ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dear home office, we are not cash cows.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Confused!
Newly Registered

Post by Confused! » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:32 pm

JAJ wrote: It's fairly safe to say that when they talk about "probationary citizenship" they do not mean citizenship.

Instead they mean a form of temporary residence, albeit one with pathway towards either citizenship or permanent residence.

It is poor terminology.
If that's what they mean, it is indeed rather poor choice of words. I hope they do not officially call it that if it comes into force, because sooner or later someone could be rendered stateless depending on his original country's attitude towards 'probationary' citizenship.

Confused!
Newly Registered

Post by Confused! » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:35 pm

heretic wrote:Australia has a much fairer system. It was always points based and never let it self be a target of illegal immigrants. It has respect for the economic migrant - which UK is learning now.

But as the PM (un-elect) needs some ratings he and his cronies are squeezing the easiest target - us. No one is talking about the numbers of illegal immigrants and failed asylum seekers here in the UK. Well at least the government wont as they don't have a clue.

I don't disagree to the government changing the rules...but changing it retrospectively every 2 years. It is really unbelievable........
I agree with you. Even though Australia do change their rules, they don't do it retrospectively, and they have got a relatively sensible immigration policy (although they do stupid things as well).

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:44 pm

heretic wrote:Australia has a much fairer system. It was always points based and never let it self be a target of illegal immigrants. It has respect for the economic migrant - which UK is learning now.

But as the PM (un-elect) needs some ratings he and his cronies are squeezing the easiest target - us. No one is talking about the numbers of illegal immigrants and failed asylum seekers here in the UK. Well at least the government wont as they don't have a clue.

I don't disagree to the government changing the rules...but changing it retrospectively every 2 years. It is really unbelievable........
yeah..i agree. Australia dont use retrospective law. They've also tightened up immigration law in recent years. I think it's going up from x year to y year, i forgot which. But it does not affect those that have lived in australia before the rule change. only those settling there after the change. That's fair.

since brown's came to power, there's been loads of changes dont you guys think. this is ridiculous.

aboudi

Post by aboudi » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:25 pm

global gypsy wrote:
soon cant be before this time next year.....
maybe, but that's soon enough to affect lots of people on this forum.

Besides, the deadline for receiving feedback on the Green paper is May this year, and the timeline for these changes to be implemented is around October this year.
assuming the goverment sticks to schedule on this one and presents the first draft of this bill to parliement in November 2008 as it has announced the act will need a good few months to become law. (its got to jump many hoops first....)
pls see below:

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/l01.pdf

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Confused! wrote:I hope they do not officially call it that if it comes into force, because sooner or later someone could be rendered stateless depending on his original country's attitude towards 'probationary' citizenship.
Yes, that is the danger with this term. Also they still need to define whether "probationary citizenship" is citizenship. So far it does not seem to offer any of the benefits usually associated with citizenship, so I guess not, but that should be clarified.

Tom

Emma84

Post by Emma84 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:46 pm

It has just occurred to me that 'probationary' citizenship is one of the worst term they could have picked to describe their new system.

The only other people in this country who are on 'probation' are criminals. Does the government then view migrants as criminals simply on the basis that they weren't born in Britain? Or something to that effect.