ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nooni
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by nooni » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm

TF101 wrote:The citizenship continues as far as the unbroken chain. See this page, and particularly the following quote:

"If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration. The Irish citizenship of successive generations may be maintained in this way by each generation ensuring their registration in the Foreign Births Register before the birth of the next generation."

I agree that the reference to great-grandparents is confusing. The simple way to put it (post-1986) is that you can become an Irish citizen if your parent was an Irish citizen when you were born.

If that parent was born in Ireland, you are automatically a citizen. If your parent was not born in Ireland, you need to register in the FBR, and will not be a citizen until you do so.

Edit: And if you aren't sure if your parent was an Irish citizen when you were born, go back and do the same analysis for them first!
Right, this was how I originally understood it, but I couldn't find the section you pointed to and I was suddenly questioning whether the great-grandparents bit was just for simplification after all!

Thanks for the confirmation. :D

docha
Newly Registered

Post by docha » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 pm

abundantbee wrote:My husband has received an email from the London embassy telling him that his FBR application has been sent to Dublin, and is at an 'Advanced Stage' of processing. FYI he sent his application on 4 October and it was received on 5 October. Hopefully he might get his certificate by the end of April.
That is good news for you! If I may ask, did your husband receive the email without sending any inquiry from his end?

Are we, applicants, able to send inquiries to the embassy to check on the status or our FBR applications? I ask because I am scheduled to move out of the country in about 3 weeks and I sent my application off on December 15 (received by them on Dec 16). Wonder what I should do.

TF101
Newly Registered

Post by TF101 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 pm

docha wrote:
abundantbee wrote:My husband has received an email from the London embassy telling him that his FBR application has been sent to Dublin, and is at an 'Advanced Stage' of processing. FYI he sent his application on 4 October and it was received on 5 October. Hopefully he might get his certificate by the end of April.
That is good news for you! If I may ask, did your husband receive the email without sending any inquiry from his end?

Are we, applicants, able to send inquiries to the embassy to check on the status or our FBR applications? I ask because I am scheduled to move out of the country in about 3 weeks and I sent my application off on December 15 (received by them on Dec 16). Wonder what I should do.
Yes, send an email to 'Citizenship Section' at foreign.london [at] dfa.ie (obviously for the London embassy only).

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 pm

docha wrote:

As TF101 said you may email them however, from past experience all they will tell you is they have received it and it is in the system but they cannot track it any further.

W

docha
Newly Registered

Post by docha » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:24 am

Wavey wrote:
docha wrote:

As TF101 said you may email them however, from past experience all they will tell you is they have received it and it is in the system but they cannot track it any further.

W
Thank you both for your replies. Should I be informing them of my situation (that I am moving abroad?). I do not want my application to get terminated as a result. It was not really my choice to move, work is forcing me essentially.

I have not seen a post anywhere online by anyone that had to move abroad while awaiting their FBR. I, of course, added the postage paid envelope into my application package but it would not likely get forwarded abroad by royal mail as it would be insufficient payment.

TF101
Newly Registered

Post by TF101 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 am

docha wrote:
Wavey wrote:
docha wrote:

W
Thank you both for your replies. Should I be informing them of my situation (that I am moving abroad?). I do not want my application to get terminated as a result. It was not really my choice to move, work is forcing me essentially.

I have not seen a post anywhere online by anyone that had to move abroad while awaiting their FBR. I, of course, added the postage paid envelope into my application package but it would not likely get forwarded abroad by royal mail as it would be insufficient payment.
In principle where you are moving has nothing to do with your entitlement to citizenship, which is based on where you were born, and who your parents are.

In practical terms, you absolutely should let the Embassy know up-to-date contact details! Otherwise the precious FBR certificate will end up in the bin with a pile of junk mail at your old address. They must be able to sort something out re posting internationally - they are an embassy after all 8)

damocov
Newly Registered

Post by damocov » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 am

Regarding when you move abroad, check with Royal Mail the terms of their mail redirect service.

I know that for standard first and second class mail, it doesn't matter what the postage to your original address was as you are paying a fee yourself for the redirection element from your old address to you new one (and they generally bundle it all up together in any case).

What you need to find out from Royal Mail, when you purchase that redirection service is whether it will also work on special delivery items. (hopefully it will as it's part of the royal mail brand not the parcel-force brand).

docha
Newly Registered

Post by docha » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:07 pm

damocov wrote:Regarding when you move abroad, check with Royal Mail the terms of their mail redirect service.

I know that for standard first and second class mail, it doesn't matter what the postage to your original address was as you are paying a fee yourself for the redirection element from your old address to you new one (and they generally bundle it all up together in any case).

What you need to find out from Royal Mail, when you purchase that redirection service is whether it will also work on special delivery items. (hopefully it will as it's part of the royal mail brand not the parcel-force brand).
Thank you very much for that advice. I will do that tomorrow. Much appreciated.

