ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

VISA for my US partner?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DE1989
Newly Registered

VISA for my US partner?

Post by DE1989 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi,

I am a British National, and my partner is a US citizen. We're both over 18, and we're hoping to get married somewhen in the near future, and have decided we'd prefer to live together in the UK. She is currently living in the US. However we are getting a lot of confusing advice from the CAB and gov.uk websites and would appreciate some independant advice and clarification.

I am currently on Employment and Support Allowance, so I don't believe I need to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship, and we would be staying with my relatives for the time being, so we would have a place to stay and would be able to support her for the immediate future.

We're not entirely sure which VISA route to follow, how long she would need to wait before she could apply for work or indefinite leave to remain, or the possible roadblocks we would encounter. Any advice on how to get started and where to go would be greatly appreciated!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: VISA for my US partner?

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:25 pm

If you marry in the US you will have to apply for a 33 month Spouse Settlement visa. The current fee is £1464 + £600 NHS surcharge.

If you marry in the UK your partner will apply for a fiance visa which will allow her to marry in the UK within 6 months and before the visa expires she will have to apply for a 2.5 years FLR(M) visa. Current fee is £1464 + £933 FLR(M) + £500 NHS surcharge

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:34 pm

You will have to meet the financial requirements if you sponsor your partner.

Point 4.2 of
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... rement.pdf

states that Employment and Support Allowance is not permitted to count towards the financial requirement.

DE1989
Newly Registered

Post by DE1989 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:57 pm

If that's the case, is it actually impossible for us to live together? I have no income or savings outside of ESA, and the chances I will ever make £18,600 per annum if I somehow get off ESA is astronomically slim. That seems extremely unfair.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court upheld the UKVI's tough position.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Choosing the UK route to be together would be challenging given your current financial situation combined with the present visa requirements for family members.

DE1989
Newly Registered

Post by DE1989 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:51 am

Is it possible to jump straight into the 5 year VISA if we decide not to get married right away, or is that 2 year VISA a requirement before that? It's not entirely clear on the websites...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 am

DE1989 wrote:Is it possible to jump straight into the 5 year VISA if we decide not to get married right away, or is that 2 year VISA a requirement before that? It's not entirely clear on the websites...
There is no 2 year visa, it's 2 x 2.5 year visas, ILR then Citizenship if wanted.

You have to be married, there is an unmarried partner visa, but you need to have lived together for two years prior for that.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....