ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residence: Expired Passport

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jnbh2
Newly Registered

Permanent Residence: Expired Passport

Post by jnbh2 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:12 am

Hello,

Regarding the application for a certificate of permanent residence, the Home Office write on their website that one needs to submit "your current and previous passports or national identity cards". I first entered the UK on my last passport but recently had it renewed. As part of the renewal process, my old passport was cancelled and sent for destruction, hence I would not be able to produce any previous passports.

I could not find much information on the Home Office website. In your experience, would this pose a problem? What would be the best way to proceed? I would be very appreciate if you could link any Home Office guidance that might have the answer to this query.

Many thanks

GMB
United States of America

Re: Permanent Residence: Expired Passport

Post by GMB » Thu May 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Well, it's not a perfect analogy by any means, but if you have a look at the April 2017 Guidance Notes on filling out the EEA(PR) application, under Section 4, Replace or renew your permanent residence document (p.7), it says that if you don't have your PR document because it was in an old passport your embassy kept, then you can provide a "letter from your country’s embassy confirming they have retained the passport containing your permanent residence document."

So by extension, I would imply that a letter from your country’s embassy confirming they have retained your passport itself would likewise suffice. After all, you can't provide something that no longer exists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... tes-v3.pdf