ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice for a novice

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

deaconblues1
Newly Registered

Advice for a novice

Post by deaconblues1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Hey all,

I have an HSMP approval now... Got it on 4th of Feb. Stumbled upon this forum after that. I should say, it's a wonderfully useful forum.

Now, I need to head to UK. But I am not sure about market conditions there - in terms of jobs.

I am an MBA and have an year's experience in all (which I feel is less) with an MNC Bank. I am not too keen on moving into Banking again but when push comes to shove, I will do that. I went through the posts and found most of the discussion is centered around IT.

I am looking forward for some advice on what I can expect in UK. I have a good CV and am - more than anything else - looking forward to some adventure and experience as I like to travel and blah blah. So, I wouldn't mind an opportunity even if it's not ideal.

Is there anybody out there (!) or your friend/ friend's friend who landed in UK with a similar profile as mine? Experience may be bad or really bad, but please do post it. I will at least know what to expect!

A reply would be appreciated, highly.

Cheers, dB

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:22 pm

According to my information

Job situation has improved considerably.

I arrived in NOV and all companies were very tight on their budgets plus they had to balance the books so they were not taking much staff.

But these days situations are good.I see no reason for a reasonable person actively seeking employment not to find a job in months

It also depends upon job sector and location where you are seeking employment. Banks and some financial institutions are not taking as much staff as they used to but the outlook is still ok.

2 months to find a decent job is normal.

Thats my opinion
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

deaconblues1
Newly Registered

Post by deaconblues1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:38 am

runie80 wrote:According to my information

Job situation has improved considerably.

I arrived in NOV and all companies were very tight on their budgets plus they had to balance the books so they were not taking much staff.

But these days situations are good.I see no reason for a reasonable person actively seeking employment not to find a job in months

It also depends upon job sector and location where you are seeking employment. Banks and some financial institutions are not taking as much staff as they used to but the outlook is still ok.

2 months to find a decent job is normal.

Thats my opinion
Hey Runie,

Thanks a lot for that info.. It's a real booster. I am curious on how did you go about your job search. Is there any particular consultant you contacted?

I appreciate the response.. Thanks a lot.
cheers, dB

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:39 am

deaconblues1 wrote:
Hey Runie,

Thanks a lot for that info.. It's a real booster. I am curious on how did you go about your job search. Is there any particular consultant you contacted?

I appreciate the response.. Thanks a lot.
cheers, dB
When I arrived in UK I was not looking for "any" job.

I had set out few key points which were very important for me

I needed study support
I needed a expanding role.
I needed a job which matches my career.
I needed a job which facilitates progression.
I needed a job which offer holidays for study.

The above was my priority list.I applied for jobs which matched the above criteria.3 months I applied and got 2 interviews.

First interview was with recruitment company<the said the role has been modified and is more IT based>
Second interview was with another company <lasted only 5 min> :lol:
she just used the "gut instinct" and decided that she is not going to give me the job :twisted:

Then one day I got the call.They saw my CV on totaljobs
After 2 panel interviews lasting in total of over 5 hours

I was offered the position.

The bottom line is Make sure u know what u want.
What you want from your job and do not act like "take me please"
:lol:

For interviews I prepared loads
Spent hours on the following site
http://www.videojug.com/tag/job-interviews

In the end "practice makes perfect"

I received about more than 20 offers for "IT" positions which was the same as my last job.some were offering fantastic salary but I declined them all as I was not interested in "IT".

Also if you want a shortcut :lol: :lol:
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-seduce-your-boss-2
<I will in no way take responsibility of any consequences of the "seduction" link > :lol: :lol: :lol: so be careful
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

mistry
Newly Registered

Post by mistry » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:09 pm

in my experience its hard to apply and follow up until you are in the Uk as when people want interviews especially recruitment agents then you ahve to be able to attend very quickly.

For IT jobs there are many good websites to use and upload you CV - jobserve, itjobboard, technojobs all have lots of jobs - depends what area of IT.

Hope this helps :D

coronat
Newly Registered

Post by coronat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:27 pm

Some of the sites I used on arrival, 3 job offers within 6 weeks;
(december 2007)

www.monster.co.uk

www.totaljobs.co.uk

www.cwjobs.co.uk

www.theitjobboard.com

www.cwjobs.co.uk

www.allthetopbananas.com