ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Freelance work and meeting requirements of maintenance

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alexk
Newly Registered

Freelance work and meeting requirements of maintenance

Post by alexk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 am

Both my wife and I are resident in South Africa.

I am a British Citizen with no restraints on work in the UK.

My question is this:

As per this section:
9.7 - Assessing adequate means of maintenance for fiancé(e)s and spouses or civil partners
If the applicant and/or sponsor has skills or qualifications which offer a reasonable chance of obtaining employment or already has employment arranged, that should be viewed as sufficient to meet the maintenance requirement without having to make further enquiries.
If I were to have a job offer then we should meet the requirements for maintenance, especially given that our accommodation is free and falls within those specific requirements.

However, given the nature of my job (photographer), finding a full time position is rather difficult as most photographers are either self-employed or freelancers (pretty much the same thing actually).

I have however, been given a tentative offer of freelancer work in the UK, for an event company.

As I understand it, my wife is not allowed to either apply for work, or be offered work, until she has been issued with the visa.

But reading the quoted text, I would see it as:
Me with some work lined up, and her with qualifications (and 10 years managerial experience in radio) should meet those requirements.

Any thoughts?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Your wife can look for work, and if she has job offers that will help the applictaion.

Whether or not this would be enough depends on how much this freelance work will pay, whether you have savings etc.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!