ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC application child born abroad (split)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wasnav

BC application child born abroad (split)

Post by wasnav » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi. I would really appreciate your help and advice. My daughter was born in Pakistan and at her birth her dad had ILR but later on he naturalised to British Citizenship. Me and my husband are divorced now. Me and my daughter have ILR in UK. I intend to apply for her British Citizenship. Shall i go ahead with MN1 form under category 3(1)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BC application child born abroad (split)

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:54 am

Are you also applying? You need her fathers consent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:18 am

Parental consent is not a legal requirement for section 3(1) applications and can be dispensed with or overriden in certain circumstances. These are explained in the Nationality Instructions. However, the complication in this case is that the (apparently) custodial parent is not a British citizen, so there is additional discussion with in the Nationality Instructions:

From Chapter 9 of the Nationality Instructions:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 150402.pdf

9.17.10 If the parents have divorced or separated and the child does not have ongoing contact with the other parent (even if he or she shares parental responsibility for the child) we would normally expect that:

- the parent having the day-to-day responsibility for the child is, or is about to become, a British citizen; or
- is settled here but not a British citizen and there are good reasons why registration would be appropriate, taking into account the examples given in 9.17.11 below

This is more likely to be an issue if the British father does not consent to the application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:55 am

But she mentioned.
wasnav wrote:...I intend to apply for her British Citizenship....
so she will fall under "is about to become, a British citizen". isn't it?
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:49 am

UKBALoveStory wrote:But she mentioned.
wasnav wrote:...I intend to apply for her British Citizenship....
so she will fall under "is about to become, a British citizen". isn't it?

Correct. If the mother meets the residence/other requirements to naturalise, and makes an application at the same time as the child, then based on the Nationality Instructions, the probability is that the child's registration would be granted. It would still be simpler if the British father signs the application- but probably not essential. Although it is not clear from the original poster's prior discussion on forum that the residence requirement for naturalisation is met at this point.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.