ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Requirement for Naturalisation of Spouse on ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dgat
Newly Registered

English Requirement for Naturalisation of Spouse on ILR

Post by dgat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:59 am

Hi,

I had claimed ILR under HSMP Judicial review in 2011. As part of this, my wife was also eligible for ILR along with the same application, and she has been on ILR since then. English language requirements or Life in the UK test were not required for acquisition of ILR at that time.

She did complete Life in UK test in 2013.

We are planning to apply for naturalization for her now.

Is she expected to meet English language requirements ? Or, are they exempt from this?

Thanks for your advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: English Requirement for Naturalisation of Spouse on ILR

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:19 pm

dgat wrote:Hi,

I had claimed ILR under HSMP Judicial review in 2011. As part of this, my wife was also eligible for ILR along with the same application, and she has been on ILR since then. English language requirements or Life in the UK test were not required for acquisition of ILR at that time.

She did complete Life in UK test in 2013.

We are planning to apply for naturalization for her now.

Is she expected to meet English language requirements ? Or, are they exempt from this?

Thanks for your advice.
Refer to https://www.gov.uk/english-language.
Either English test (B1) required or UK Degree, or degree taught in English (with NARIC confirmation).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dgat
Newly Registered

Post by dgat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks. I have looked at this.

The exemption list of settlement talks about
- a highly skilled migrant applying under the terms of the highly skilled migrant program (HSMP) judicial review and your dependants

So, I am presuming that she wont' require to prove English Language requirement.

Is this a right understanding?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:54 pm

No, your understanding is not correct. She is apply for Citizenship and not settlement.

She would have been exempt for Settlement (ILR). She is NOT exempt for citizenship which is a different set of laws and requirements to the immigration rules.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions
If you’re applying for citizenship

There are no other exemptions if you’re applying to become a British citizen. You must have a relevant English language qualification even if you were exempt when you were granted settlement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dgat
Newly Registered

Post by dgat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks. It is clear to me now. Appreciate your help