ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Double descent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Debhansen
Newly Registered

Double descent

Post by Debhansen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 am

My son is Australian and wants to apply for citizenship by double descent. He has British born grandparents who now live in Australia. His grandfather was a Major in the Australian Reserve Army for many years. Will this qualify for Crown Service and entitle him to double descent?

MrSlyFox

Re: Double descent

Post by MrSlyFox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:12 am

He can only register as an British Citizen if under 18.

Crown service must be in service for the government of the Uk, not the Australian government. What were the dates of his parents marriage, if they married prior to 1949 the wife had British Citizen conferred (I.e. Otherwise than by decent) which makes the son automatically British if born after 1983 or eligible to register before then.

If he wishes to live in the UK I suggest the ancestry entry clearance (by virtue of having uk born grandparents), he can then obtain indefinite leave to remain (UK name for permanent residency) then naturalise a process that will take six years.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Double descent

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:34 am

MrSlyFox wrote:He can only register as an British Citizen if under 18.
Although- there is no entitlement to registration for those under 18 with a British born grandparent.
Crown service must be in service for the government of the Uk, not the Australian government. What were the dates of his parents marriage, if they married prior to 1949 the wife had British Citizen conferred (I.e. Otherwise than by decent) which makes the son automatically British if born after 1983 or eligible to register before then.
Complex issue. If they married before 1949 then wife would have become a Citizen of the U.K. & Colonies and then from 1983 a British citizen- but if the man to whom she was married was a British citizen by descent, then she would also be a British citizen by descent. On the other hand, if the grandson was born before 1983- there might well be a UKM claim for British citizenship.
If he wishes to live in the UK I suggest the ancestry entry clearance (by virtue of having uk born grandparents), he can then obtain indefinite leave to remain (UK name for permanent residency) then naturalise a process that will take six years.
This is the standard option for Commonwealth country citizens with a U.K. born grandparent.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.