Edit: Ahead of going to the post office I found the below which sums it up I think:

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... r%E2%84%A2
Will you redirect mail sent to me by Special Delivery™, Recorded Signed For™ and Royal Mail Tracked®?

Yes, to UK addresses only. If your new address is outside of the UK, items sent using these services will be returned to the sender. The Special Delivery Guaranteed™ next day guarantee will not be valid for redirected mail as it first needs to travel to the Royal Mail Delivery Office which serves your old address. We will still obtain a signature, or confirmation scan, on delivery where relevant when delivering to your new address.
I will have to see if I can have someone locally receive it for me and then have them send it to me.

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Post by abundantbee » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 pm

My husband has finally received his FBR certificate. FYI he sent his application on 4 October and they received it on 5 October. The certificate is dated 31 March and the cover letter is dated 11 April. As I said, it was received today 28 April. Good luck to all of you still waiting.

virgilxavier
Newly Registered

Post by virgilxavier » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi All

I've just received my Irish Citizenship/Foreign Birth Registration papers. I sent them from the USA to Dublin. They were received on January 11th. I had no idea they would be processed so quickly. Now, it's onto the passport.

Best of Luck to you all
John

docha
Newly Registered

Post by docha » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 pm

virgilxavier wrote:Hi All

I've just received my Irish Citizenship/Foreign Birth Registration papers. I sent them from the USA to Dublin. They were received on January 11th. I had no idea they would be processed so quickly. Now, it's onto the passport.

Best of Luck to you all
John

Wow. How did you get your's so quickly. They received mine back on December 16th in London (perhaps due to Brexit?) and not a peep. I sent them an email a week ago and no reply sadly.

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Mon May 01, 2017 2:55 am

virgilxavier wrote:Hi All

Best of Luck to you all
John
Congrats on the FBR.
That gives me some hope as mine were mailed from the USA on Jan 4 and delivered Jan 7.

Nobbie
Newly Registered

Post by Nobbie » Tue May 02, 2017 8:32 am

I have finally received my FBR confirmation.

This took 7 months from submission (London Embassy) to receipt. Now to apply for the actual passport.

Any idea how long it will take to get the passport, I'm hoping with the recent FBR approval and therefore checks that this should be much more straightforward and therefore a lot quicker?

Thanks

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Tue May 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Nobbie wrote:I have finally received my FBR confirmation.

This took 7 months from submission (London Embassy) to receipt. Now to apply for the actual passport.

Any idea how long it will take to get the passport, I'm hoping with the recent FBR approval and therefore checks that this should be much more straightforward and therefore a lot quicker?

Thanks
Good Evening,

Over the Christmas period it took me 4 weeks with 'Passport Express' from the UK. I have heard it is taking a lot longer now due to the 'Brexit' process starting. The Embassy website will give you an estimate though.

Regards,

W

Nobbie
Newly Registered

Post by Nobbie » Thu May 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Wavey wrote:
Nobbie wrote:I have finally received my FBR confirmation.

Thanks
Good Evening,

Over the Christmas period it took me 4 weeks with 'Passport Express' from the UK. I have heard it is taking a lot longer now due to the 'Brexit' process starting. The Embassy website will give you an estimate though.

Regards,

W
Thanks - thanks the website is saying up to 11 weeks for 1st time passport, so let's see, it will be posted tomorrow.

Strider1779
Newly Registered

Post by Strider1779 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:52 am

Am just about to apply to the FBR... I see they require a Deed Poll for my mothers name change back to her maiden name.

How would I get a Deed Poll for a deceased person?

ggbomo
Newly Registered

Post by ggbomo » Fri May 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Morning Everyone. I sent my application to London embassy which was received on 6th October 2016. On 13th March 2017 I received an email from Dublin office saying they had the application and required a couple of more clarification points, my grandparents marriage certificate and further information from my witness, a police officer. They were satisfied with my responses and on 22nd March 2017 they requested payment of the application fee. I duly paid this and on the same day I received confirmation that my application had moved onto the next stage. On 5th May 2017, I've still heard nothing. Does anybody else have an experience similar to this that could perhaps give me some sort of hope? Specifically what 'the next stage is' and time frames? Thank you in advance

billyboylondon
Newly Registered

Post by billyboylondon » Sun May 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I live here in London, so I submitted my application for FBR online on 10th Feb 2017 along with online payment and then handed in my supporting documents on 13th Feb 2017 in person at the Irish Embassy in London. At the time the lady on reception (Kathleen) said they are now quoting up to 12 months for FBR applications to be processed due to backlog caused by Brexit. But from what I've read in recent posts on this forum, maybe I can hope for it to be processed by around 6-7 months? So at some time in August or September, fingers crossed... I haven't contacted them at all to follow up because the payment went through fine, so I guess it's just the waiting game as others have said, but maybe I will contact them at some point in the coming months, especially if I haven't heard by end of August. Any other UK applicants working to a similar timeline to me? Can't wait to have it approved so that I can retain my EU citizenship!

