ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 4 (student visa) to Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kmml
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 4 (student visa) to Tier 2

Post by kmml » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:29 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to get a clarification on the conditions for switching from a Tier 4 to a Tier 2. I have a UK masters degree but decided to proceed to a PHD after not getting a job. Now in my first year of my Phd (on which my current Tier 4 visa is based), I get a Graduate Job based on my Master degree qualification. Is it possible to switch at this point from my Tier 4 to the Tier 2 visa if the company is willing to sponsor?

In any case i will have to quit my Phd but my real question is: Is it the case that switching to Tier 2 from Tier 4 can only be done after completing the specific program on which my current Tier 4 is based or it really doesn't matter as long as I have a Tier 4 and a new Tier 2 employer willing to take on my sponsorship, without completing the degree for which I got my current Tier 4? Also, is it possible that my University sends a letter to home office if I want to quit my degree thereby preventing the switch?

Anyone with experience or ideas in this area, I will appreciate your inputs. Thanks!

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Switching from Tier 4 (student visa) to Tier 2

Post by iworker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:50 pm

in my opinion, you should be able to change your visa within uk, but rlmt may need to be done as your current student visa is not the one on which you completed a degree.
In any case, my best advise is, only quit the phd once u change the visas, and are starting the job.

hollymoly
Newly Registered

Re: Switching from Tier 4 (student visa) to Tier 2

Post by hollymoly » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:39 am

I think you should be able to switch Tier 4 to Tier 2 as long as you meet those criteria.
Generally speaking, you do not need to carry out Resident Labour Market Test when switching Tier 4 to 2. 'Tier2 sponsor guidance' explains in detail about it. Personally, despite incompletion of phD, you have last granted as Tier 4 with your master degree. But I am no expert so perhaps discuss this with HR team in the company