ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee for Citizenship appliaction

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ango_26

Referee for Citizenship appliaction

Post by ango_26 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:42 am

Hi Forum Members,

I need your advice and help yet again.

I want to clarify if a person with Computer/IT/Electrical/Electronics/any engineering degree can be used as a referee for the application? Per the list of approved referees, an Engineer (with professional
qualifications) can be a referee but I like to double check.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersons.pdf

Thanks!

ouflak1

Re: Referee for Citizenship appliaction

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:53 pm

By 'professinal qualifications' for engineers, they mean having membership in a chartered society of that field at a professional grade level or above. For IT, that would typically be membership in the BCS (MBCS, Fellow, CEng). For electrical engineers, the IET. And so on....

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:16 pm

I went out of my way to specifically find someone on the list of allowed professions for my one referee (it was a long and hard search) - this was because I phoned UKVI and they said that they could not advise me if a profession was acceptable or not unless it was specifically mentioned in the list.

When I got to the council office, the guy who checked my application said that "IT Engineer" would have been perfectly fine as the "professional" referee - and IT Engineer is NOT on the list.

Official advice is to only go with the list, unofficially, I was told that it didn't have to be like that.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

ango_26

Post by ango_26 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks for reply. This is worrying as I dont really know anyone in the approved list who could be a referee.

I am sure I am not the first one either, what do people do in such case?

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:02 pm

I initially asked my dentist, although I only knew him in his professional role.

I eventually just waited until I began to work at a place that many of my colleagues were members of a professional body and applied after I knew them for the requisite amount of time, which is three years.

ango_26

Post by ango_26 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Hmm! I have also reached out to my dentist but haven't heard back.

Per the list of approved professionals, Chairman/director of limited company can also be a referee. Some of my friends are Director of their limited company which are now dormant and not actively running. Will that work?

This is such a nightmare :)

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm

I would imagine so, as even though a company is dormant, it's still active, although it's not making any returns.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:10 pm

ango_26 wrote:Thanks for reply. This is worrying as I dont really know anyone in the approved list who could be a referee.

I am sure I am not the first one either, what do people do in such case?
They don't qualify for citizenship at that point and wait until they have established such relationships.