ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What proves that you are a british citizen...

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lulu2
Newly Registered

What proves that you are a british citizen...

Post by lulu2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi,

I was wondering what proves that you are a British citizen after your citizenship is approved?

After the ceremony, from what I understand, you don't need to get a passport. How would you prove that you are a British citizen without it though?
Would you be forced to have a British passport to prove it?

It might be a daft question but I just wondered...

Thank you for your help!

vinny

Re: What proves that you are a british citizen...

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 pm

If you are traveling to the UK from outside the UK, you will almost certainly require either a British passport or a CoE-RoA in your foreign passport to prove that you are a British citizen to the Border Control.

Within the UK, as vinny has advised, your naturalisation/registration certificate is authoritative proof that you are a British citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

lulu2
Newly Registered

Post by lulu2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Thank you for your help!

Does ROA require a different form?

I have an EU passport and wondered if I could keep it until it expires and only then apply for a British passport. Given that there are at least another 20months before Brexit takes place, I thought about leaving it until then.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 pm

You are free to travel on your EU passport. There is n9 legal requirement that you must apply for a British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 pm

lulu2 wrote:Does ROA require a different form?
Form RoA
CR001 wrote:You are free to travel on your EU passport. There is n9 legal requirement that you must apply for a British passport.
That is of course pre-Brexit. Post Brexit, you may require proof of being a British citizen, either a British passport or a CoE-RoA.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.