ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Thu May 25, 2017 3:10 pm

BrexitHater wrote:Hi! :)

Since then.... zilch.
I'm in a similar situation, but from the US. Applied online and the card was charged right away. Sent documents straight to Dublin (they received on Jan. 7, 2017) and have not heard anything since.

In the online process it said that if they are unable to complete the process they would refund the fee, so every day that goes by that the fee hasn't been refunded to my card is a good sign (I think). I had debated on sending a follow-up query, but have decided to wait until the 6 months is up before I do. When I submitted, the time frame on the website stated that they should complete the registration within 6 months. I fully expect to be waiting for another month and a half before hearing news. Another poster here submitted his from the US a week or two before me and has received his back, though, so I just keep hoping.

Matt2017
Newly Registered

Post by Matt2017 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 pm

BrexitHater wrote:Hi! :)

I'm one of these lurkers who's been reading for a while so I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

I finally got everything together to apply for FBR on 10th December 2016 and as they'd changed the online system by then, my credit card was charged straight away (no checking bankers drafts for me). Everything was sent to the London Embassy via Special Delivery and signed for by KATHERINE on 16th December 2016.

Since then.... zilch.

Obviously I'm expecting it to be "up to 6 months" and quite possibly longer with all the Brexit shenanigans, but it's rather disconcerting to have heard nothing whatsoever, not even a confirmation that it's been received and is processing, other than the Proof of Delivery from Royal Mail.

I enquired via the online form on the DFA/Embassy website 2 weeks ago, heard nothing back so a week ago I called up and on hearing the "foreign.london@dfa.ie" email address I sent a message there. Still nothing, so I've just called up again and this time left a message.

Has anyone else who sent everything else off around December time had any positive confirmation at all yet? Once I've confirmed my application is successful I've got applications for my 3 children (eligible via their mother / my wife) to send off, so I'm keen to get that ball rolling ASAP!

Grateful for any words of encouragement, "be patient!", etc. etc. :lol:
I can't speak for December applications but I sent mine early November and received it back middle of May.

I received no notifications/emails during that period and similar to yourself just had the proof of postage. I'd say from my experience and what others have put on here that this is completely normal, they only seem to get in touch with you if they have a query on your application.

If your children are claiming citizenship through your wife is it not possible to send your children's applications off now?

Good luck!

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 am

UPDATE

I got home from work today and had a large envelope waiting for me. I'm Irish (officially)!

http://imgur.com/a/fJCwZ (the letter)

Applied online from Atlanta, GA, USA. All documents sent straight to Dublin. Timeline:

Applied online: Jan 1, 2017 (paid online at the same time)
Documents arrived in Dublin: Jan 7, 2017
Entered in Foreign Births Register: Apr 13, 2017
Letter printed: Apr 26, 2017
Certificate received: May 25, 2017.

Keep your chins up everyone!

Mick

Edit: Corrected one of the dates

BrexitHater
Newly Registered

Post by BrexitHater » Fri May 26, 2017 8:58 am

MickByNameAndNature wrote:UPDATE

I got home from work today and had a large envelope waiting for me. I'm Irish (officially)!

http://imgur.com/a/fJCwZ (the letter)

Applied online from Atlanta, GA, USA. All documents sent straight to Dublin. Timeline:

Applied online: Jan 1, 2017 (paid online at the same time)
Documents arrived in Dublin: Jan 7, 2017
Entered in Foreign Births Register: Apr 13, 2017
Letter printed: Apr 26, 2017
Certificate received: May 25, 2017.

Keep your chins up everyone!

Mick

Edit: Corrected one of the dates

Woooo, congratulations!

And you applied a couple of weeks after me, albeit via slightly different route, so hopefully mine's not too far off :)

BrexitHater
Newly Registered

Post by BrexitHater » Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 am

Matt2017 wrote:
If your children are claiming citizenship through your wife is it not possible to send your children's applications off now?

