ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling with PR card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Daniann
Algeria

Traveling with PR card

Post by Daniann » Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Hello guys
Am family member of EEA , I have got my PR already few days ago .
Can I travel within EU without visa using only PR card ?
Thank you

Daniann
Algeria

Re: Traveling with PR card

Post by Daniann » Sat May 20, 2017 10:05 am

Daniann wrote:Hello guys
Am family member of EEA , I have got my PR already few days ago .
Can I travel within EU without visa using only PR card ?
Thank you
Hi moderators,
Can you give mean answer please
Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:16 am

You need your passport as well - the PR card is not a travel document as far as I know, but is useful on re-entry to UK if you are non-EEA.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Daniann
Algeria

Post by Daniann » Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 am

alterhase58 wrote:You need your passport as well - the PR card is not a travel document as far as I know, but is useful on re-entry to UK if you are non-EEA.
I understand that , but if I want to go for holiday within EU do I need visa ?

zubby007
Member of Standing

Post by zubby007 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Daniann wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:You need your passport as well - the PR card is not a travel document as far as I know, but is useful on re-entry to UK if you are non-EEA.
I understand that , but if I want to go for holiday within EU do I need visa ?
It depends on the EU country you wish to travel to, although you need a visa to travel to most of the EU countries with your PR

1, I believe you can travel without a visa to Cyprus (Greek) on your PR
2, I believe its just 3 countries within the EU but I honestly cant remember the others. hopefully some gurus should help out mate.

Mandokinha2701

Post by Mandokinha2701 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:12 pm

If you do not need visa for EU countries any problems on the way back in the UK if you are travelling without EEA National?

Daniann
Algeria

Post by Daniann » Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 pm

Mandokinha2701 wrote:If you do not need visa for EU countries any problems on the way back in the UK if you are travelling without EEA National?
Am traveling alone for just few days without my wife as she can't travel now due to her job ..
can someone help and give me precise answer please .. any moderator can answer please

wegiwegi
Switzerland

Post by wegiwegi » Sun May 21, 2017 8:30 am

Residence permits issued by countries outside the Schengen area do not allow non-EU family members to travel visa-free to a Schengen area country

And you travelling without your wife, you will need to obtain a schengen visa
Timeline:
Fourth application sent 21.07.17
HO received 24.07.17
Paid on 25.07.17
Biometrics 23.08.17
COA received 07.09.17
Passports received 07.09.16
Documents returned 13.11.17 dated 09
RC 13.11.17 dated 09

Mandokinha2701

Post by Mandokinha2701 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 am

wegiwegi wrote:Residence permits issued by countries outside the Schengen area do not allow non-EU family members to travel visa-free to a Schengen area country

I don't need visa for countries in the schengen area. My concern i problems with IO at UK border control on my way back home. Holding PR and traveling without partner may cause problems or not?

Remawirah
Newly Registered

Post by Remawirah » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:47 am

Mandokinha2701 wrote:
wegiwegi wrote:Residence permits issued by countries outside the Schengen area do not allow non-EU family members to travel visa-free to a Schengen area country

I don't need visa for countries in the schengen area. My concern i problems with IO at UK border control on my way back home. Holding PR and traveling without partner may cause problems or not?
Hi, am in almost similar dilemma of not knowing if i require a schengen visa to drive to france and spain for summer holidays with my family. I also have pr card that states "residence card of a family member of a union citizen". Im planning to drive with my eu spouse and kids to france but am not sure about schengen visa requirements.

Do you have a link that confirms pr card holders don't require a visa to travel in a schengen area.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:54 am

Do you have a link that confirms pr card holders don't require a visa to travel in a schengen area.
Maybe this helps, but seems not the answer you are looking for:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr ... dex_en.htm
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Remawirah
Newly Registered

Post by Remawirah » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:02 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Maybe this helps, but seems not the answer you are looking for:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr ... dex_en.htm
Thanks, the information on the link doesn't answer my query and some of the information doesn't appear accurate e.g. "Residence permits issued by countries outside the Schengen area do not allow non-EU family members to travel visa-free to a Schengen area country". I was able to travel freely in the schengen area with uk issued residence card in the past.

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Mandokinha2701 wrote:My concern i problems with IO at UK border control on my way back home. Holding PR and traveling without partner may cause problems or not?
No, it won't (at least if the IO has the slightest idea what they're doing). Even though PR was gained through your EEA sponsor, once confirmed (PR card issued) it is independent of your EEA sponsor. Whether they are with you or not, in the country or not, or even alive or not is no longer relevant.

Remawirah
Newly Registered

Post by Remawirah » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:49 pm

I have finally found the answer, PR holders don't require a visa to visit France.
"My British residency card states that I am the “Family Member of an EEA national”. Do I require a visa to travel to France?
If your British residency card states “Family Member of an EEA national”, that you are :
the spouse,
the child under 21,
or dependant,
or direct dependant parent of an EU national;
and you are either travelling together with this person or going to meet them in France, you do not require a visa to travel.
However, if you fail to meet any of these criteria, you do require a visa to travel.
Please note that the quality of simply “being” a family member of an EEA national does not remove the passport holder’s requirement to obtain a visa for travel."

https://fr.tlscontact.com/gb/lon/page.p ... #need_visa