ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please Help: Applying for my first adult British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Condor82

Please Help: Applying for my first adult British passport

Post by Condor82 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi there,

I live in London and I have been naturalised few days ago, therefore now I have dual citizenship British/Italian.

I'd like to apply for a British passport and on the online form it's written that:

"Applying from the UK - you must send us the original non-British passport and provide the number below"

Does that apply to British citizen as well?

I'll be more happy to provide the number of the certificate of naturalisation than my Italian passport, I travel a lot and I need it.

Please let me know,

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Please Help: Applying for my first adult British passpor

Post by CR001 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:14 pm

You are required to submit your foreign passport. HMPO won't issue a passport if you don't send it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Can I go through NCS or alternative service to certify authenticity of my Italian passport?

When I applied for naturalisation I went through NCS but I had no idea I could request a passport as well.

I remember was quite expensive.

I heard that I do need to make sure I was present 5 years ago or something like that from the date I apply for the passport or from the date I send the original passport. Is that true?

I'm British now so I guess they checked all these things before...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:40 am

Condor82 wrote:Can I go through NCS or alternative service to certify authenticity of my Italian passport? There is no such service for passports.

When I applied for naturalisation I went through NCS but I had no idea I could request a passport as well. Yes, this would have been the ONLY way to do both applications.

I remember was quite expensive. No really, less than £100 to use NCS compared the actually fee for citizenship :idea:

I heard that I do need to make sure I was present 5 years ago or something like that from the date I apply for the passport or from the date I send the original passport. Is that true? This is a requirement for CITIZENSHIP and NOT for applying for a passport.

I'm British now so I guess they checked all these things before...
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:43 am

What if I send them my Italian ID instead of my Italian electronic passport? Would that work?

Many thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:30 am

Condor82 wrote:What if I send them my Italian ID instead of my Italian electronic passport? Would that work?

Many thanks.
I was in the same situation but I had a travel free period of a few weeks before Christmas. Perhaps wait for such a time? I applied online beginning of Dec 2016 and received passport within 7 working days (which included the interview).

The issue here is not one of proving your identity - that will be finally established at the first passport interview. HMPO want to ensure that people don't hold multiple travel documents in different names.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:38 am

That makes sense.

But can I send them the Italian ID instead of the Italian electronic passport?
(If I travel I prefer to use my passport although ID is valid as well)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:20 pm

You need to pose the question to HMPO - the only advice I have seen is as per the HMPO instruction, i.e. submit all uncancelled passports as mentioned above.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 pm

-What about the certificate of naturalisation?

Should it be the original or a copy?

- Is it compulsory the signature of a countersignatory?
I do not know anyone that can help

Many thanks.
Last edited by Condor82 on Tue May 09, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Condor82 wrote:-What about the certificate of naturalisation?

Should it be the original or a copy? Original

- Is it compulsory the signature of a countersignatory? Yes it is compulsory. Presumably having lived and worked in the UK for 5 years, you know someone.
I do not know anyone that can help

Many thanks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:34 pm

[quote="CR001"][quote="Condor82"]-What about the certificate of naturalisation?

Should it be the original or a copy? Original

- Is it compulsory the signature of a countersignatory? Yes it is compulsory. Presumably having lived and worked in the UK for 5 years, you know someone.

There is a friend of mine that is a Senior Consultant (User Research) would that work? I read that surveyor is in the list of approved professions not sure about the one mentioned above.

Many thanks