ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing Benefit /DSS Advice .... Urgent!

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chapelle
Newly Registered

Housing Benefit /DSS Advice .... Urgent!

Post by chapelle » Mon May 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Good Day All,

I have some concern about how the mother of my daughter should go about applying for a Housing Benefit which she is entitled to. She is British and we have had a look at the GOV.UK website and realise what she is entitled for. But what I don't know is if she can proceed to apply for the HB or DSS without first showing that she has been in a rented property for which she needs the benefit for. She currently lives with her parent....Any advice pleaseee!

Hint: About 2 months ago, she had applied for a Council House and it looks like that that route may take longer than anticipated and she is not working at the moment.

Thanks
Last edited by chapelle on Mon May 08, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Housing Benefit /DSS Advice .... Urgent!

Post by Casa » Mon May 08, 2017 5:14 pm

How would your wife qualify for HB if she lives with parents? :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

chapelle
Newly Registered

Post by chapelle » Mon May 08, 2017 5:17 pm

She is not my wife .... :|

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon May 08, 2017 5:20 pm

chapelle wrote:She is not my wife .... :|
OK...but the question is still the same. How do you think the mother of your daughter would qualify for HB if she is living with parents?

This isn't really an immigration issue as she is a British citizen. She should seek advice from her local Housing Authority or the CAB.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

chapelle
Newly Registered

Post by chapelle » Mon May 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks CASA,

I do appreciate your reply.. Apologies for bringing this m=topic as it appears not to be an immigration issue, but I am looking at it to support my immigration status.

Like I said, she is entitled to HB because we have updated all her current circumstances to checked her eligibility on the GOV.UK and it is just a matter of applying for it that is remaining.

She is currently on CB,IS and CTC as we speak and she is looking forward to start her degree program in Sept this yr. She has some few amount of money to rent a private accommodation for herself but would not be able to sustain it when she starts her academic program .. I will need this Housing to strengthen my immigration foundation in time to come( if that makes sense).

Please if you dont mind giving me a generic advice on this basis, I will deeply appreciate it.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm

She won't get housing benefit if she is not renting a property on her own. Living with her parents and 'potentially' renting won't cut it unfortunately

You should also be aware that there are certain benefits, housing included, that she does not qualify for if she becomes a full time student.

If she is not your partner, how does her housing situation make a difference to your immigration situation?

What is your current visa status?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chapelle
Newly Registered

Post by chapelle » Mon May 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi

Thanks for your reply..

Yes I am fairly aware of the benefit cut she might get as a result of her becoming a full time student...
We both have looked into the eligibility requirement for the HB and with all her details inputed into the website (age 21) currently and the result from assessment turned out to be that she can be entitled to some benefit (MONEY WISE) considering the fact that the website stated that a sudent may not be entitled depending on her their situation. Having seen this today our next step is to apply for the HB and see the outcome bearing in mind that she has to be in her own rented property before she can apply..
Please see link below on my immigration update. she really need us to live together and I am thinking of doing so while I await HO decision

immigration-for-family-members/flr-fp-a ... 29569.html

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:28 pm

You cannot live with her if you have applied for FLR(FP) parent route. You would need to apply partner 10 year route.

Are you still in a relationship but applied child route stating you are not??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chapelle
Newly Registered

Post by chapelle » Mon May 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks CR001,

Glad to meet you again. This may look ugly now!!

Yes I cannot apply for a partner route because;

1. I had been separated from my ex-wife (Non EU) about 9 months ago who is already depriving me of contact to 1 yr old daughter as well. Divorce proceeding and child contact is being in process ( HO is already aware of it)

2. I am not in good relationship with the British girl based on the ugly incidence of our DNA paternity test as said in the link. I see her as a potential treat to my remain in the UK if I continue refuse to give her moral support as she goes through looking after my daughter within this period.. I am scared I may be doing some wrong here...

Please what are my options???

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:49 pm

You will be putting your FLR(FP) parent route application in jeopardy if you move in with the child's mother. She has an obligation to inform the benefits office of this and her benefits will be calculated accordingly taking your savings or income into account. HO have full access to all this information and will likely result in a parent route application failing. She also will likely get less benefit if you live with her.

Stay on your own, wait for the outcome of your application and support the child financially regularly and visit regularly to continue proving your are involved in the childs life

Have you done anything to even try find another Tier 2 sponsor or have you just left that and done nothing? This would have been the easier route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

chapelle
Newly Registered

Post by chapelle » Mon May 08, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks CR001,

I do really appreciate your candid advises on Paragraphs 1 & 2.. You are the best :)

As for searching for Tier 2 Sponsorship, this is like an unending chase. I have been turned down severally by recruitment agents after discovering that I will need a sponsored visa for same job role that I was previously sponsored for. The major oil & Gas companies are not recruiting at the moment. I know I still have to keep trying until something happens eventually. One thing I will not do to myself is fold my hands and not apply for jobs until my current visa runs out. There are multiple proof to show that I have been contacted by recruitment agents who finally let me down afterwards because of visa sponsorship. Its a shame.......

One final question please. Am I eligible to apply for ILR in the next 3 years if I finally get a tier 2 visa from another sponsor before December this year? I am asking because of the gap in between the last job role and a potential job to come in this visa category

Thanks very much..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 pm

No, you will likely not qualify for ILR as the gap between your last employment and any Tier 2 G app will be more than 60 days.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

chapelle
Newly Registered

Post by chapelle » Mon May 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Just as I thought..... :(

Thanks once again. bye for now