Billy ;-)

billyboylondon
Newly Registered

Post by billyboylondon » Sun May 07, 2017 3:06 pm

ggbomo wrote:Morning Everyone. I sent my application to London embassy which was received on 6th October 2016. On 13th March 2017 I received an email from Dublin office saying they had the application and required a couple of more clarification points, my grandparents marriage certificate and further information from my witness, a police officer. They were satisfied with my responses and on 22nd March 2017 they requested payment of the application fee. I duly paid this and on the same day I received confirmation that my application had moved onto the next stage. On 5th May 2017, I've still heard nothing. Does anybody else have an experience similar to this that could perhaps give me some sort of hope? Specifically what 'the next stage is' and time frames? Thank you in advance
Hi ggbomo - I'm guessing that your approval is imminent as it's now 7 months since you applied, and 7 months processing time I think tallies with the most recent comparable situation referred to on this forum - I'm keen to know how you get on too as it will reinforce my "7 month" benchmark estimate for processing times if you get it soon - good luck!

ggbomo
Newly Registered

Post by ggbomo » Sun May 07, 2017 5:47 pm

billyboylondon wrote:
ggbomo wrote:Morning Everyone. I sent my application to London embassy which was received on 6th October 2016. On 13th March 2017 I received an email from Dublin office saying they had the application and required a couple of more clarification points, my grandparents marriage certificate and further information from my witness, a police officer. They were satisfied with my responses and on 22nd March 2017 they requested payment of the application fee. I duly paid this and on the same day I received confirmation that my application had moved onto the next stage. On 5th May 2017, I've still heard nothing. Does anybody else have an experience similar to this that could perhaps give me some sort of hope? Specifically what 'the next stage is' and time frames? Thank you in advance
Hi ggbomo - I'm guessing that your approval is imminent as it's now 7 months since you applied, and 7 months processing time I think tallies with the most recent comparable situation referred to on this forum - I'm keen to know how you get on too as it will reinforce my "7 month" benchmark estimate for processing times if you get it soon - good luck!
Thanks billyboylondon! I will keep you posted. I'm fairly optimistic as when I applied you didn't have to make payment on application only at successful approval stage which is what they asked for in March! Fingers crossed

ggbomo
Newly Registered

Post by ggbomo » Sun May 07, 2017 5:48 pm

billyboylondon wrote:Hi Guys,

I live here in London, so I submitted my application for FBR online on 10th Feb 2017 along with online payment and then handed in my supporting documents on 13th Feb 2017 in person at the Irish Embassy in London. At the time the lady on reception (Kathleen) said they are now quoting up to 12 months for FBR applications to be processed due to backlog caused by Brexit. But from what I've read in recent posts on this forum, maybe I can hope for it to be processed by around 6-7 months? So at some time in August or September, fingers crossed... I haven't contacted them at all to follow up because the payment went through fine, so I guess it's just the waiting game as others have said, but maybe I will contact them at some point in the coming months, especially if I haven't heard by end of August. Any other UK applicants working to a similar timeline to me? Can't wait to have it approved so that I can retain my EU citizenship!

Billy ;-)
Hi billyboylondon!

Good luck with application and fingers crossed they'll get it done quickly for you

Michjmc
Newly Registered

Post by Michjmc » Mon May 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Hello
I posted my application for fbr to London embassy on 22 Dec 16, delivered 23 Dec .
I contacted them via email in January to confirm all had been received which they confirmed had and quoted 6 month processing time. In Feb I asked for a copy of a certificate I sent it which was kindly scanned across to me so at that point my documents were still with them.
At beginning of April I emailed and asked for an update, which was that my application had now been sent to Dublin for processing and they will be in touch further when it is completed.
Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Mossy17
Newly Registered

Post by Mossy17 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi,

What email address did you use in contacting the Embassy in London? I applied online, paid and personally handed all docs etc. to Embassy Reception last November - so far nothing. Tried contacting via the online form on Embassy website to find out progress, quoting application number and details - but nothing. So this morning used email mentioned on this thread (foreign.london [ at] dfa.ie) - and put a tracker on it - and waiting for it to show as being read. If anyone is getting a reply from any other email address for them? I haven't tried ringing yet - not sure if it helps or not! Thanks.

bigdogjono
Newly Registered

Post by bigdogjono » Thu May 11, 2017 5:59 pm

i am interested hear the general consensus with regards to the length of time between receiving the " your aplication is at an advanced stage" email from Dublin to receiving the fbr

happilychilled
Newly Registered

Post by happilychilled » Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 am

billyboylondon wrote:Hi Guys,

Billy ;-)
Hi Billyboylondon

I submitted my FBR application at a similar time to you. I was told they received my application, and had received my documents, on 27th Feb so I'm expecting it to be sorted like you in either Aug or Sept.
Fingers crossed but I'll keep you informed if I hear anything.