ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 to ILR - refused due to gap in employment > 60 days

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

UK_01
Newly Registered

Tier 2 to ILR - refused due to gap in employment > 60 days

Post by UK_01 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,

I have an upcoming Administrative Review as the Home Office have rejected my ILR. I applied on the Tier 2 five year continuous residence basis. Below is a timeline of my continuous residence:

1. Employer 1 applied for my first Tier 2 on 22 Nov 2011. Application was granted on 5 Jan 2012 till 12 Dec 2014. Then applied for an extension on 9 October 2014. Application was granted on 17 Oct 2014 till 26 Dec 2017.

2. My employment with Employer 1 ended on 2 Sept 2016. (however visa was valid until Dec 2017).

3. Employer 2 provided me with an employment offer via email on 14 Sept 2016. I received and accepted/signed the formal offer documents by the first week of October 2016.

4. Employer 2 assigned a COS to me on 2 Nov 2016. They then applied for the Tier 2 Visa on 7 November 2016. My employment started on 28 Nov 2016.

The HO have refused the visa based on the fact that the gap between my employment and applying for a new visa is more than 60 days.(66 days)

I'd appreciate if I can get some advice from the members here if someone has experienced this situation before? And what can be a good line of action for administrative review?

I personally think I did everything I could during the 60 day period i.e. found an alternative employment and signed all the relevant documents etc. The delay was purely due to operational constraints of the new employer and no fault of mine. This will be the basis of my appeal.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by UK_01 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 to ILR - refused due change in employment

Post by zimba » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:16 pm

The decision was correct, you must apply for a new Tier 2 Visa within 60 days of your employment termination or else your continuous period of stay is broken. Right of appeal is not available to migrants any more.
You need to complete 5 years with your new sponsor before applying for ILR.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

UK_01
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 to ILR - refused due change in employment

Post by UK_01 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:21 pm

zimba88 wrote:The decision was correct, you must apply for a new Tier 2 Visa within 60 days of your employment termination or else your continuous period of stay is broken. Right of appeal is not available to migrants any more.
You need to complete 5 years with your new sponsor before applying for ILR.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Zimba88.

Does this also impact the 10 year long residency route too?

Should I even bother with going into an Administrative Review? As I have been provided the option to do so.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 to ILR - refused due to gap in employment > 60 da

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 pm

For info, see page 22 and 27 of the Caseworker Instructions where this is clearly pointed out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ds-v13.pdf

See also 245AAA(b) in the immigration rules.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... sed-system
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

UK_01
Newly Registered

Post by UK_01 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 pm

CR001 wrote:For info, see page 22 and 27 of the Caseworker Instructions where this is clearly pointed out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ds-v13.pdf

See also 245AAA(b) in the immigration rules.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... sed-system

Thanks CR001 - I have read these rules, but I am trying to argue that the delay was due to operational constraints of the employer and something which was beyond my control. Do you think I stand any chance in the AR? I think the rule is harsh in a way that I did everything I could i.e. find new employer, sign contract, kept chasing them to apply for my visa etc. but I am being penalized due to laziness on part of the employer.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:37 pm

It is up to you to apply for AR if you think you can provide some exceptional circumstances argument.
However this should not affect your 10 years continuous as far as I know. This is not considered a break in the long residence guide
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

iRulzz
Newly Registered

Post by iRulzz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:07 pm

I personally think that you should apply for a ad as it won't affect your ilr status anyway for long residence. They have given you a option as they know you have done everything you can in 60 days.

Question

Did any of your letter came to know about the gap?
Where did you apply ilr? London? Is it a premium 1 day service?

UK_01
Newly Registered

Post by UK_01 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:20 pm

iRulzz wrote:I personally think that you should apply for a ad as it won't affect your ilr status anyway for long residence. They have given you a option as they know you have done everything you can in 60 days.

Question

Did any of your letter came to know about the gap?
Where did you apply ilr? London? Is it a premium 1 day service?

I applied at the Liverpool PEO using the same day service. Yes, I am going for an AR.

longgapilr

Post by longgapilr » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:51 pm

what was the outcome of your AR?

UK_01
Newly Registered

Post by UK_01 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

longgapilr wrote:what was the outcome of your AR?
Not submitted yet, got till 14 April to submit one.

longgapilr

Post by longgapilr » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:27 pm

I am in a very similar situation. I also went to the Liverpool premium visa service centre. I was also refused ILR due to a gap of 77 days. I went on 1 Apr so I also have till 14 Apr to submit an AR. Good luck to both of us! Hope it works out! One of the Big 4 immigration advisors has advised me not to bother with AR. HE said it won't hurt but chances are low. I am still waiting to hear back from another lawyer and then I will decide whether to I will submit an AR or not. I will submit an AR most probably.

UK_01
Newly Registered

Post by UK_01 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 pm

longgapilr wrote:I am in a very similar situation. I also went to the Liverpool premium visa service centre. I was also refused ILR due to a gap of 77 days. I went on 1 Apr so I also have till 14 Apr to submit an AR. Good luck to both of us! Hope it works out! One of the Big 4 immigration advisors has advised me not to bother with AR. HE said it won't hurt but chances are low. I am still waiting to hear back from another lawyer and then I will decide whether to I will submit an AR or not. I will submit an AR most probably.

Hey,

I went to Liverpool as well and on the 1 April. Guess we both have been unlucky on the same day at the same place!

I have spoken to quite a few immigration advisers and have received similar responses. I am still going for the AR as no harm in doing it. I wish you good luck.

inserioustrouble
Newly Registered

Post by inserioustrouble » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Hello guys,

Just followed your post. Could you please update about your AD if you done?

Many Thanks

longgapilr

Post by longgapilr » Wed May 03, 2017 4:40 pm

submitted an admin review request on 14 Apr. waiting to hear back from the Home Office. supposed to hear back from them by 12 May.

inserioustrouble
Newly Registered

Post by inserioustrouble » Fri May 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi Guys

Any update on your AD ??? Hopefully you have got positive response.

Your response will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Usamarazi
Newly Registered

Post by Usamarazi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Can I ask a question related to this post?
Is it the continous period of visa that matters or employement period that matters? As I have no gap in my tier 2 visa but my employer will start my job by the gap of more than 60 days. Will it affect my continous period?