Good luck!

I'm waiting until I know they've definitely accepted mine. My grandmother's Christian name on her birth certificate is in abbreviated form for some strange reason, and in full on marriage and death certificates. I sent a cover note explaining so hopefully no issue. If they were to refuse though, it would render it less useful to register children as our whole family wouldn't be eligible.

Fingers crossed!

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Fri May 26, 2017 6:15 pm

BrexitHater wrote:My grandmother's Christian name on her birth certificate is in abbreviated form for some strange reason, and in full on marriage and death certificates. I sent a cover note explaining so hopefully no issue. If they were to refuse though, it would render it less useful to register children as our whole family wouldn't be eligible.

Fingers crossed!
You should be fine with that. My grandfather who I claimed through was listed as Bernard on his birth certificate but as Brian on his marriage and death certificate although he never changed it by deed poll or any other way. He just always went by Brian so that's what they put on the certificates. The DFAT didn't even question it. The first I heard after submitting the application was receiving the certificate back.

Given the timelines, I think yours should come through fairly soon.

Celticatheart
Newly Registered

Post by Celticatheart » Sun May 28, 2017 11:39 am

Just a update to my initial May 18 post.

I resent my email on 24 may as hadn't had a reply and wondered if it hadn't processed.

Received a prompt email reply on 26 May with some great news.

Like others above, my application was sent to Dublin for processing due to the volume of applications London was dealing with.

Im very happy to say that the email told me I had been entered on the FBR and London were just waiting for the return of my FBR certificate so they could return all my docs together.

Very happy. So 7 months and 2 days from Embassy's receipt of my application to my receiving email confirmation of its success​. Hopefully the paperwork will all come back to me in next couple of weeks.

malibujohn
Newly Registered

Post by malibujohn » Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm

malibujohn wrote:Update: I submitted my passport application to the SF Consulate on April 6, 2017. It was scanned in at the DFA in Dublin on May 18, 2017. They give a 4 week estimate for completion.
The SF Consulate replied to inquiry on how long it takes from start to finish as follows: "All work on the passport is completed here in San Francisco. The only bit completed in Dublin is the printing of the actual passport which for them is currently at about 4-5 weeks. Pre-processing here can take 2-3 weeks and post processing 4-8 depending on if an applicant is applying for the first time or renewing."
Let you know when passport on its way.

Passport "dispatched" May 29, 2017.

nooni
Newly Registered

Post by nooni » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:29 pm

Hey, just checking back in with my data points!

I applied and paid online for FBR 1 Jan 2017, but wound up having to wait for one final document to mail. I posted everything from the US to Dublin on 26 Jan 2017. I don't know when exactly it was received, but I was entered in the register 23 May 2017 and my letter was printed the next day, 24 May. The certificate received in the US 30 May.

Now I'm waiting for the passport application from the local embassy. :mrgreen:

BrexitHater
Newly Registered

Post by BrexitHater » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:37 pm

nooni wrote:Hey, just checking back in with my data points!

I applied and paid online for FBR 1 Jan 2017, but wound up having to wait for one final document to mail. I posted everything from the US to Dublin on 26 Jan 2017. I don't know when exactly it was received, but I was entered in the register 23 May 2017 and my letter was printed the next day, 24 May. The certificate received in the US 30 May.

Now I'm waiting for the passport application from the local embassy. :mrgreen:
That's awesome news, good stuff! :)

I sent mine to London, received before Christmas. No replies to any emails or phone calls but I'm hoping it's any day now...

happilychilled
Newly Registered

Post by happilychilled » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:16 am

It would appear that applications made from the US directly into Dublin are taking 4 - 5 months whilst applications into the London Embassy are taking 7 months after being re routed to Dublin

I submitted mine on 27th Feb into London so I'm expecting a September response but, you never know.....

damocov
Newly Registered

Post by damocov » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:14 pm

So mine finally arrived this morning almost exactly 7 months elapsed, some data points:

Sent 1st November special delivery to London embassy,
Received at embassy and signed for on 2nd November,
Certificate date 12th May,
Letter signed 19th May (in Dublin),
postmarked 1st June (London).
Received 2nd June (Coventry).

