ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for the child benefit and child tax credit?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

premsai
Newly Registered

Can I apply for the child benefit and child tax credit?

Post by premsai » Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 am

Hi,

I, along with my wife and my elder child (9-year old), have all been granted the indefinite leave to remain (ILR) 6 weeks ago. My younger child (3-year old) was born in UK and I have applied for her citizenship through the MN1 route; the application is still in process. My question is that: am I eligible to apply for the child benefit and child tax credit for my 2 children? I have been a bit confused as a friend of mine has advised that I had to wait until the children become citizens to apply for the above benefits; if I apply now for the benefits, my application for the naturalization will be affected. Therefore, your advice on this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Can I apply for the child benefit and child tax credit?

Post by Casa » Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 am

Your friend is misguided.

As you and your wife are no longer subject to immigration control you are entitled to claim any benefits for which you qualify including CB, WTC & CTC.

Tax Credit must be claimed in joint names.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

premsai
Newly Registered

Post by premsai » Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks Casa for the prompt response; highly appreciated.

I have one more related question: I work and my annual salary is about 37,000. My wife does not work. Considering the above, do you think that I could apply for the child tax credit and get it?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:04 pm

You earn too much to qualify for tax credits.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

premsai
Newly Registered

Post by premsai » Tue May 16, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks CR001 for your reply. I wonder if there are written guidelines regarding the child tax credit from which one would know if he is qualified or not before applying, or one has to apply for it and wait for the outcome?

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 16, 2017 10:16 am

premsai wrote:Thanks CR001 for your reply. I wonder if there are written guidelines regarding the child tax credit from which one would know if he is qualified or not before applying, or one has to apply for it and wait for the outcome?

Thanks
Google is your friend :idea:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

premsai
Newly Registered

Post by premsai » Tue May 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks Casa for the link.

premsai
Newly Registered

Some queries on the Child Benefit Claim Form

Post by premsai » Tue May 16, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi,

I am filling the Child Benefit Claim Form. I have some questions and would be grateful if one could answer them:

1. The Point 20 in the form says:'If you have subject to immigration control in the last 3 months, tell us the date your immigration status was granted'. My question is that which date do they refer to? Is it the date at which I have been granted the ILR which was 31 March 2017? Also, do I need to send to send my biometeric card as a proof of the date in which I have been granted the ILR?

2. My older daughter was not born in UK and she has a passport from the country she was born in. I know that I need to send her passport along with the claim form. My question is that: do I need as well to send her birth certificate?

Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Some queries on the Child Benefit Claim Form

Post by CR001 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 pm

premsai wrote:Hi,

I am filling the Child Benefit Claim Form. I have some questions and would be grateful if one could answer them:

1. The Point 20 in the form says:'If you have subject to immigration control in the last 3 months, tell us the date your immigration status was granted'. My question is that which date do they refer to? Is it the date at which I have been granted the ILR which was 31 March 2017? Also, do I need to send to send my biometeric card as a proof of the date in which I have been granted the ILR?
ILR grant date.

2. My older daughter was not born in UK and she has a passport from the country she was born in. I know that I need to send her passport along with the claim form. My question is that: do I need as well to send her birth certificate?
Yes, you must send the birth certificate.
Many thanks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

premsai
Newly Registered

Post by premsai » Thu May 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Many thanks CR001.

I have sent the form and the documents today.