ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Effects on Student Visa if been excluded from the university

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tier2man
Newly Registered

Effects on Student Visa if been excluded from the university

Post by tier2man » Mon May 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me what what happens if, one gets excluded by their university.

Basically, I am currently in UK on a tier 4 student visa. I am doing a masters degree. My degree finishes end of September and my visa expires end of January 2018. My stay in UK will be 10 years in October - so all was good and well planned - I was preparing to apply for ILR as soon as I was eligible.

But the university has found some sort of evidence of plagiarism in one of my coursework - and now carrying out further investigation. While I consciously didn't plagiarise, there was time when I was doing the coursework with my classmates and this may have led to similarity. I was told if the decision is reached that I did plagiarise then I will be excluded from the university. My question is, what would happen to my student visa if I am excluded? Will the home office cancel my visa and give me some notice to leave UK? How long is that notice likely to be? Is there anyway to extend my stay until October so I can make the application for ILR?

It seems that the university will have to make their decision by mid July (including appeal) - so that will mean I will be about 3 months away from ILR eligibility.

Any advice/ suggestion on being able to stay in UK till October so I can apply for ILR?

Many thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Effects on Student Visa if been excluded from the univer

Post by sah10406 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:23 pm

tier2man wrote:My question is, what would happen to my student visa if I am excluded? Will the home office cancel my visa and give me some notice to leave UK? How long is that notice likely to be?
Yes, 60 days.
tier2man wrote:Is there anyway to extend my stay until October so I can make the application for ILR?
Not under Tier 4. I advise you post in the ILR forum.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

keysersoze22

Post by keysersoze22 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Echoing Sah's points again, but I'd also strongly advise that you speak to your University. Quite confident that University's don't just exclude at the first offence so you may be able to argue for leniency..

tier2man
Newly Registered

Post by tier2man » Wed May 31, 2017 4:58 am

Thank you both for replying. Yes, I will definitely do my best not to get excluded - but I am preparing for the worst - as my long term future is at stake :(

Just to clarify a bit further on the 60 days curtailment period. I have seen this in other posts and gov documents about the curtailment period being usually 60 days. But,

When I applied for my student visa, I had to go back to my country to apply and then come back. It is a masters degree, so my total stay (this time) as a student is less than a year - so far about 8 months (October,2016 - May, 2017). I was just wondering, do curtailment period varies based on the length of my current stay? Or is it that I will get 60 days curtailment period regardless of how long was my current leave?

I am worried because my current stay is such short time, that if there is a chance that they will give me a curtailment of 30 days? Is it ever heard of?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:02 am

tier2man wrote:Or is it that I will get 60 days curtailment period regardless of how long was my current leave?
Yes, unless you already have less than 60 days leave remaining. See the Modernised Guidance on Curtailment, page 68:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ent-action
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.