ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Yet another marriage of convenience refusal

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

boosh
Newly Registered

Yet another marriage of convenience refusal

Post by boosh » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi all,

First of all let me thank you all for the wealth of information on this board. And secondly let me apologise for the lengthy post.

I am Danish citizen and my Wife is Russian. We have been together for 3 years and married for one. I used to live in the UK but between 2015 and 2017 we lived together at my parents place in Turkey. For the past 6 months we have been house sitting for a friend in Athens, so as you can imagine, we do not have any really proof of cohabitation.

She made her application for an EEA FP a couple of weeks ago here in Athens and got the rejection letter yesterday:

In assessing your application Member States are entitle to be satisfied that you are not party to a marriage of convenience. A married of convenience can be taken to refer to one that does not have substance. Qualifying as a spouse under Regulation 7 extends beyond a valid marriage certificate.

While you have provided a marriage certificate to show that you were married on the 10/06/2016 the evidence before me does no indicate that your relationship with the EEA national can reasonably be considered as one of substance.

You state you first met your spouse on 28/10/2014 and that your relationship started on 20/11/2014. However, aside from your marriage certificate, you have not provided any documents to demonstrate you are in a genuine subsisting relationship. For example you have to provided any photographs showing you and your spouse together at any time before, at or since your marriage. You have provided any evidence of communication or contact between you and your spouse at any stage of your relationship. you have provided no evidence to show how, where and when you met, no evidence of how you have kept in contact during periods apart before and since your marriage and no evidence of cohabitation.

I also note that in your previous visa application form (submitted on 04/05/2015) you declared that you were single.

It is reasonable to expect that in a genuine subsisting, supportive and affection relationship, that there would be significant evidence of regular contact, signs of companionship, emotional support, affection and an abiding interest in each other’s welfare, and well-being. Given the lack of evidence of personal contact and contact between you, I am not satisfied that you have genuinely formed a genuine and durable relationship with outward signs of affection and companionship. You have therefore failed to demonstrate satisfactorily that both you and your sponsor intend to live permanently with each other as his or her spouse or that there is any affection and support between you. You have also failed to demonstrate that there is any substance to the marriage and this gives rise to suspicions that your marriage is one of convenience to facilitate your entry to the UK. I am therefore not satisfied that your relationship with your sponsor is subsisting.

The definition of ‘spouse’ in the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 does not include a party to a marriage of convenience. I am not satisfied that you are not party to a marriage of convenience and are therefore not the family member of an EEA national in accordance with the Regulation 7 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016.

I therefore refuse your EEA Family Permit application because I am not satisfied that you meet all of the requirements of regulations 7 and 12 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016

After having spent time on this forum I was not surprised. She will have to leave the Schengen area soon but she plans to reapply in Moscow this week. I have written the following cover letter:

For the attention of the Entry Clearance Officer,

This is the second time my wife, Mrs Boosh, d.o.b. xx-xx-xxxx, is applying for an EEA Family Permit. Her first application was refused on what I believe to be wrongful grounds as the Entry Clearance Officer failed to request further documentation when he suspected our marriage to be one of convenience. He also failed to request her to attend an interview as set out in the guidelines published by the UK Home Office in “EEA family permits: guidance for entry clearance officers”, and further exemplified in the Upper Tribunal hearing Papajorgji (EEA spouse - marriage of convenience) Greece (2012) UKUT 00038(IAC).

She is submitting her second application in Moscow as she has returned to visit family. She usually resides with me at my parents second home in Turkey, or for the past 6 months at a common friend of ours in Athens.

By writing this letter I again confirm that I, Boosh, citizen of Denmark, d.o.b. xx-xx-xxxx, intend to travel to the UK and in accordance with EEA regulations wish to be joined by my wife, Iuliia Lukianchikova.

To address some issues raised in by the Entrance Clearance Officer in his refusal of her EEA Family Permit (copy inclosed):

While you have provided a marriage certificate to show that you were married on the 10/06/2016 the evidence before me does no indicate that your relationship with the EEA national can reasonably be considered as one of substance.

