ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Citizenship to parent obtaining ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nickmpco

Child Citizenship to parent obtaining ILR

Post by nickmpco » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi All,

I am hoping to receive clarification about something that I have been given vastly contradictory evidence about. I have a daughter who was born in the UK and is a dependent on my Tier 2 visa. Knocking on wood (there are a few things I am worried about), I will receive indefinite leave to remain in a year. I was just told that my daughter would be eligible for UK citizenship as soon as I obtained ILR. Can anybody confirm if this is true?

Somebody over the UKVI helpline told me that she would only be eligible for ILR after 10 years living in the UK.

Thanks!

secret.simon

Re: Child Citizenship to parent obtaining ILR

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:01 pm

If she is born in the UK, your daughter is entitled (i.e. can not be refused) to register as a British citizen when either one of the parents gets ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:03 pm

nickmpco wrote:....my Tier 2 visa. Knocking on wood (there are a few things I am worried about), I will receive indefinite leave to remain in a year. ..
If there is anything in particular you are worried about, feel free to ask in another topic. Maybe we can help.

mspr335
United Kingdom

Post by mspr335 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:46 pm

nickmpco wrote:Hi All,

I am hoping to receive clarification about something that I have been given vastly contradictory evidence about. I have a daughter who was born in the UK and is a dependent on my Tier 2 visa. Knocking on wood (there are a few things I am worried about), I will receive indefinite leave to remain in a year. I was just told that my daughter would be eligible for UK citizenship as soon as I obtained ILR. Can anybody confirm if this is true?

Somebody over the UKVI helpline told me that she would only be eligible for ILR after 10 years living in the UK.

Thanks!
Please check the below link .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1.

Registration as a British citizen - a guide about the registration of children under 18: guide MN1 - Page 8 says as below :-

"Section 1(3) - A child born in the UK whose parents are not British citizens and were not settled in the UK will have an entitlement to register when one of their parents become settled in the UK or become British citizens."