ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student visa rejection *Does it effects Good character*

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

azharmahmood
Mood:
United Kingdom

Student visa rejection *Does it effects Good character*

Post by azharmahmood » Sat May 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Hello everyone

I would like to know that my student visa application was refused due to photographs and then i fought the case for about 2.5 years and then got DLR on the basis of family life in the UK. The application and appeals were refused several times before they have granted me DLR. Does it effect good character requirement / 10 years requirement. Did i overstay my student visa ??

Regards

Azhar

ija8051

Re: Student visa rejection *Does it effects Good character*

Post by ija8051 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes good character always matters in each single nationality case (criminal and immigration breach etc)In your case question is who did you maintain yourself and family during that break in this country without permission to work and public funds because you did not win in appeal, UKBA gave you DL on you family life.it seems there was breach during that period between student extension to DL. Good character is not define in nationality law they can access you by asking questions during that period according to law then can approve you or refuse you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Can you list the timeline of everything, the general paragraph you have written doesn't give the important information.

Date you entered the UK the first time?

Date student visa expired?

Date of visa refusal?

Date of last appeal refused?

What application did you make after all appeals exhausted and on what date and how soon after appeals exhausted?

Date of DLR granted?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 27, 2017 3:49 pm

The student visa rejection does not affect good character per se.

However, if you overstayed a visa, that would.

Remember that the subsequent grant of a visa does not legalise any overstay prior to that grant.

Give us a history of your stay in the UK with relevant dates (when your student expired, all relevant appeals, issuance of DLR, etc) for us to assist you further.

EDIT: Beaten by CR001.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

azharmahmood
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azharmahmood » Sat May 27, 2017 4:27 pm

CR001 wrote:Can you list the timeline of everything, the general paragraph you have written doesn't give the important information.

Date you entered the UK the first time?

sept 2006 student visa

Date student visa expired?

march 2009 but applied for extension before that and got rejection on pics

Date of visa refusal?

april 2009 and asked me to submit fresh application which i did but refused as the laws changed in april 2009 and the form i used was the old one with new photos attached. HO refused the case and asked me to leave the country in 14 days , i appealed and the case was on going for about 2 years

dont remember the last date of appeal refused as i did change my lawyer and he applied on the basis of life in the UK

What application did you make after all appeals exhausted and on what date and how soon after appeals exhausted?

i am not sure which form my solicitor used but it was within the time range of appeal. I did not get any letters stating no right to appeal.

Date of DLR granted?
sept 2011 till 2014 3 years and then extension of 3 years

azharmahmood
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azharmahmood » Sat May 27, 2017 4:30 pm

secret.simon wrote:The student visa rejection does not affect good character per se.

However, if you overstayed a visa, that would.

Remember that the subsequent grant of a visa does not legalise any overstay prior to that grant.

Give us a history of your stay in the UK with relevant dates (when your student expired, all relevant appeals, issuance of DLR, etc) for us to assist you further.

EDIT: Beaten by CR001.
i did not overstay any visa , i did apply within time limit of 28 days, i applied to all appeals within 14 days time range...thats all i know for sure... but if the visa is refused then the period of 28 days where HO asked you to leave the country called overstay ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:17 pm

You need to list the dates and details I asked for if you expect anyone to offer advice. We cannot guess your immigration history and dates.

If all appeals were exhausted, you had no valid leave to remain from the date your student visa expired. Being granted DLR leave to remain DOES NOT suddenly made ALL your time legal stay.

British citizenship does not follow the same rules as ILR or other immigration application. British citizenship is different laws.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 27, 2017 6:46 pm

It would help us help you better if you have more precise details, such as specific dates and specific actions.
azharmahmood wrote:Date student visa expired?
march 2009 but applied for extension before that and got rejection on pics

Date of visa refusal?
april 2009 and asked me to submit fresh application which i did but refused as the laws changed in april 2009 and the form i used was the old one with new photos attached. HO refused the case and asked me to leave the country in 14 days
From your description, it seems that the applications you made in March 2009 and April 2009 were invalid and not rejected. There is an important legal difference. Rejected applications would have extended your Section 3C leave, invalid applications do not.

Do you still have the letters regarding those two applications from the Home Office? Read them very carefully and recreate them here, taking out all personal details.

If the applications were returned as invalid, then you were an overstayer from the time your student visa expired in March 2009 till the time you were issued a DLR.

If the applications were rejected, then there is a possibility that your leave may have been extended.
azharmahmood wrote:i appealed and the case was on going for about 2 years

dont remember the last date of appeal refused as i did change my lawyer and he applied on the basis of life in the UK
Can you provide further details of your appeal, with specific dates and did you appeal further to the Tribunals or to the courts?

