ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Clarifications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

krssubbu

British Citizenship Clarifications

Post by krssubbu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of applying for citizenship but unclear of few things. can you please provide me some clarification please?

1. How do I know my partner (Dependent of me) is 3/5 year? Also my daughter (minor)
2. My wife came to UK on Feb 2010 (ON ILR) but left UK for maternity in JULY 2012 and came back to UK again in June 2012 (her visa expire and re-applied for ILR) - is this ok ?
3. I have been on ILR since 2011. I am yet to apply for BC. can my wife apply along with me or can she ALONE apply for BC and I remain on ILR (for various reasons!)
4. I have done my Masters and Bachelors equivalent to UK - Do i need my life in UK test?
5. My wife had her Life in UK test done before she obtained her ILR - does she need to do again ?
6. I have been out of country for 70 days for work reasons - is travel for work exempted ? Also do I leave the day i leave and enter UK while calculating ?
7. I am self employed - what documents are needed from me ? (like payslips, p60?)
8. My wife is a director my company and she had been working else where as well - what documents are needed from her ? (like payslips, p60?)
9. For professional references, I believe the person needs to have known for 3 years - can this be my accountant ? and the 2nd reference my friend who is naturalized BC recently ?
10. what documents are needed for my child ?

Thanks

secret.simon

Re: British Citizenship Clarifications

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:18 pm

krssubbu wrote:1. How do I know my partner (Dependent of me) is 3/5 year? Also my daughter (minor)
The question is unclear. If you mean when your wife can apply for naturalisation, she can apply for naturalisation after 3 years AND ILR if you are a British citizen. Given that ILR takes 5 years anyway, that effectively means that she must wait for five years.

If your daughter was born outside the UK, she will follow the immigration path of the less privileged parent (in your case, the mother) and can be registered for British citizenship when one parent has British citizenship and both the other parent and the daughter herself have ILR.
krssubbu wrote:2. My wife came to UK on Feb 2010 (ON ILR) but left UK for maternity in JULY 2012 and came back to UK again in June 2012 (her visa expire and re-applied for ILR) - is this ok ?
When you say "ON ILR", do you mean that she had ILR herself or did she apply as an ILR dependent?
krssubbu wrote:3. I have been on ILR since 2011. I am yet to apply for BC. can my wife apply along with me or can she ALONE apply for BC and I remain on ILR (for various reasons!)
She can apply on her own after one year of having acquired ILR, if you are not a British citizen.
krssubbu wrote:4. I have done my Masters and Bachelors equivalent to UK - Do i need my life in UK test?
Yes. No need for English test, but you do need a Life in the UK test.
krssubbu wrote:5. My wife had her Life in UK test done before she obtained her ILR - does she need to do again ?
No.
krssubbu wrote:6. I have been out of country for 70 days for work reasons - is travel for work exempted ?
No.
krssubbu wrote:Also do I leave the day i leave and enter UK while calculating ?
No, only whole days outside the UK count as an absence for immigration purposes.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:56 am

Hi Simon

Thanks for the answers and sorry about not explaining clearly - let me try go again now (please see questions asked again below the original ones

1. How do I know my partner (Dependent of me) is 3/5 year? Also my daughter (minor) -
My wife and daughter are on ILR dependent at the moment and to apply for citizenship how long do they do wait ?
2. My wife came to UK on Feb 2010 (ON ILR) but left UK for maternity in JULY 2012 and came back to UK again in June 2012 (her visa expire and re-applied for ILR) - is this ok ?
she is ILR dependant of me

3. I have been on ILR since 2011. I am yet to apply for BC. can my wife apply along with me or can she ALONE apply for BC and I remain on ILR (for various reasons!)
so she is on ILR dependant, can she alone apply for BC without me

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:52 pm

any thoughts please?

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:54 am

anyone any ideas / thoughts please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:22 am

Your posts really are not very clear.

Please state the start and expiry dates and the category of each visa your wife has held since she came to the UK, in the format below.

Visa category
Visa Start
Visa Expiry date

When you say she is on a ILR Dependent visa, what EXACTLY do you mean? ILR dependent visa is often used and confused with the visa category of "Spouse of person Settled" visa. Does she hold a spouse visa or does she actually hold ILR???
My wife came to UK on Feb 2010 (ON ILR)
And it is not clear at all what you mean by this "ON ILR"??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:51 pm

First time Visa - Tier 1 Dependant
arrived in UK: Feb 2010
Left UK: Jun 2011

Second time Visa - Tier 1 dependant
arrived in UK: June 2012

ILR obtained - June 2014

Hopefully it clarifies - let me know if you need further clarification - now questions are:
1. Does she need to wait for 3 or 5 year to obtain BR?
2. can my wife apply for BC without me applying ?
3. am self employed - what documents are needed from me ? (like payslips, p60?)
4. My wife is a director my company and she had been working else where as well - what documents are needed from her ? (like payslips, p60?)
5. For professional references, I believe the person needs to have known for 3 years - can this be my accountant ? and the 2nd reference my friend who is naturalized BC recently ?
6. what documents are needed for my child ?
7. I have obtained 5 PCN (bus lane, late picking up of car) etc - will this affect my BC?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:59 pm

1. Does she need to wait for 3 or 5 year to obtain BR?
5 years. She clearly is NOT married to a British citizen if you are not yet British.
2. can my wife apply for BC without me applying ?
Yes. Citizenship application is completely independent from your. There is no 'dependent citizenship' application.
3. am self employed - what documents are needed from me ? (like payslips, p60?)
If she qualifies in her own right, she needs nothing from you. Her application has nothing to do with you at all.
4. My wife is a director my company and she had been working else where as well - what documents are needed from her ? (like payslips, p60?)
Read the form and guidance notes.
5. For professional references, I believe the person needs to have known for 3 years - can this be my accountant ? and the 2nd reference my friend who is naturalized BC recently ?
Yes. Account only if he is registered with the relevant accounting body.
6. what documents are needed for my child ?
Read the MN1 form and guidance notes. Assuming your child has ILR, then child can apply at same time as mother.

You have not stated her visa expiry dates as I asked.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks CR001

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Sorry just noticed your question regarding Visa Expiry

Her visa expires in 2019 i think

regarding,

1. I have obtained 5 PCN (bus lane, late picking up of car) etc - will this affect my BC?
2. For my BC application, what documents are needed if i am self employed?