ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC spousal application but marriage is ending

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Phoebe
Newly Registered

BC spousal application but marriage is ending

Post by Phoebe » Sun May 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi,

Please help me decide. My husband is from the EU and we have been married for 11 months only.

He has a permanent residence card and has now applied for a British citizenship because he's married to me ( a British citizen). He cant apply on his own because he has no evidence of being in the country for 5yrs.

The problem here is that he is no longer interested in the marriage and has made my life hell but he has gone ahead to apply for his citizenship with a copy of my passport. He has now stopped speaking to me and there is no hope of staying married once his passport arrives. I am 40 yrs old and he has wasted 4 yrs of my life pretending he wants a family and now he said no kids so now I'm back to square one, alone and no hope of having kids.

He only applied last week so I am thinking of ringing the home office to tell them that the marriage has broken down and that he's only using me for the passport.

Being an immigrant myself, I know how much i suffered for 11yrs before getting my passport with no help from anyone and I don't want to be used by a man who doesn't care about me.

My questions are;

What should i do? Should I ring the HO and explain the situation to them?
When applying as a spouse of a British citizen, do you need to go for an interview together before the citizenship is granted?

Many thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: BC spousal application but marriage is ending

Post by Casa » Sun May 28, 2017 4:58 pm

He will continue to qualify as a spouse of a BC until a divorce decree absolute has been issued regardless of whether you are living together or have separated. You would gain nothing by reporting his future intentions to the HO and in any event, these would be difficult if not impossible to prove.

There is no interview for the spouse and applicant. Don't confuse applying for British citizenship with a passport application which is a separate process.

On another issue, if he is unable to prove 5 years residence in the UK, how did he qualify for PR? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Phoebe
Newly Registered

Re: BC spousal application but marriage is ending

Post by Phoebe » Sun May 28, 2017 9:02 pm

I dont know how he qualified but he used a lawyer then but not for this application. He has actually been in the country for 6 yrs but there was a period in which he wasnt working and cant prove he was in the country as he wasnt working.

I will not be able to start the divorce proceeding yet as I cant afford it yet.