ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

new laws, some senior help please

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

koshynita

new laws, some senior help please

Post by koshynita » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:15 am

I am a naturalised british citizen.
My wife and children ( who were born in india) are on spouse visa given when i got ILR 2 years back and my wifes 2 year visa ends in sept 2008 when she technically can apply for ILR & subsequently apply for british citizenship soon after.
Would the new laws affect her plans?
thanking in advance

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:18 pm

It is unlikely that she will have a problem getting ILR, as new laws will almost certainly not have been implemented by then.

No idea about the citizenship. When will she qualify?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

koshynita

wife & children

Post by koshynita » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:10 pm

thanks victoria for reply
apparently she can apply for citizenship as soon as she is granted ILR.
is that right?

tsvarakadenga2008
Newly Registered

hi

Post by tsvarakadenga2008 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:14 pm

hi
lm not a senior, no professional quali abt immigration but just thot l could answer this, go to the home office website, l think a spouse can apply for naturalisation 12mnths after he/she has been granted ILR.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: wife & children

Post by sakura » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:21 pm

koshynita wrote:thanks victoria for reply
apparently she can apply for citizenship as soon as she is granted ILR.
is that right?
Not necessarily. Are you a British citizen? Was she residing in the UK in another capacity before being granted the spouse visa, or did she obtain the visa outside the UK (i.e. how many years has she been here...give us a timeline)?

koshynita

new laws... more headaches ?

Post by koshynita » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:51 pm

thankyoufor your replies.

i had written and asked on this topic before and john had replied
and i quote :
No, you now being a British Citizen makes no difference to your wife and family ... yet! The ILRs can be applied for in the last 28 days of the validity of the 2-year visas. However, as soon as ILRs granted, applications for Citizenship can be made immediately, given that your wife is now married to a British Citizen .. you! That is, there will be no need to have had ILR for at least one year.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

My question predominantly was ....has things changed with the new laws coming into force ?

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: new laws... more headaches ?

Post by sakura » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:14 pm

koshynita wrote:thankyoufor your replies.

i had written and asked on this topic before and john had replied
and i quote :
No, you now being a British Citizen makes no difference to your wife and family ... yet! The ILRs can be applied for in the last 28 days of the validity of the 2-year visas. However, as soon as ILRs granted, applications for Citizenship can be made immediately, given that your wife is now married to a British Citizen .. you! That is, there will be no need to have had ILR for at least one year.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

My question predominantly was ....has things changed with the new laws coming into force ?
What new laws? Nothing has changed and there are no new laws coming into place for a while yet, at least not until 2009.