ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ADVICE ON 'CONTINOUS STAY' PLEASE!!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

professional28
Newly Registered

ADVICE ON 'CONTINOUS STAY' PLEASE!!!

Post by professional28 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:33 pm

Hello, (Apologies for long post!)

I need some advice please. I am a Chartered Quantity Surveyor, studied for my degree here in the UK and in 2002 when I graduated, I was given a 5-year work permit which expired at the beginning of July 07. Before it expired, I applied for a renewal of the work permit as my entry clearance / leave to remain stamp was short of a month (i.e. 4 years 11months) and so could not apply for indefinite leave to remain. When I applied for the work permit, my profession was not yet on the shortage list (although it was put on the list 2 weeks after they refused to renew my work permit!), and unfortunately I was refused an extension to the work permit - reason being they felt my job role had changed from being an assistant to a senior member of the company (through promotions over the 5 years, which one would expect to happen). Anyway, that was that!

As I had received the work permit refusal during the time my leave to remain had expired I was advised by my company's visa 'expert' to leave the UK and apply for an HSMP from my home country. I therefore left the UK end of July 07 and returned at the beginning of September after being granted an HSMP. Because I have more than 5 years combined on work permit and HSMP, I thought I could apply for ILR, but have been told I can't because I do not have continuous stay due to the fact that I left the country and got a different entry clearance, therefore I have to start my 5 years all over again! I still would like to think I have a shot at getting the ILR because I cannot bear to wait another 5 years. At the same time, I do not want to apply for ILR only to be refused and have my record tainted!!

I got married recently and my wife is on a student visa which expires this October, but we want to change so she becomes a dependent on my HSMP. Does she need to leave the country to change visa status or can we do it in-country? Any advice would be much appreciated.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: ADVICE ON 'CONTINOUS STAY' PLEASE!!!

Post by thirdwave » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:44 pm

professional28 wrote:Hello, (Apologies for long post!)

I need some advice please. I am a Chartered Quantity Surveyor, studied for my degree here in the UK and in 2002 when I graduated, I was given a 5-year work permit which expired at the beginning of July 07. Before it expired, I applied for a renewal of the work permit as my entry clearance / leave to remain stamp was short of a month (i.e. 4 years 11months) and so could not apply for indefinite leave to remain. When I applied for the work permit, my profession was not yet on the shortage list (although it was put on the list 2 weeks after they refused to renew my work permit!), and unfortunately I was refused an extension to the work permit - reason being they felt my job role had changed from being an assistant to a senior member of the company (through promotions over the 5 years, which one would expect to happen). Anyway, that was that!

As I had received the work permit refusal during the time my leave to remain had expired I was advised by my company's visa 'expert' to leave the UK and apply for an HSMP from my home country. I therefore left the UK end of July 07 and returned at the beginning of September after being granted an HSMP. Because I have more than 5 years combined on work permit and HSMP, I thought I could apply for ILR, but have been told I can't because I do not have continuous stay due to the fact that I left the country and got a different entry clearance, therefore I have to start my 5 years all over again! I still would like to think I have a shot at getting the ILR because I cannot bear to wait another 5 years. At the same time, I do not want to apply for ILR only to be refused and have my record tainted!!

I got married recently and my wife is on a student visa which expires this October, but we want to change so she becomes a dependent on my HSMP. Does she need to leave the country to change visa status or can we do it in-country? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Unfortunately it appears that you'd have to wait for another 5 years before ILR (or whatever it`ll be called at that point) as your LTR had expired between your WP and HSMP and you had to obtain a fresh EC from abroad to return. You could try applying by post with a letter explaining your circumstances but its highly likely that it would be refused and you'd lose your money. Certainly worth a try if you cannot think of any other way of spending 700 odd quid..

Not sure about your wife's change of status but I think they've stopped allowing in country switches for most categories..

professional28
Newly Registered

Post by professional28 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks thirdwave. much appreciated. very frustrating - almost as though the EC / LTR was purposely granted 1 month less than work permit to ensure there was no way of getting the ILR. There's no winning here! The future is so uncertain when you are a migrant in the UK, I'm even contemplating selling my house and just moving away from the UK! Canada - here I come!

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:59 pm

professional28 wrote:Thanks thirdwave. much appreciated. very frustrating - almost as though the EC / LTR was purposely granted 1 month less than work permit to ensure there was no way of getting the ILR. There's no winning here! The future is so uncertain when you are a migrant in the UK, I'm even contemplating selling my house and just moving away from the UK! Canada - here I come!
That certainly appears to be the case..Did you not question it when you were initially offered the job?

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:02 pm

I can only hope all works out fine for you.

I think You can be fairly sure that they dont change status from within the country.You have to exit and make a new application.

With regards to your house
Selling a house in UK these days is no easy job too.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

professional28
Newly Registered

Post by professional28 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:44 pm

thirdwave, i didn't question it at the time as i wasn't looking that far ahead. didn't think i'd be here for that long.

professional28
Newly Registered

Post by professional28 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:45 pm

runie80,
thanks - hope it does work out. it will be one less stress to worry about. i think i'll hang onto the house for another year.