ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Esa sdp pip question

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ollie2
Newly Registered

Esa sdp pip question

Post by Ollie2 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi all
Quick question im in reciept of PIP HB ESA SDP. My gf is visiting me from thailand for 6 months and we intend to marry and apply for a permant visa afterwards. Will my benefits be affected by her stay? I realise they will if she becomes a permanant resident Just wanted to clarify that interim 6 months when technically she is a non EU visitor
Many thanks in advance
Ollie

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Esa sdp pip question

Post by Casa » Mon May 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Are you aware that if you intend to marry in the UK your girlfriend will have to apply for a fiance visa from outside of the UK? She won't qualify for a 'permanent' visa until she has completed 5 years in the UK as your wife (2.5 + 2.5 years)

Once you have married and your wife has been granted a FLR(M) visa you can continue to claim your existing benefits but if she is working joint income will be used to calculate how much you are entitled to regarding HB.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm

She also cannot apply for a spouse visa within the UK while here as a visitor.

To marry you are required to give 28 days notice at an HO approved registry and she has to submit evidence that she can marry. This notice period can be extended to 70 days for HO to investigate and/or interview each of you separately before being given permission to marry.

6 months isn't a 'visit', it is 'residing'. Surely she had to show strong financial, employment and social ties to Thailand to get a visit visa?? How long did she say she was 'visiting' for.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

drdh4
Mood:
Sri Lanka

Post by drdh4 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi,

If your girl friend decided to stay with you for more than 4 weeks the you need to ring ESA customer center and let them know. SDP is for people who is living alone.