Children born abroad to British Citizens otherwise than by Descent (like your children will be), are British by Descent and can apply for a British passport directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)