ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

T4 & dependnats

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bammie
Newly Registered

T4 & dependnats

Post by Bammie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:53 am

Hi

I have been offered an unconditional place in a level 6 course for 12 months starting in September this year.

I am wanting to bring my husband and 9 year old son with me.

Neither my husband or I need to work in the UK whilst I am studying.

My husband may travel (outside the UK) for work for our Company registered in Australia though.

My issue is this: My course is Level 6 and the only information I can find on bringing dependants is for Level 7 courses. Mine is a Pre-Masters Course.

We are from Australia, own property here, have cash in bank accounts to support ourselves for the year plus we have 4 other children (all over 18 years) remaining in Australia so I would consider us low risk??

Will my husband of 15 years plus young son (who would need to go to school) be granted T4 dependent visas or not? We have no health issues. Are there exceptions to the Level 7 rule or not??

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bammie
Newly Registered

Re: T4 & dependnats

Post by Bammie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 am

I have no issues other than not being able to type dependants properly! lol

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:03 am

Bammie wrote:We are from Australia, own property here, have cash in bank accounts to support ourselves for the year plus we have 4 other children (all over 18 years) remaining in Australia so I would consider us low risk??
Being "low risk" just means a Tier 4 applicant does not need to include evidence of money or qualifications in their application. It's not about exceptions to the normal immigration rules. See Appendix H of the imnmigration Rules.
Bammie wrote:Will my husband of 15 years plus young son (who would need to go to school) be granted T4 dependent visas or not?
No. If your son gets a place at an independent fee-paying school with a Tier 4 (Child) license he can apply for a Tier 4 Child visitor visa in his own right, and your husband can apply as the parent of a Tier 4 Child. There is information about both those routes at gov.uk > Visas and immigration
Bammie wrote:Are there exceptions to the Level 7 rule or not??
No, but there is separate provision for students at any level who are government sponsored. See https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... Dependants
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Bammie
Newly Registered

Post by Bammie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for your reply.

What does "government sponsored" mean ???

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 am

Bammie wrote:What does "government sponsored" mean ???
They have a scholarship from the UK government or their home government.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Bammie
Newly Registered

Post by Bammie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:40 am

ok so nope that's not what I am.

But seriously.... (not trying to be a PITA) but for 10 years I have had a goal of living in England to immerse myself in my Royal history passion. We have structured our lives to enable us to be free from our business, other kids sorted to live independently and have more than enough money to not work, so meaning we would put money into the economy not take it out.

Why is it so difficult to do this? We are not from a high risk country, I have a great grandparent who was English but not a grandparent, so cant get an ancestry visa. We are too old for the youth working visa, don't want to set up a business and don't have half a million AUD$ to "invest" anyway, I'm not an elite athlete, so really don't fall under any of the other categories.

I finally get accepted into a course that gives me a visa to live there and now I can't bring my husband and young son, so effectively I won't come, therefore the UK economy doesn't get my AUS$25,000 course fee, plus the monthly rental we will pay, the travelling and costs associated with us visiting all over the country etc etc...

Why do they not want people to do this??? :(

Trying not to whine but getting frustrated with managing this whole process to a successful outcome!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Have you considered Europe?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Bammie wrote:Trying not to whine but getting frustrated with managing this whole process to a successful outcome!
The rules on who can bring dependants are not discretionary, so all you can do about it is let off steam. Once you have done that, why not write to the Vice-Chancellor of the university explaining why you will not be attending the course. They can't change things for you, but they can lobby the government about future changes to the UK law.

That said, you have some other possible options, including:

* As already advised, your son can go to an independent school and your husband comes as his parent.
* Your family members can come to the UK as visitors during the school holidays.
* You do a Masters-level course instead, in which case you can have dependants.
* Your husband looks for sponsored work in the UK, and you and your son come as his dependants

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Or if you have UK born grandparent, all come on Ancestry visas.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:57 pm

CR001 wrote:Or if you have UK born grandparent, all come on Ancestry visas.
OP already explained that "I have a great grandparent who was English but not a grandparent, so cant get an ancestry visa."

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:59 pm

sah10406 wrote:
CR001 wrote:Or if you have UK born grandparent, all come on Ancestry visas.
OP already explained that "I have a great grandparent who was English but not a grandparent, so cant get an ancestry visa."
Sorry missed that :oops: although I did actually as this in the OPs previous thread in February and didn't get a response there.

general-uk-immigration-forum/visitor-vi ... l#p1454773
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bammie
Newly Registered

Re: T4 & dependants

Post by Bammie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:37 am

Thanks

For lots of reasons none of them "fit" for us and the year we have planned.

Changed courses to get one with a visa to now find out it doesn't help, have to do the Pre Masters before being able to get into a Masters Course.

Trying to find an independent school for my son in Oxford will cost an additional AUD$40k a year on top of the course fees, so it's getting up there in terms of being expensive.

My husband does not want to work (he will be taking long service after working for 30 years without any) and him working would mean we can't do the type of travel we want to do during the year.

Yes the can come in the holidays, in fact they could come for 6 months but my son will only be 9 and I am not leaving him for 6 months over the next 12.

There is talk of "free movement" between Uk and Aust but that's not available yet so won't help me for this year. Seems kind of crazy that we are lumped in the same basket as every other country that immigration has constant problems with. The lack of "welcome" is pretty disappointing. :(

Europe is an option but not if I do this course which requires daily attendance for the 3 terms. So I must reside in Oxford.

Thanks for all your assistance.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:52 am

Bammie wrote:There is talk of "free movement" between Uk and Aust but that's not available yet so won't help me for this year. . Seems kind of crazy that we are lumped in the same basket as every other country that immigration has constant problems with. The lack of "welcome" is pretty disappointing. :(
The Australian side has suggested some relaxation of rules on businesses transferring staff post-Brexit, but this nothing to do with any other kind of immigration, and certainly not study. See http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 40036.html

I can only say again that you are not being "lumped in" with anyone. It is exactly the same for anyone of any nationality.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:12 am

sah10406 wrote:It is exactly the same for anyone of any nationality.
It's all part of the UKVI's commitment to attract the brightest and best international students.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Bammie
Newly Registered

Post by Bammie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:33 am

Well since I got offered a place I can assume I am part of the "best and brightest" international students group, but one who won't come cause I'm 50 years old with a family and not 20 something with no commitments.

:/

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:40 am

Maybe ask about any opportunity to do the Pre-Masters by distance learning, and then progress to the Masters full-time in the UK?

Sunnykuku1
Newly Registered

Post by Sunnykuku1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Level 7
Level 7 qualifications are:

integrated master’s degree, for example master of engineering (MEng)
level 7 award
level 7 certificate
level 7 diploma
level 7 NVQ
master’s degree, for example master of arts (MA), master of science (MSc)
postgraduate certificate
postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE)
postgraduate diploma

If ur degree falls under these categories then u can bring dependent and child too..... Rqf level 7

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-quali ... ion-levels