ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Requirement for CSI after PR?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

eLnof
Newly Registered

Requirement for CSI after PR?

Post by eLnof » Mon May 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi all,

I have been trying to find an answer to this question to no avail, so I hope someone here can help. (I did try to search here but could not find it...at least not on the first few pages of search results)

My family and I received our PR earlier in January, through exercising treaty rights as self-sufficient with CSI.
Now that we got our PR, is there still a requirement by the HO to have CSI?

My understanding is that once one is granted PR, they are no longer subject to immigration control, but, of course, I could be wrong.

This £600 per annum could be used for something useful, instead of this!

Thanks in advance.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Requirement for CSI after PR?

Post by Casa » Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 pm

You're on the right track. Once you have PR and you are no longer under Immigration control, you don't require CSI.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

eLnof
Newly Registered

Post by eLnof » Tue May 30, 2017 11:33 am

Casa wrote:You're on the right track. Once you have PR and you are no longer under Immigration control, you don't require CSI.
Thank you very much for your response.

Just to confirm, I called HO (0300-123-2253) and asked them.
The person who answered told me I still need CSI because I'm still exercising treaty rights. I repeated my question highlighting I hold PR and should not be under immigration control, but he just said the same thing. That I need CSI to continue exercising treaty rights.
I asked if there's any source/document to which he can refer me for this and he said there wasn't.

This is quite confusing (not that it's new to HO).

Not sure who to ask next!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Advice given by the UKVI 'helpline' can't be relied on. I believe that this service is outsourced to an agency whose staff appear to have a very limited knowledge of the UK Immigration Rules or EEA Regulations, even on the most basic issues. Neither will they take responsibility for any flawed advice.

Once you have PR there is no need to continue exercising your Treaty rights and therefore no requirement for CSI.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

eLnof
Newly Registered

Post by eLnof » Wed May 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Casa wrote:Advice given by the UKVI 'helpline' can't be relied on. I believe that this service is outsourced to an agency whose staff appear to have a very limited knowledge of the UK Immigration Rules or EEA Regulations, even on the most basic issues. Neither will they take responsibility for any flawed advice.

Once you have PR there is no need to continue exercising your Treaty rights and therefore no requirement for CSI.
Thanks again... I totally agree, but if these guys think like that, I am quite concerned.

I have been trying to get help from "citizens advice bureau" but my attempts failed miserably, so I am searching for legal advice.

Any recommendations as to where to look?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 31, 2017 6:28 pm

What exactly are you looking for? Confirmation that you don't need to exercise your Treaty rights after PR, or that CSI is not required once you no longer have to exercise your Treaty rights :?:
(Casa, not CR001)

Carling40
Australia

Post by Carling40 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:42 pm

Reading your post, if you have received "confirmation of pr" in January you definitely won't need CSI anymore.
However if what you mean by receiving pr in January is based on "acquiring pr" and haven't actually had confirmation of pr from the home office it would be advisable to keep hold of CSI until you've applied and received confirmation of PR.

eLnof
Newly Registered

Post by eLnof » Wed May 31, 2017 9:01 pm

Carling40 wrote:Reading your post, if you have received "confirmation of pr" in January you definitely won't need CSI anymore.
However if what you mean by receiving pr in January is based on "acquiring pr" and haven't actually had confirmation of pr from the home office it would be advisable to keep hold of CSI until you've applied and received confirmation of PR.
We qualified last June and applied then.

We received the physical biometric card/ DCPRs in January.

eLnof
Newly Registered

Post by eLnof » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Casa wrote:What exactly are you looking for? Confirmation that you don't need to exercise your Treaty rights after PR, or that CSI is not required once you no longer have to exercise your Treaty rights :?:
#1. Confirmation that we don't need to exercise treaty rights , and therefore hold CSI, after we get PR.

I appreciate what I'm asking about may sound redundant and clear, but knowing HO, and their tendency to interpret EU laws however they want, so I'm trying to make sure my understanding is correct.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 31, 2017 10:18 pm

Your understanding (as I confirmed earlier) is correct.

Note in the link below:
"After five years of continuously exercising your treaty rights in the UK as an EEA national, you are entitled to 'permanent right of residence' in the UK and no longer have to be exercising treaty rights."

http://righttoremain.org.uk/toolkit/eu.html
(Casa, not CR001)

eLnof
Newly Registered

Post by eLnof » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:24 am

Casa wrote:Your understanding (as I confirmed earlier) is correct.

Note in the link below:
"After five years of continuously exercising your treaty rights in the UK as an EEA national, you are entitled to 'permanent right of residence' in the UK and no longer have to be exercising treaty rights."

http://righttoremain.org.uk/toolkit/eu.html
Thanks a lot :D

And I called HO again today and whoever answered confirmed it...not that I take their word seriously anyway.

That's £600 off my back..

Thanks a lot for your help ...