ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Denmark / Sweden Dependent Visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jilpangs

Denmark / Sweden Dependent Visa

Post by jilpangs » Tue May 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi,

I'm an UK Citizen currently in London. I will placed in Denmark or Sweden for my next project. Location yet to be finalized but one of the above.

I presume, i dont need a work visa to work in either Denmark or Sweden as im UK Citizen.

My wife & Kid are not a UK Citizen yet but they hold ILR.

I need to move to Denmark / Sweden in next 4 weeks. I presume dependent visa is the one i need to process for my family? If yes, please point me to the procedure to follow. Any idea how long it takes?

Can they travel with me on schengen visa (yet to apply one if required).

Thanks
JIL

gokulatti
Member of Standing
Norway

Re: Denmark / Sweden Dependent Visa

Post by gokulatti » Tue May 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Since you are an UK national, you do not need any work permit. your wife and kid hold british residence card therefore they need schengen entry visa free of charge. Once you all move to denmark/sweden, you have to register yourself in the local kommune (you will get a registration certificate) and also put in an application for your spouse and kid as a family member of union national. can be done all at once, you need appointment for this. To do all this you have first 3 months, their residence card should be done in 2 months on average.
For Sweden https://www.migrationsverket.se/English ... izens.html
For Denmark https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_ ... ionals.htm

jilpangs

Post by jilpangs » Tue May 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks Gokulatti.

"Schengen entry visa free of charge". What do you mean by this? We should apply for Schengen Visa but it is free of charge? Where to get this info?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:02 pm

How long will you be away from the UK?

ILR is not permanent if living outside the UK for a certain period.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jilpangs

Post by jilpangs » Wed May 24, 2017 10:08 am

We might be away for 2-3 years. Yes, we are aware of the ILR limitations so we will be visiting UK once in 6 months or so. We might stay for 2-3 weeks. Hope this is fine to keep the ILR active?

Schengen visa is it free of charge for ILR holders? I havent seen this info online. Please guide me.

Thanks
Jil

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 24, 2017 11:07 am

jilpangs wrote:Yes, we are aware of the ILR limitations so we will be visiting UK once in 6 months or so. We might stay for 2-3 weeks. Hope this is fine to keep the ILR active?
Short visits do not keep ILR active. You are expected to be resident in the UK.

It may be better if your wife and children stay behind in the UK, acquire British citizenship and then move to be with you.
jilpangs wrote:Schengen visa is it free of charge for ILR holders?
It is not free of charge for ILR holders. It is free of charge to spouses of EEA citizens visiting other EEA countries. As you are a British citizen and going to Scandinavia, your wife and child should be eligible for free visas from those countries. It has got nothing to do with their ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 am

They expect Returning residents to return for the purpose of settlement, not short visits.

Perhaps your wife should naturalise and child should register (if not British) before moving abroad.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jilpangs

Post by jilpangs » Wed May 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks Simon and Vinny.

I will not be able to leave them alone in UK as they would need my support. Also, we can apply for naturalization only in Oct 2017 or later due to earlier absence which is greater than 450 days in last 5 years.

Is it for sure they will be denied entry if we come back once in 6 months?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 24, 2017 6:13 pm

jilpangs wrote:I will not be able to leave them alone in UK as they would need my support.
If she is an adult, surely she can manage a few months (October is only half a year away) on her own. She can skype with you or call you a few times a day, but surely she can survive on her own, with the child.
jilpangs wrote:Is it for sure they will be denied entry if we come back once in 6 months?
They are unlikely to be refused entry into the UK. They may however lose their ILR towards the end of the two year period, if the IO at the border looks at their pattern of visits and decides that they are visiting and not resident in the UK. The IO can cancel the ILR at the airport itself based on the pattern of visits. Did you go through the whole thread that I linked to and the Returning Residents link that Vinny provided, which explains the law?

Also, in order to naturalise, your wife needs to have spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the past year and no more than 450 days in the past five years. If you, your wife and child stay outside the UK for two years (apart from a few weeks), that is 730 days straightaway. Even if you take 10 weeks out (as staying in the UK), that is still 660 days, more than the allowance for five years. That means that her naturalisation five year period would have to start after she returns back to the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jilpangs

Post by jilpangs » Wed May 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks Simon.

Bit Scared now. Will think about it.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:32 am

jilpangs wrote:Thanks Simon.

Bit Scared now. Will think about it.
As others have suggested, it is best to first get citizenship for your family and then move,
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.