You state you first met your spouse on 28/10/2014 and that your relationship started on 20/11/2014. However, aside from your marriage certificate, you have not provided any documents to demonstrate you are in a genuine subsisting relationship. For example you have to provided any photographs showing you and your spouse together at any time before, at or since your marriage. You have provided any evidence of communication or contact between you and your spouse at any stage of your relationship. you have provided no evidence to show how, where and when you met, no evidence of how you have kept in contact during periods apart before and since your marriage and no evidence of cohabitation.

She did not enclose any photos, telephone call logs, private emails or the like as this is not a requirement for issuing the EEA Family Permit under EEA regulations. Neither were they asked for at any point while submitting the application. During his investigation, the Entrance Clearance officer failed to request any additional proof of our relationship.

I also note that in your previous visa application form (submitted on 04/05/2015) you declared that you were single.

While making an application for a visitors visa to the UK in 2015 she listed herself as single for the simple reason that at the time she was neither married, engaged, in a civil-partnership or widowed. This does not exclude her from being in a romantic relationship. Again the Entrance Clearance Officer failed to investigate this.

It is reasonable to expect that in a genuine subsisting, supportive and affection relationship, that there would be significant evidence of regular contact, signs of companionship, emotional support, affection and an abiding interest in each other’s welfare, and well-being. Given the lack of evidence of personal contact and contact between you, I am not satisfied that you have genuinely formed a genuine and durable relationship with outward signs of affection and companionship. You have therefore failed to demonstrate satisfactorily that both you and your sponsor intend to live permanently with each other as his or her spouse or that there is any affection and support between you. You have also failed to demonstrate that there is any substance to the marriage and this gives rise to suspicions that your marriage is one of convenience to facilitate your entry to the UK. I am therefore not satisfied that your relationship with your sponsor is subsisting.

Again, the Entrance Clearance Officer failed to request either of us to attend an interview, nor did he request any evidence of the nature of our marriage or our relationship.

Should you have continuing doubts about the validity of our marriage you are welcome to contact me on +123456789 or some@email.com.

To support her second application, we enclose the following documents:

• A signed application form

• Wedding certificate

• Passport

Prof of my EEA nationality in the form of my Danish passport

I trust that this is sufficient for issuing her with an EEA family permit and that her application will be approved with no delay.

Kind regards,

Boosh

We do not plan to appeal at this stage but wait until we hear back from VAC in Moscow. Is there anything else we should be doing?

Thank you

Ps. I would love to see the UKBA's definition of a "genuine subsisting, supportive and affection relationship" perhaps they could write some couples therapy books. And this statement just made me laugh "signs of companionship, emotional support, affection and an abiding interest in each other’s welfare, and well-being."

Zuly1820

Re: Yet another marriage of convenience refusal

Post by Zuly1820 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:11 pm

I'm by no means an expert but even though photos are not "essential" requirements they are recommended requirements which only support your case - and they are listed in the documents list.

With so many sham marriages happening I think it's reasonable that they want to see more evidence of your relationship.

I would suggest adding as much proof you have of your relationship as possible otherwise you'll be giving them more reasons to doubt.

boosh
Newly Registered

Post by boosh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am

I have no problem with them questioning our relationship and they should do all they can to investigate sham marriages. But they did nothing to investigate and on the basis of draws the conclusion that our marriage is without substance. At best this is insulting and at worst gross incompetence. Or perhaps politically motivated. I don't know which is worst.

Do you think it is a good idea to submit call logs, photos and print out of messages when making the second application or should we wait until they, hopefully, request it? I fear if we submit it with the application they will just make something else up.

LiYu
Newly Registered

Post by LiYu » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:55 am

I believe you should provide everything you can to support your application. Since you're marriage for such short period, try to show all the possible proofs of you relationship. My friends had dated for 13 years and got married a year before applying for the EEA FP. They submitted pictures together of them in different occasions (different hair cut, traveling, etc).

Apparently you guys have lived apart, so you should bring up all demonstrate those contacts you maintained. I'd suggest maybe flight tickets...? Amazon account? Anything you that you've done together. Oh, also I've read somewhere in this forum that they are very picky with the pictures, they might demand for pictures in public, and with more people than just you two.

