ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The end of UK ancestry

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

The end of UK ancestry

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Points 129-130 (p. 23-4) of the green paper signal the first death toll for UK ancestry. Within the brave new world of economic-or-family migrants, good old Ancestry is an odd-man out.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

I have no idea what this means for those already in the country on the visa. Will they have to switch to some other category? Will there be some transitional arrangements. I don't know...but if you care about this, you should make your voice heard by responding to the consultation.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Looks like the biggest shakeup in the UK immigration history is taking shape...

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:45 pm

I might be wrong but I do not think they can take Ancestry visa away so easily. Because its a birth right through familial linkage to the UK. Also only a certain amount of people can apply through this route, so why do away with it altogether. The way in which I think the screws will be tightened will be in terms of citizenship. The probationary period etc etc.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:03 am

PaulM wrote:I might be wrong but I do not think they can take Ancestry visa away so easily. Because its a birth right through familial linkage to the UK. Also only a certain amount of people can apply through this route, so why do away with it altogether. The way in which I think the screws will be tightened will be in terms of citizenship. The probationary period etc etc.
If they do keep Ancestry they will probably slot it in as a Tier 1 category, ie leading to "probationary citizenship" after 5 years.

But they can remove it if they wish.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:05 am

There already is "probationary citizenship". It's called indefinite leave to remain.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:36 am

Dawie wrote:There already is "probationary citizenship". It's called indefinite leave to remain.
Not quite. There are going to be some differences between "probationary citizenship" as it will exist under the new proposals, and ILR as it exists now.

Two key differences will be a. access to benefits and b. no automatic British citizenship for U.K. born children.

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 pm

I just read this news article:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Worl ... 805852.cms

Could anyone comment on this please. Do you think it would affect those that are here already on the ancestral visa or just future applicants?

Regards

Paul

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

PaulM wrote: Could anyone comment on this please. Do you think it would affect those that are here already on the ancestral visa or just future applicants?
If you want to know what I think it is that if the AV is abolished, those who have AVs already will be allowed to keep them but they will need to transition towards the new "probationary citizenship" after 5 years, not ILR.

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:12 am

Thanks JaJ,

This whole Immigration shake-up is making me nervous. Personally if they give me probationary citizenship after 5 years, its better than nothing. (Although obviously I would prefer the ILR etc)

Regards

Paul

aboudi

Post by aboudi » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:45 am

So really after spending 5 years on HSMP/WP your again spending 1 more year on a temporary visa before you can apply for citizenship, its like you no longer have the peace of mind of ILR in the new system only when u become a citizen will you be home free (or spend three more years on probation to get permanent residence, which they refer to as indefinite leave to remain in the green paper.)

Under this new proposed system not many people will have ILR or permanent residence cuz they will either become citizens (within the same time frame as the current rules) or they will be in limbo on a temporary visa called a probationary citizen....

thats my take on it.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:52 am

Here's what I will suspect *might* happen. I'm not saying it will, but it's just a semi-educated guess.

I reckon that AV as a separate category as we know it will be eliminated. However, I wager that it may be integrated into the points-based system. For instance, if a Commonwealth applicant is trying to qualify for Tier 1 or 2, s/he might automatically get 25 points (or more?) for being able to prove that a grandparent was born in the UK and islands. This would have the following effects:

1) The UK ancestry link is still preserved in some form
2) It is incorporated within the new rules
3) The most "undesirable" (in the HO's eyes) AV applicants are weeded out, thus scoring the government "points"
4) The vast majority of AV applicants would be accepted, thus reducing furore
5) People currently in the country on AV are able to progress seamlessly in the new regime

Again, this is just a guess. Anyone else's ideas are as good as mine.
Last edited by RobinLondon on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:53 am

PaulM wrote:This whole Immigration shake-up is making me nervous. Personally if they give me probationary citizenship after 5 years, its better than nothing. (Although obviously I would prefer the ILR etc)

Regards

Paul
Paul, I sent you a private message. Just let me know if you got it.

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:15 pm

What about if you've completed 4 years on AV, got it extended for an additional 5 years last year (limited leave to remain), and are now facing an ILR application in September ? Could these changes be in effect by then or am I worrying for nothing ? I know it's all speculation at the moment but watching these goalposts constantly move ... :?

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi Kez,

I reckon this green paper is far off been a law just yet!
Whilst I feel for you and your concerns, my guess is that if anything happens it will, only be next year around April, by which time you will have your ILR and once you have that you are in safer water!

Relax don't panic!

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:03 pm

Cheers Siggi ! :roll: :D