ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in India to British father and Indian mother

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pranu

Child born in India to British father and Indian mother

Post by pranu » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi All,

I need some guidance regarding the process for bringing my baby to UK from India.

I have recently got my British Passport and I got my British citizenship by naturalisation. My wife has ILR.

My wife will be delivering our baby in India and after reading multiple posts on this forum I think we have the below 2 options. Can someone based on their recent experience please let me know the easiest way to bring my baby to UK and also help with the below questions to help me decide.

Option 1:

Since my baby will be born after I got my British citizenship by naturalisation, baby will be British citizen ‘by descent’ and can apply for British passport.

Then to enter UK, we need to apply for 'Exit Permit' in India.

Doubts/questions for Option 1:

1. Since baby's British passport application will be based on me being British, do I have to be physically present in India for the entire process? If not for the entire process then how many times do they expect me to be there in India? Like do I have to attend the telephonic interview myself or my wife can attend?

2. Do I have to submit my original British passport and naturalisation certificate alongwith the application? Since I have to return back to UK, what are the other options if they need the original documents?

3. The nearest VFS center for us is in Bangalore which is also 8 hours journey, so wanted to know how many times will my wife have to visit VFS center personally for the application.

4. Which form do we need to fill for getting my baby's British passport in India?

5. Does anyone know the exact procedure or share the link for such application which has been made recently ?

6. Regarding timelines, has there been any improvement recently or does it still take around 5 months for this?

7. What is the process and the timelines for getting the 'Exit Permit'?

8. What is the total cost for Option 1?

Option 2:

Since my wife is holding Indian passport with ILR, we can apply for baby's Indian passport. Then since my baby will be British citizen ‘by descent’, we can apply for 'certificate of entitlement'.

Questions for Option 2:

1. Is there a validity for certificate of entitlement? Does it need to be renewed and if yes how often?

2. Read some posts about refusal for granting certificate of entitlement despite being eligible, what documents/evidence needs to be provided to convince them in first attempt?

3. If we have to get British passport for my baby after the baby is in the UK, how can we do so?

4. Which form do we need to fill for getting my baby's certificate of entitlement in India?

5. Does anyone know the exact procedure or share the link for such application which has been made recently ?

6. Regarding timelines, has there been any improvement recently or does it still take around 4 months for this?

7. What is the total cost for Option 2?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Child born in India to British father and Indian mother

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 08, 2017 12:45 am

This thread may answer some of your questions.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

pranu

Post by pranu » Mon May 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't yet made my mind to go for 'CoE to RoA'. So if someone based on their recent experience answer my above questions, it will be helpful for me to decide which option to go for.

Thanks.

pranu

Post by pranu » Fri May 12, 2017 9:58 am

Hi All,

Can someone please help me with my questions and give some recommendations based on their recent experience?

Thanks.