ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Place of birth policy on passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

inzogbiya

Place of birth policy on passport

Post by inzogbiya » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello.
I just received by son's passport. He was born in Hamilton, Canada. I'm also aware that there is a town called Hamilton in Scotland. Shouldn't therefore his UK passport state both Hamilton and Canada to distinguish it from UK's Hamilton? That's what I understood from reading the bottom of page 3 in link below on place of birth policy for passports:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -birth.pdf

I called HMPO but they seemed to be clueless.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Place of birth policy on passport

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am

After reading your post I checked my wife's passport. She was born in Kingston in a country outside the UK and it's shown without the country. Has never been an issue. Mine shows a town in Germany, clearly not a UK place name but the country is also not immediately discernible by an average person. If you are concerned write to HMPO, rather than call. Suggest don't enclose the original passport unless they actually request it.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:29 am

inzogbiya wrote:I called HMPO but they seemed to be clueless.
In what way were they clueless? Were they clueless as to what is their policy is or that they cannot decide if they should, or should not, be following their policy?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

inzogbiya

Post by inzogbiya » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:30 am

They seemed clueless in the sense they weren't aware that passports show country of birth, just town/city according to them. The person I spoke to even put me on hold to check and told me not to worry about it.

I'm satisfied they have my son's country of birth somewhere on their system as hmpo specifically requested further evidence of his birth in Canada. Also after reading alterhase58 post, i guess I'll just leave it as it is.

orojim
United Kingdom

Post by orojim » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:57 am

I recently received my first British passport. It lists my birthplace (correctly) as Philadelphia, but makes no mention of Pennsylvania, Mississippi, the United States, or any other places where a Philadelphia might be. My U.S. passport lists my birthplace as Pennsylvania, U.S.A. Go figure. But I assume that both countries know everything they want to know.