As CR001 has already mentioned, nationality operates under different rules made under different laws and even if you have been issued DLR and ILR under the Immigration Rules, there is no guarentee that a naturalisation application will succeed.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

azharmahmood
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azharmahmood » Sun May 28, 2017 12:46 am

I am trying to find old letters and came across one correspondence letter which is as follows. will try to provide more information later if I can find more letters

The Appellant lodged his application for further leave to remain on 27th March 2009. His existing leave was due to expire on 31St March 2009. if the Appellant can be criticised, then it is only because he did not apply to extend his leave somewhat earlier. On 14th April 2009, the Respondent returned his application as invalid, because the photographs which he had submitted were not in the format specified as mandatory by the UK Border Agency. However, by 14th April 2009, Tier 4 of the Points Based System had been launched on 31s’t March; the date on which the Appellant’s leave expired. The Appellant duly completed the Tier 4 (General) Study Migrant application form, but his application was refused on 14th July 2009 on the basis that he had claimed 30 points for a valid visa letter, but the letter which he had submitted did not meet the requirements as it failed to give details of the documents which had been used by the institution in order to assess the Appellant’s academic suitability for the course. In addition, it was claimed that the Appellant had failed to provide documentary evidence of his qualifications in support of the application. Those documents were provided to me, and it is, perhaps, not surprising that the visa letter did not comply with the Tier 4 requirements, because it was dated 19th March 2009; before Tier 4 was effective, and had been prepared for an application for further leave to remain.

The first issue for me to determine was whether there was a valid in country right of appeal. The Respondent had claimed, in the refusal letter, that there was not, because the Appellant had lodged his Tier 4 application on 12th May 2009, whilst his leave had expired on 31st March 2009. Mr XYZ referred me to the decision of the Court of Appeal in JH (Zimbabwe) v SSHD (2009) EWCA Civ 78. The facts of that case were similar to those before me.

The Court held that where an application had been lodged, in time, a later “application” had to be treated as a “variation” of the first, even if it were made for a different purpose. Unless the original application was specifically withdrawn, his previous leave would be extended. On the basis of the

decision in JH, and as the Appellant’s original application had not been withdrawn, I concluded that there was a valid appeal before me.

Nevertheless, the requirements of the Points Based System are strict. If an applicant shows that he or she is entitled to the points claimed, then their application will be granted. If not, leave will be refused. The Guidance states that the visa letter for adult students should include a list of the evidence used by the approved education provider to assess the applicant’s academic ability to finish his course. i had sight of two letters from the University of XYZ. The letter dated 9th March 2009 confirmed the Appellant’s name, the title and level of his programme, and details of his attendance. As l have said, his attendance for the period covered by the letter was good. The letter dated 19th March 2009 confirmed that the Appellant was enrolled on his course, and provided details of the sponsor licence number, student reference number, his passport number, date of birth, the start and end date of his programme, his tuition fees, and confirmation that they had been paid in full. Neither letter provided details of the evidence used by the University to assess his academic ability to finish his course.

On that basis, although it gives me no pleasure whatsoever, I have to agree with the Respondent that the visa letter does not fulfil the requirements, and so the Appellant does not qualify for the 30 points claimed under Appendix A. With the greatest of

regret, I must dismiss his appeal under Paragraph 24SZX(c) of the Immigration Rules.

Had the Appellant raised human rights grounds in his notice of appeal, i could have considered whether the Respondent’s decision amounted to a breach of the Appellant’s right to a private life. However, no such grounds were raised, and I cannot consider matters which have not been raised in the grounds of appeal. I do say, however, that it was clear to me that the Appellant was following his course and that he had paid his tuition fees in full.

DECISION

This appeal is dismissed.

ija8051

Post by ija8051 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm

As for i understand that you applied later in article 8 for family life here and UKBA granted you DLR(discretionary based)so your old application leave to remain and appeal rejected.from there you was in breach (mean over stayer)and good character will effect your nationality application, again it is test for you and nationality team how they treat you and how you satisfy them regarding this (could be refused or approved)I give 50% to this case. i am not an expert but you need good solicitor for your case, can only wish for good luck to you Azher

azharmahmood
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azharmahmood » Sun May 28, 2017 9:12 pm

thanks everyone who read all this and replied....basically they rejected my application on photos and it all messed up afterwords , i was a genuine student and my fee was fully paid when this happened. Anyways i will apply for BC and i hope they dont ban me for 10 years.

will wait for the reply of gurus Mr simon and CR001

Thanks everyone

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Let's look at the timeline

29th March 2009 - Application submitted
31st March 2009 - Visa expired
14th April 2009 - Notification that application was invalid
12th May 2009 - Second application (Tier 4) submitted

On the face of it, a Home Office case worker would conclude that as your initial application was invalid, it did not extend your leave under Section 3C. Therefore between 31st March 2009 and the grant of DLR, you were an overstayer and you would only be eligible for citizenship from the tenth anniversary of when you became legal again (the grant of the DLR).

However, the judgment posted by you suggests that the judge treated your second application as a variation of the first, therefore suggesting that the first application was in fact valid. You could highlight this point in a cover letter with your citizenship application. But I would suggest that there is a good chance (about 60%) that your naturalisation application will be rejected.

I would wait for advice from other moderators, such as vinny, Obie and JAJ, as well. I understand that there have been judgments from the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court that may have an impact on the interpretation of Section 3C in a case like this.

azharmahmood
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azharmahmood » Mon May 29, 2017 12:13 am

Thanks a lot Mr. Simon.....If for eg I apply for citizenship and they reject it , is there any chance of getting a ban of 10 years like they do in some cases. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:30 am

If refused, you lose your fee and the 10 years will start from the date you were granted DLR, this has already been stated.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

azharmahmood
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azharmahmood » Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 am

thank you CR001....