ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jonno22
Newly Registered

Life in the UK test

Post by jonno22 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 am

Hello.

My wife has recently received her extension of leave to remain in the UK.
The next time we apply is will be for the ILR.
This is still over two years away, but she would like to get her life in the UK test out of the way as soon as possible.
Obviously, we don't want to waste money be her doing the test before she is prepared for it properly, but is there any limit to how many times she can do this test between now and when she must apply for ILR?

Many thanks in advance.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Life in the UK test

Post by Casa » Tue May 16, 2017 11:20 am

jonno22 wrote:Hello.

My wife has recently received her extension of leave to remain in the UK.
The next time we apply is will be for the ILR.
This is still over two years away, but she would like to get her life in the UK test out of the way as soon as possible.
Obviously, we don't want to waste money be her doing the test before she is prepared for it properly, but is there any limit to how many times she can do this test between now and when she must apply for ILR?

Many thanks in advance.
None at all.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

jonno22
Newly Registered

Post by jonno22 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 am

Many thanks

tenuissent
Newly Registered

Post by tenuissent » Fri May 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Can I ask if there is any time limit on the Life in the UK Test? My daughter-in-law (from Thailand) is due to apply for ILR by the end of this year, and she did her test back in 2007.

Secondly, the letter with her Life in the UK certificate says: "Your success at this test also demonstrates that your level of competence in English meets the required standard for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain. No further proof of this is needed." I believe this has changed, and it no longer qualifies her to apply for ILR. Is this correct? Does she now have to prove competence in English by other means?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri May 26, 2017 5:40 pm

tenuissent wrote:Can I ask if there is any time limit on the Life in the UK Test? My daughter-in-law (from Thailand) is due to apply for ILR by the end of this year, and she did her test back in 2007.

Secondly, the letter with her Life in the UK certificate says: "Your success at this test also demonstrates that your level of competence in English meets the required standard for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain. No further proof of this is needed." I believe this has changed, and it no longer qualifies her to apply for ILR. Is this correct? Does she now have to prove competence in English by other means?
The Life in the UK test doesn't expire, but in addition your DIL will need either B1 level English from a Home Office approved test provider or a degree taught in English with a NARIC ELA.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/overview
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tenuissent
Newly Registered

Post by tenuissent » Sat May 27, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks. But does anyone know if this statement alongside her 2007 Life in UK pass still stands, or has it been cancelled?

"Your success at this test also demonstrates that your level of competence in English meets the required standard for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain. No further proof of this is needed."

She does have a UK degree taught in English to fall back on, but the above would be simpler, if still true.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 27, 2017 10:46 am

The Life in the UK test is still valid but she also needs B1 level English from an approved test provider unless she has a NARIC ELA for her degree. I'm assuming your wife wasn't awarded the degree in the UK?

The cost for the NARIC ELA and the B1 level English test are the same.
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:52 am

Casa wrote:The Life in the UK test is still valid but she also needs B1 level English from an approved test provider unless she has a NARIC ELA for her degree. I'm assuming your wife wasn't awarded the degree in the UK?

OP states it is a UK degree, NARIC not required or B1. :wink:

P.S. Cup of tea?? :D
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am

CR001 wrote:
Casa wrote:The Life in the UK test is still valid but she also needs B1 level English from an approved test provider unless she has a NARIC ELA for her degree. I'm assuming your wife wasn't awarded the degree in the UK?

OP states it is a UK degree, NARIC not required or B1. :wink:

P.S. Cup of tea?? :D
First day of Ramadan. Going shopping... :oops:
(Casa, not CR001)