ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying an American & Returning to N. Ireland

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ciaran1
Newly Registered

Marrying an American & Returning to N. Ireland

Post by ciaran1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:51 am

I am originally from N. Ireland but have been living in New York since the late 1990s. I have both British and American citizenship.

My American fiancée and I are planning to get married during 2008. We are then planning to move to N. Ireland where we both intend to work. We probably won't move until early 2010 but I want to get this sorted out now rather than waiting and getting a few surprises (i.e) my wife can't legally work there.

Can anyone please confirm if the best, hassle free, cheapest method for my fiancée and I to do things would be as follows. (I'm unsure about step 3)

1. Get legally married in city hall, New York city whenever we chose to in early 2008.

2. Have our big family wedding / day out in N. Ireland in late 2008 as originally planned (this will really amount to a big party with no legal strings attached hence there is no need for a marriage visit visa just to throw a big family and friends party)

3. This is the part I'm unsure about. When should we begin applying for my future wife's spouse visa if we intend moving back to N. Ireland in February 2010?????

4. My future wife obtains her spouse visa during (approximately) Jan 2010, book our flights to N. Ireland for Feb 2010 and return home as planned (Yes, yes, yes!)

5. When we arrive back in N. Ireland my at that point wife can take her spouse visa to the appropriate place to obtain a national insurance number.

6. My at that point wife can take her spouse visa to obtain a drivers license

7. After how many years of living in N. Ireland will my future wife have to wait before she can apply for her citizenship and passport?

8. We live happily ever after

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:51 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:14 am

vinny wrote:6. Driver licensing.
In fact as they plan to live in Northern Ireland:
http://www.dvani.gov.uk/