No contact at all during the elapsed 7 months.
One thing I didn't do that everyone else seemed to was include a pre-paid speical delivery envelope, but it came back anyway. (It was only after I'd submitted, that I read the additional notes on the downloadable PDF from the embassy that I saw that requirement).
I also noticed last month, whilst discussing the application, that I had mis-spelt my great grandmother's name as I'd read the scrawl on my grandmother's birth certificate incorrectly, but that didn't seem to cause any problems.

Any how, I'm off to get some passport photos taken, good luck everyone still waiting for certificates, hold tight it'll arrive eventually!

BrexitHater
Newly Registered

Post by BrexitHater » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:57 pm

damocov wrote:So mine finally arrived this morning almost exactly 7 months elapsed, some data points:

One thing I didn't do that everyone else seemed to was include a pre-paid speical delivery envelope, but it came back anyway. (It was only after I'd submitted, that I read the additional notes on the downloadable PDF from the embassy that I saw that requirement).
I also noticed last month, whilst discussing the application, that I had mis-spelt my great grandmother's name as I'd read the scrawl on my grandmother's birth certificate incorrectly, but that didn't seem to cause any problems.

Any how, I'm off to get some passport photos taken, good luck everyone still waiting for certificates, hold tight it'll arrive eventually!
Yeah I didn't realise you were meant to do that until I saw people on here mentioning it.... glad that didn't matter for you!

I got this reply to my email (which I sent 19th May) today, so good news :)
Good Afternoon,

Due to the large amount of applications we have received, we have had to send applications to Dublin to be processed. Your application was amongst the applications that were sent.

Your application has been submitted to the next stage of the application approval process and will be processed in due course.

If you have any further queries, my colleagues in Dublin can be contacted on the e mail address below:

ppoclonfbr@dfa.ie

Regards

Citizenship Section
A. Mc Cabe
Embassy of Ireland
17 Grosvenor Place
London SW1X 7HR

thurston
Newly Registered

Post by thurston » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:39 pm

I have just come across this helpful site as I have my documents ready to complete the online FBR. Can anyone tell me how long the online part takes? I understand that you have to complete it in one hit.

BrexitHater
Newly Registered

Post by BrexitHater » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:59 pm

thurston wrote:I have just come across this helpful site as I have my documents ready to complete the online FBR. Can anyone tell me how long the online part takes? I understand that you have to complete it in one hit.
You do, but it's very quick to complete.

As you'll have all the info anyway with your certificates etc, it only takes a few minutes really :)

thurston
Newly Registered

Post by thurston » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:31 pm

That's good to hear. Thank you. Will do so tomorrow and join all the others from the UK feeling scared by Brexit no doubt... :?

Moggy
Newly Registered

Post by Moggy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:20 am

BrexitHater wrote:
damocov wrote:So mine finally arrived this morning almost exactly 7 months elapsed, some data points:

Yeah I didn't realise you were meant to do that until I saw people on here mentioning it.... glad that didn't matter for you!

I got this reply to my email (which I sent 19th May) today, so good news :)
Good Afternoon,

Due to the large amount of applications we have received, we have had to send applications to Dublin to be processed. Your application was amongst the applications that were sent.

Your application has been submitted to the next stage of the application approval process and will be processed in due course.

If you have any further queries, my colleagues in Dublin can be contacted on the e mail address below:

ppoclonfbr@dfa.ie

Regards

Citizenship Section
A. Mc Cabe
Embassy of Ireland
17 Grosvenor Place
London SW1X 7HR
I emailed for an update last week and received the exact same email back.

They received all my documents on 28 November 2016, so I'm hoping it's not going to be too much longer!

