ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married visa - please help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

peterv26
Newly Registered

Married visa - please help

Post by peterv26 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:56 pm

I am a British citizen living in England with my girlfriend who is South African. She is on a working permit with limited leave to remain until December. We would really like to get married before December so she can apply for a spouse visa rather than reapplying for a work permit or an unmarried partners visa.
The question is - can we get married in Las Vegas, return to England and then apply for the spousal visa?
Will the USA wedding certificate be sufficient to apply or would we need other documents etc.?

Thanks in advance for advice anyone can give.

Dave_Was
Newly Registered

Post by Dave_Was » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Another question to ask would be if you got married in Las Vegas, would you be able to go to Los Angeles and apply for a spousal visa from there?

I don't know the answer but it might be an option.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:48 pm

See also 8.1 To which Post/Commercial Partner should an applicant apply. It may not be possible for her to apply for a spouse visa in Los Angeles.

However, after her marriage, while she is on a valid work permit and leave to enter/remain, she may switch to FLR(M) in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

peterv26
Newly Registered

Post by peterv26 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:30 am

Thanks very much for the advice.
My girlfriend has since spoken to a lawyer and they have said as long as she has entry clearance to return to England from USA e.g her current work permit, she can apply for the spousal visa back in the uk with the USA marriage certificate.
Hope this can be of help to anybody else too.