ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maiden and married name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Marica123
Newly Registered

Maiden and married name

Post by Marica123 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:46 am

Hi all,
I am waiting for my approval on naturalisation
I am Spanish and we cannot change our surnames on passport to married name.
I hold pr and spanish passport on maiden name and applied for citizenship on maiden name.
I have been using my married name in the uk p60s driving licence bills etc... all with married name.
Could i apply for a british passport on married name? I dont want to give up spanish citizenship. So i am thinking if is a problem not to attend the britishceremony and just keep my permanent residenci status!! please can anyone advice me? Thanks

vinny

Re: Maiden and married name

Post by vinny » Mon May 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Which surname did you use for naturalisation?

HMPO prefer the names on the British passport to be the same as on the foreign passport for a dual national.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Marica123
Newly Registered

Post by Marica123 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 pm

vinny wrote:Which surname did you use for naturalisation?

HMPO prefer the names on the British passport to be the same as on the foreign passport for a dual national.
Hi, i did use my maiden name, same as my passport. Thank

Marica123
Newly Registered

Post by Marica123 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:57 pm

My concern is that i use my husbands surname for almost everything in here...

Marica123
Newly Registered

Post by Marica123 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:57 pm

My concern is that i use my husbands surname for almost everything in here...

Marica123
Newly Registered

Post by Marica123 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:10 pm

I am terrible worried as to keep my spanish citizenship i will have to give a copy of spanih and british passport to the consulate, and if i can get a uk passport on my maiden name because i use my married name(driving licence, bank, p60s) then i will be stuck! Thats why i am thinking of if i get naturalization (uk) granted i will not go to ceremony so it gets cancelled and live the rest of my life as a permanent resident... as i dont think they will also take this from me if i dont naturalize...

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 01, 2017 2:21 pm

How would you be inconvenienced by having a British passport with your maiden name when you already have a Spanish passport with your maiden name? You could also continue to use your driviving licence with your married name as an id in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Marica123
Newly Registered

Post by Marica123 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Is because I read that you have to use the nane in the passport for all purposes and i use my married name.. so they might ask me to change all my records to maiden name.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 01, 2017 3:00 pm

If the name requested on your British passport is the same as on your naturalisation certificate and foreign passport, then I think they should be okay with it.

There is a choice of surnames that you may use. (Annex A: use of names in passports > 7 Married persons / civil partners choice of surname)

Marica123
Newly Registered

Post by Marica123 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:13 pm

vinny wrote:If the name requested on your British passport is the same as on your naturalisation certificate and foreign passport, then I think they should be okay with it.

There is a choice of surnames that you may use. (Annex A: use of names in passports > 7 Married persons / civil partners choice of surname)
Thanks Vinny! I think in the worse case i will have to change all paperwork back to maiden name wich is silly as i always provided my spanish passport and british marriage certificate when apply for job etc... Fungers crossed!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Marica123 wrote:Thanks Vinny! I think in the worse case i will have to change all paperwork back to maiden name wich is silly as i always provided my spanish passport and british marriage certificate when apply for job etc... Fungers crossed!!
You can still continue to do this. There is no requirement to change your name in your UK passport to a married name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.