My main worry is that my Irish grandfather never had a birth certificate (I've used a baptism certificate as evidence) and that my dads decree absolute slightly misspelled his surname. Hopefully they will not turn out to be issues, but I can't relax until I actually have the certificate!

happilychilled
Newly Registered

Post by happilychilled » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:50 am

I've somehow stupidly lost my receipt for the recorded delivery return envelope I put in with my application to get all my documents back safely!!!
Can anyone share experiences who have been entered into the register and confirm you got your documents back ok?? I'm worrying they'll get lost in the system somehow and they're obviously quite precious.

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:04 pm

happilychilled wrote:I've somehow stupidly lost my receipt for the recorded delivery return envelope I put in with my application to get all my documents back safely!!!
Can anyone share experiences who have been entered into the register and confirm you got your documents back ok?? I'm worrying they'll get lost in the system somehow and they're obviously quite precious.

When I sent mine in I also included a photocopy of everything that I was sending. I sent them from the US and wasn't advised to send a return envelope. I received all originals back and they kept the photocopies, and the FBR certificate was included inside a clear film sheath (like an inexpensive paper protector) with the letter that I posted previously.

All originals came back in perfect condition.

happilychilled
Newly Registered

Post by happilychilled » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:47 pm

That's brilliant, thanks for letting me know. I can't believe I lost the receipt and was really worried I was going to lose some really important family documents.
I hope my registration comes through soon

Rosem
Newly Registered

Post by Rosem » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 pm

I just came back from a 12 day vacation and found my FBR with my deliveries, so happy! I know they received my FedEX docs in Dublin on Jan. 25 and the letter with the Certificate was dated May 10, and the package had a date of May 25, so it was just about exactly 4 months as predicted! It makes me sad to have to send it right back out for a passport, ha, but I am in NYC so will be able to deliver everything in person. Apparently the passport takes about 8 weeks? And are they very strict about the photo requirements? For instance they say you can wear glasses but I have never done that for a US passport so I'm wondering if I should take them off.

Good luck all!

bgc
Newly Registered

Post by bgc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking on here to see people's updates so thought I'd post my timeline.

Submitted application on the 2nd November, entry was registered on 18th May, letter dated 22nd May and I received those with all documents on 2nd June. I had no communication from them throughout.

Despite my grandmother's name being incorrect on her marriage certificate (they used Mac instead of Mc) and an incorrect age on her death certificate, the DFA had no problem with putting me on the register.

Good luck for you guys who are waiting!

Moggy
Newly Registered

Post by Moggy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:46 pm

bgc wrote:Hi all,

I've been lurking on here to see people's updates so thought I'd post my timeline.

Submitted application on the 2nd November, entry was registered on 18th May, letter dated 22nd May and I received those with all documents on 2nd June. I had no communication from them throughout.

Despite my grandmother's name being incorrect on her marriage certificate (they used Mac instead of Mc) and an incorrect age on her death certificate, the DFA had no problem with putting me on the register.

Good luck for you guys who are waiting!
Thanks, that gives me hope that it won't matter about my dads surname being incorrectly spelt on his decree absolute! I had the same issue (McC instead of Mc).

Moggy
Newly Registered

Post by Moggy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:30 pm

I emailed the Irish email address for an update (rather than the London one) and received this reply:
Your application has been put forward for approval.

We do not have an exact timescale for completion due to the backlog at the moment.

When completed we will send back all your documents with FBR certificate, passport form and instructions on how to fill out this form.
Does anybody know if "put forward for approval" means it's nearly done?

ggbomo
Newly Registered

Post by ggbomo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Evening everyone,

Just thought I'd post my update as I've found this thread useful.

Application sent via London embassy 4th October 2016
FBR certificate dated 8th May 2017
Covering letter dated 15th May 2017
All documents received 1st June 2017

Thanks for all your advice and help. Good luck to everyone!