ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Final step to BC - good character requirement advice please

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

joolzred
inactive

Final step to BC - good character requirement advice please

Post by joolzred » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Hello again folks, many thanks for your great advice 17 months ago - thread here: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 93405.html

My husband entered the UK and claimed asylum immediately early January 2007 and complied with all HO contact requirements to the letter.

He was refused twice but as the HO could not physically send him back to Bhutan he was in limbo-land until July 2010 when the Home Secretary granted him ILR on basis of his family life with me here (application made 2009).

We were married in August 2012.

He has now passed both his LITUK test (2016) and his SELT B1 level test (Jan 2107)

He has been a very good chap and has no convictions or police contact since arriving.

My question is - when does the 10 years 'good character' period start from? The day he registered with the Home Office in 2007? He has never deviated from their requirements for registering, signing in, contact etc.

Or is it from the day he received his ILR in 2010?

We have saved up the £1200+ for his AN application and Passport and would be devastated to lose it all if we made a mistake

I am somewhat confused by the terminology used by the HO so would really appreciate some advice. I am very thankful to anyone who can advise.

joolzred
inactive

Re: Final step to BC - good character requirement advice ple

Post by joolzred » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:55 pm

A friendly bump :)

joolzred
inactive

Re: British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

Post by joolzred » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:45 am

Hello again folks, many thanks for your great advice 17 months ago - thread here: british-citizenship/does-my-husband-need-a-b1-english-qualification-confused-t193405.html

My husband entered the UK illegally but claimed asylum immediately on arrival January 2007 and complied with all HO contact requirements to the letter.

He was refused twice but as the HO could not physically send him back to Bhutan he was in limbo-land until July 2010 when the Home Secretary usinger her discretion granted him ILR on basis of his family life with me here (application made 2009).

We were married in August 2012.

He has now passed both his LITUK test (2016) and his SELT B1 level test (Jan 2107)

He has been a very good chap and has no convictions or police contact since arriving.

My question is - when does the 10 years 'good character' period start from? The day he registered with the Home Office in 2007? He has never deviated from their requirements for registering, signing in, contact etc.

Or is it from the day he received his ILR in 2010?

We have saved up the £1200+ for his AN application and Passport and would be devastated to lose it all if we made a mistake

I am somewhat confused by the terminology used by the HO so would really appreciate some advice. I am very thankful to anyone who can advise.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:08 am

All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

joolzred
inactive

Post by joolzred » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:45 am

Thank you noajthan, I appreciate your help

"9.5 Illegal Entry
In circumstances where an applicant entered the UK illegally, an application for citizenship should normally be refused for a period of 10 years from the date of entry, if it is known. If it is not known, the period of 10 years starts from the date on which the person first brought themselves to or came to the attention of the Home Office."

This is the information we needed! We can go ahead with January 2017 :) We are planning an NCS visit to do a JCAP and hope that his application should be fairly simple for the HO to determine.

joolzred
inactive

Post by joolzred » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:45 pm

Hello all, I just wanted to update this thread and thank you all again for your advice and guidance.

We made the joint citizenship & passport application with NCS in mid-January this year, in early May had a letter from the HO asking for extra details about when he first became known to the HO etc etc to which I sent back all their own letters from 2007-2010. The case worker hadn't checked (or couldn't) all the background information.

Today he received the MAGIC LETTER!!! His application has been approved and we are just waiting for the ceremony and certificate, and then his passport.

SO HAPPY!! It's been a decade of various steps up the mountain but soon we will be at the top!

Thank you all :D