ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job seekers' for Brit citizen return to UK after 14yr in EU?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

johnniewalker
Newly Registered

Job seekers' for Brit citizen return to UK after 14yr in EU?

Post by johnniewalker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi
Wondering if anyone can help. I'm considering returning to UK to live and work after doing same in Italy for 14 years.
I'm a British citizen with full passport. I would intend to sell my prop and buy outright with cash in UK.
My concern is whether I could be entitled to job seekers' allowance should I not find work straightaway upon relocating in UK. I have paid contribs into public system in Italy but have virtually no savings.

Any direction/advice/speculation welcome.

(PS. Did search and result for similar enquiry came up 5 yrs old and government site link provided was out of date)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Job seekers' for Brit citizen return to UK after 14yr in

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:56 pm

You might have to meet the requirements of the 'habitual resident test' which I believe excludes you from claiming for 3 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Just like CR001 said,
New or recently returned to the UK
You may be able to get JSA if you can prove you’ve been living in the UK, the Isle of Man, the Republic of Ireland or the Channel Islands for at least 3 months before you claim, and you’re either:

- a UK national who’s recently returned from abroad and you haven’t worked since coming back
- an EEA national
https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

rooibos
Member of Standing
European Union

Post by rooibos » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 pm

And if your area has been fully switched to Universal Credit, you'll get no benefits at all, because the requirements are that you must not have been abroad for more than 4 consecutive weeks in the last 2 years.

bradly
Newly Registered

Post by bradly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 pm

rooibos wrote:And if your area has been fully switched to Universal Credit, you'll get no benefits at all, because the requirements are that you must not have been abroad for more than 4 consecutive weeks in the last 2 years.
could you plz give me a reference thanks