ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Submitting ILR(LR) Application During curtailment period?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tier2man
Newly Registered

Submitting ILR(LR) Application During curtailment period?

Post by tier2man » Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 am

Hi everyone, I have let myself in a bit of a tricky situation and desperately looking for some answers to help me prepare for what's coming.

I am planning to apply for my 10 year ILR in October this year. I am currently on a tier 4 student visa doing a masters degree, which expires on January, 2018. Everything was fine and I was preparing myself to submit my ILR application in October. But, the university have found some sort of evidence of plagiarism in one of my coursework - and now carrying out further investigation. I was told that this could lead to exclusion from the university.

So now, if I am excluded from the university in June, my student visa will consequently be curtailed for 60 days. My ten year period will complete on 1st week of October - which may or may not fall during curtailment period depending on when the university reaches a decision. So I have thought of few different routes and possibilities - please anyone help me with your advice on these -

1. So, the first thing that could happen is, if the university reaches a decision to actually exclude me (i hope not), and I appeal and the final exclusion happens after 1 st week of August, then, I will reach 10 year completion during my curtailment period. My question first is, am I allowed to apply for ILR while I am on curtailment period?

2. Second thing that could happen, is that even the curtailment period runs out before my 10 year period was complete. In this case,

a) Could I submit my application 28 days prior to the 10 year completion and while I am on curtailment? Can I apply for premium service 28 days prior to 10 year date?

b) Could I overstay for (less than) 28 days after curtailment period ends and still be able to submit the ILR application? I see from other posts the 28 days overstay is disregarded by HO, but is it still the case if the overstay is after curtailment period?

3. If the curtailment period ends way before the 10 year completion date, then, if I apply for a different category of visa, such as, the entrepreneur visa, and after the due course, I get rejected (say, due to lack of funds), then this time spent on the application will bring me closer to the 10 year date, will I then be able to apply for ILR straightaway? (I know this might be a sketchy route, but I am in a desperate situation, where I could lose it all after being here for 9 years and 10 months)

Judging from my situation, any advice anyone can give on how I can extend my stay until the first week of October would be really appreciated.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Submitting ILR(LR) Application During curtailment period

Post by zimba » Wed May 31, 2017 11:31 am

1. So, the first thing that could happen is, if the university reaches a decision to actually exclude me (i hope not), and I appeal and the final exclusion happens after 1 st week of August, then, I will reach 10 year completion during my curtailment period. My question first is, am I allowed to apply for ILR while I am on curtailment period?
Yes, 10 year lawful stay.
a) Could I submit my application 28 days prior to the 10 year completion and while I am on curtailment? Can I apply for premium service 28 days prior to 10 year date?
Yes, you can apply 28 days from being eligible in a PSC for long residence ILR.
b) Could I overstay for (less than) 28 days after curtailment period ends and still be able to submit the ILR application? I see from other posts the 28 days overstay is disregarded by HO, but is it still the case if the overstay is after curtailment period?
Yes. Overstaying periods of up to 28 days or less will be disregarded.
3. If the curtailment period ends way before the 10 year completion date, then, if I apply for a different category of visa, such as, the entrepreneur visa, and after the due course, I get rejected (say, due to lack of funds), then this time spent on the application will bring me closer to the 10 year date, will I then be able to apply for ILR straightaway? (I know this might be a sketchy route, but I am in a desperate situation, where I could lose it all after being here for 9 years and 10 months)
Yes, if you apply before your visa expiry you will be covered by section 3C which counts towards the 10 year lawful stay.

The other issue is that ILR has a good character requirement. I am not sure if accusations of plagiarism would be viewed or considered as a sign of bad character under ILR. Just a thought though.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

tier2man
Newly Registered

Post by tier2man » Wed May 31, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply. So, technically speaking, my 10 ILR completion date is 6th October - this means I can apply for ILR using premium service on 8th of September. If my visa is curtailed and the curtailment period ends on 10th of August, I can still overstay until 8th September, submit my application and possibly get ILR?

I obviously don't want things to be this tight but just want to find out if all of the situations overap with each other, it will still be acceptable or not.

Yes, I did think about this plagiarism thing being an issue for good character - now if it does happen this way, there is not much I can do but to just hope for the best. :(

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed May 31, 2017 1:06 pm

I suggest not to risk being an overstayer and to apply for Tier 1E or FLR before your visa expiry (might seem vexatious :? ) Then vary that application to ILR. It is much better to protect your section 3C and lawful stay.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice