ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Submitting your Biometric Residence Permit with application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

acha114
Newly Registered

Submitting your Biometric Residence Permit with application

Post by acha114 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi, I am filling out the Form AN to apply for citizenship and have an appointment with the NCS in a couple of weeks.

Under Section 6.7, it seems that I need to supply my Biometric Residence Permit with my application if I go through NCS (where they take copies of your documents). I am planning to travel in mid-September, and was wondering if this is going to pose an issue for travelling and returning back to the UK after my holiday if the timescales for processing the application was going to go that far.

Could anyone advise whether it is mandatory to supply the BRP with the application or whether the NCS will merely take a photocopy of it? Thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Submitting your Biometric Residence Permit with applicat

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:38 pm

NCS will take a copy and certify same, of Passport, BRP and all other documents. You retain the originals and are able to travel, just make sure you are available for the biometrics a few weeks after your application.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

acha114
Newly Registered

Post by acha114 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks alterhase58. I'm a bit confused when you say
just make sure you are available for the biometrics a few weeks after your application
I first registered my biometrics when I extended my Tier-1 general visa (this is the first instance I received a BRP) as my first Tier-1 general visa was a stamp in my passport. I thought the same biometrics were used for my BRP when I obtained indefinite leave to remain, and the same biometrics would also be used for citizenship. Is my understanding correct, or do I need to register biometrics again?

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Thu May 11, 2017 5:21 pm

acha114 wrote:I first registered my biometrics when I extended my Tier-1 general visa (this is the first instance I received a BRP) as my first Tier-1 general visa was a stamp in my passport. I thought the same biometrics were used for my BRP when I obtained indefinite leave to remain, and the same biometrics would also be used for citizenship. Is my understanding correct, or do I need to register biometrics again?
You will need to register your biometrics again after you submit your naturalisation application. The UKVI will send you a letter telling you to do so (with a barcode so that your photo and fingerprints can be passed along to them from the post office where they're registered).

Did you not have to do this when you applied for indefinite leave to remain?

acha114
Newly Registered

Post by acha114 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Did you not have to do this when you applied for indefinite leave to remain?
When applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain, I did use the same day service in Croydon, and I do remember sitting with a staff member taking my fingerprints. So, I suppose that was the time my biometrics were taken for my application?

I got ILR over 3 years ago, so it's been a while. I do remember visiting a post office to get biometrics taken for my tier-1 general extension, which I assumed covered future applications where biometrics are concerned.

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Thu May 11, 2017 5:34 pm

acha114 wrote:When applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain, I did use the same day service in Croydon, and I do remember sitting with a staff member taking my fingerprints. So, I suppose that was the time my biometrics were taken for my application?
Yes it was. They take your biometric data every time you apply for a new visa/leave to remain. I assume they check the data against your previous application(s) to make sure that you're the same person who applied (and was approved) last time.

acha114
Newly Registered

Post by acha114 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:36 pm

They take your biometric data every time you apply for a new visa/leave to remain. I assume they check the data against your previous application(s) to make sure that you're the same person who applied (and was approved) last time
Yes, that makes more sense now. Thanks for clarifying. I have the AN form with my 2 referees filled out now so just have to wait for the appointment date and hope for the best.