But anyways, I think you should reapply whilst wait t for their reply to you enquiry.

Good luck. :)

Zuly1820

Post by Zuly1820 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:47 am

LiYu wrote:I believe you should provide everything you can to support your application. Since you're marriage for such short period, try to show all the possible proofs of you relationship. My friends had dated for 13 years and got married a year before applying for the EEA FP. They submitted pictures together of them in different occasions (different hair cut, traveling, etc).

Apparently you guys have lived apart, so you should bring up all demonstrate those contacts you maintained. I'd suggest maybe flight tickets...? Amazon account? Anything you that you've done together. Oh, also I've read somewhere in this forum that they are very picky with the pictures, they might demand for pictures in public, and with more people than just you two.

But anyways, I think you should reapply whilst wait t for their reply to you enquiry.

Good luck. :)
Agree with the above! I submitted a few pictures of my wedding including our family, honeymoon pictures, and whatsapp chat history and got rejected because pictures didn't have any dates! Ridiculous! But to stand a higher chance to get accepted just submit EVERYTHING you have that proofs your relationship! I mean its better than not submitting the photos getting rejected again and having to either appeal or go through the application process again. Just address each of the rejection points and tell them you have attached such and such and evidence for each point!
For the second application I ended submitting the whole wedding album, about 30 pictures of our honeymoon and few other random pictures, travel tickets, screenshots of our whatsapp conversations, receipts of things we did and bough in our honeymoon (adventure parks etc)! An a comprehensive explanation that dates on pictures do not proof authenticity as they can be easily photoshopped!
Let's see if that's enough!

All the best :)

boosh
Newly Registered

Post by boosh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:17 pm

LiYu wrote:Apparently you guys have lived apart, so you should bring up all demonstrate those contacts you maintained. I'd suggest maybe flight tickets...? Amazon account? Anything you that you've done together. Oh, also I've read somewhere in this forum that they are very picky with the pictures, they might demand for pictures in public, and with more people than just you two.
We have been living together for over two years, although the first flat we lived in was in my name and 6 months later we moved into my parents holiday home in Turkey and lived there for over a year so no contract was drawn up. For the past 6 months we have been house sitting a friends place in Greece so again no contract.

We both work as freelancers and have lived a nomadic lifestyle so there is not a lot of paper trail to prove cohabitation which is one thing I worry about. Also I hate having my picture taken so not many photos either. And finally, we never communicate by email, we use messenger for matter of fact thinks and then call each other if it is something more important so again not a lot of tangible proof there either.

This is one thing I do worry about, as we don't seem to fit neatly in their 'cookie cutter' approach to what a marriage is like.

She had to go back to Moscow and have reapplied from there adding some photos, call logs and print out of some conversations. I hope that will be enough as I don't really know what else to submit.

boosh
Newly Registered

Post by boosh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Zuly1820 wrote:Agree with the above! I submitted a few pictures of my wedding including our family, honeymoon pictures, and whatsapp chat history and got rejected because pictures didn't have any dates! Ridiculous! But to stand a higher chance to get accepted just submit EVERYTHING you have that proofs your relationship! I mean its better than not submitting the photos getting rejected again and having to either appeal or go through the application process again. Just address each of the rejection points and tell them you have attached such and such and evidence for each point!
For the second application I ended submitting the whole wedding album, about 30 pictures of our honeymoon and few other random pictures, travel tickets, screenshots of our whatsapp conversations, receipts of things we did and bough in our honeymoon (adventure parks etc)! An a comprehensive explanation that dates on pictures do not proof authenticity as they can be easily photoshopped!
Let's see if that's enough!

All the best :)
That's a good idea, I hadn't thought about submitting receipts for things we've done together. Like traveling. I've got an email I wrote to a lawyer about buying a house with my wife. At least that shows that we are looking to buy something together. Will the look at that as evidence of a relationship though?

While we are reapplying, with the above cover letter, should we appeal, write a letter of complaint to the embassy or UKVI simultaneously??